The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old May 20, 2018, 11:28 AM   #26
WaidMann

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeekAndMild View Post
Well, thank you, that's a start. I didn't know they called them garlands, so will start searching the net using that word. You wouldn't know, would you, if it is a Celtic, Viking, Frankish or Teutonic ritual, whether it involves the pagan pantheons or whether it historically predates the pagan religions?

Any of our Pagans or Wiccans or SCA buffs out there who can help out on this question?
Excuse me for reviving this thread from the dark depths to which it has succumbed to. I registered to this forum just for the reason to answer this question, and I hope it satisfies many of you, and if you please, share this knowledge with your brethren.

I'm a hunter from The Netherlands, and also have a revier in Germany, and also try to maintain and promote the many hunting traditions we (the Dutch share the same traditions as the Germans) have, in an answer to the ongoing 'Americanisation' (as we commonly refer to) of our hunting. I know this is for naught, and within a decade hunters on this side of the puddle will don 'camo-leggings' as well, and have forgotten the art of blowing a hunting horn. But that aside.

Yes, the European hunting rituals mostly stem from pre-Christian rituals in days of old. I've came across several German texts that were translated into Dutch detailing them. Although these were penned down during the dark age of Nazi-Germany, one could argue whether these texts are any reliable (seeing how the Germans were obsessed with pre-Christian rituals, and they've cooked up many of them, mixing them with ancient Hindu rituals).

Observe the tableau for instance. This was an offering ceremony for the Gods, and the moment the animals' spirits leave for the 'other world', hence the wood fires on each wind direction. In days of old, this would also include naked virgins dancing around it, wearing fern crowns and waving prayer sticks adorned with curled shavings of the five main trees. But nowadays, we'll do with blowing horns signaling for the different animals on the tableau. The horns themselves are (with some modern exceptions) all natural horns without valves.

The 'last bite' also serves a purpose. Not only gives it the spirit of the animal sustenance on it's way to the afterlife. Your scent that clings to it will make sure the animal will find it's way to your ancestors to tell them about you. They will then give the animal generous rewards and gifts.
You are therefore forbidden to step over the animal, otherwise you'll prevent the spirit of the animal from leaving it's body. Especially when you're fielddressing it, and you've opened the stomach, you should take note of this as the spirit wants to leave as soon as you've opened the stomach. (this is thaught in hunter education even today)

The animal is to be carried from the place it fell, to the tableau, with it's face facing forward. This way, it can have a last look at where it had lived it's entire life.

As the hunt starts, it always start with a signaling of the start of the hunt. Not only does this have a use to warn anybody in the vicinity that people with guns will be walking around, but it's earliest purpose was to ask the spirits of the woods to grant access. Subsequently, one should take a bath in a nearby creek or water before that, as the spirits of the mountain are female and may become jealous as they smell other women on you. (the modern explanation is to wash yourselves with the smell of the mountain)

I may add more if I come up with them.
Old May 20, 2018, 12:18 PM   #27
T. O'Heir

OP is from 2002.
"...Pagans or Wiccans..." Everything about those 2 are totally 100% invented in the 20th Century. There are no SCA rituals.
"...the ongoing 'Americanisation'..." The 2 year Community College level hunter's safety course in Germany will halt that.
Old May 20, 2018, 07:26 PM   #28
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

I vaguely recall reading that pagans date back many centuries, and that wiccans is but another word for witches--for which England and New England were noted.