The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old March 14, 2019, 09:58 PM   #1
TXAZ

The lightest trigger you’ve ever pulled?

For a rifle, bolt or semi, what is the lightest trigger you’ve ever pulled, and what rifle was it in?

Cave illos in guns et backhoes
Old March 14, 2019, 10:27 PM   #2
50 shooter

2 ounce, on a .50!

I sat down behind it, loaded it, lined up the target, as I was putting my finger in the trigger guard it brushed up against the trigger and BOOOOM! Holy F@%K, what the f@%kin f@%k just happened!

That's when the owner told me how light the trigger was! I made sure I was ready on the next shot. Barely put my finger against the trigger and then when ready, put light pressure against the trigger and it went bang.

It was extremely nice but if it were mine I would warn people ahead of time. My .50 has a 2 pound trigger and I still warn people.
No time for rearranging.
Old March 14, 2019, 11:15 PM   #3
Rspeters

Set trigger in a CZ 550 Varmint. You could set it where if you look at it, it goes off. I set it a bit higher than that.
Old March 15, 2019, 01:30 AM   #4
TruthTellers

Allegedly 1oz. As soon as the skin on your finger touches it, the trigger breaks.

I'd never felt such a light trigger before and my jaw instinctively dropped open.
Old March 15, 2019, 04:34 AM   #5
Geezerbiker

A fellow at the range I used to go to let me shoot his bench rest rifle. It supposedly had a 2 ounce trigger but I think you could have breathed on to get it to fire.

The trigger on my Ruger 77/22 Hornet is right around a pound and I wouldn't want it any less...

Tony
Old March 15, 2019, 06:17 AM   #6
Mobuck

Lightest trigger pull??? Hmmm, I had a Savage 110 that would occasionally fire when the safety was released (w/o even touching the trigger). Now that's light.
Old March 15, 2019, 07:45 AM   #7
muzzleblast...

Lightest trigger I have used are Jewel 2 ounce triggers on each of several Kelbly Panda benchrest rifles.
Old March 15, 2019, 09:18 AM   #8
Josh Smith

A matter of ounces, below the ability of my cheap-ish trigger pull gauge to measure.

Several years back I got into rimfire pretty heavily, and the trigger on my rifle kept feeling heavier as my skill increased. I'd adjust it down, shoot for a week, and then have to adjust it down again.

Now that I'm not as dedicated as I was, the trigger feels too light, and I've since adjusted it back up.

I like all my triggers between 1.5lbs and 2.5lbs for rifles, and 3.5lbs to 4.5lbs for 1911 pistols.

Regards,
Josh
Old March 15, 2019, 09:52 AM   #9
imashooter

Hiperfire 24C measures 1.5 or a spit more (live-fire testing) in my 15-22. Great trigger imo.
Old March 15, 2019, 12:25 PM   #10
stinkeypete

I kept adjusting the target trigger on a .223 varmint rifle until it went off if I tapped the receiver. Let’s call that “zero grams”. I didn’t leave it there... moved up until it passed the bump test.
Old March 15, 2019, 02:27 PM   #11
DaleA

The Olympic folk might have the market cornered on light triggers.

Check out this Anschutz manual that says the "International Set Trigger 5039" can be set from 1/6 ounce to a whopping 2 and 1/2 ounces. (A little humor there...all the .22 matches I shot in our triggers had to be 3 pounds (48 ounces) or more.

jga.anschuetz-sport.com/downloads/Manuals/EN/BA_Match54_1965-08-01_EN.pdf?...

Found a used Anschutz 5039 trigger on Ebay for just $549. (Pardon me while I do NOT jump on this deal.)
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Anschutz-50...MAAOSwn55bP1B~

Last edited by DaleA; March 15, 2019 at 02:35 PM. Reason: found a 5039 on ebay
Old March 15, 2019, 03:35 PM   #12
FrankenMauser

Less than two ounces.
Remington Sportsman 78.
If you so much as think about touching the trigger, it breaks.

I've felt lighter while making adjustments or fitting triggers/sears to a few things; but the lightest in any firearm being shot and used regularly (as a hunting rifle!) was that Sportsman 78.
It's still around; but I believe the owner increased the pull weight a bit when he handed it down to his son.
Old March 15, 2019, 03:46 PM   #13
darkgael

Trigger

Not a rifle....a Pardini “free” pistol. It has a two ounce trigger (maybe less).
Edit:
Yes....less, a lot less.
I just now weighed it.....7 grams (1/4oz) set it off. So....it is less than that.
The practice of shooting a free pistol involves positioning the finger near the trigger and then letting the finger relax so that it bends into the trigger and releases it.

Last edited by darkgael; March 17, 2019 at 11:07 AM. Reason: Data change
Old March 15, 2019, 03:49 PM   #14
AzShooter

Two ounces on my CZ 452. Love that gun and it's very accurate.
Old March 15, 2019, 04:30 PM   #15
Metal god

Just a few ounces on a bench rest gun a guy at the range let me shoot if I let him use my chrono . I likely could get used to it but the first shot went off before I wanted it to as well as the last shot , I only fired 3 . Still shot sub moa off a front and rear bag actually holding the rifle but way to light a pull for me .

I have a Geissele two stage trigger in my NM rifle that with the right springs and adjustments could get down to 8oz on the second stage . Right now it's 1.5oz on the second stage and I still sometimes pull right through it . I had some guy at the range want to shoot it so I let him . He pulled right through the second stage every time and refused to believe it was a two stage trigger . Then went on to tell me how it's lighter but really no better then a mil-spec trigger . OK so I have a $280 mil-spec trigger

I almost always write my posts regardless of content in a jovial manor and intent . If that's not how you took it , please try again .
Old March 15, 2019, 04:46 PM   #16
precision_shooter

My CZ 527 has 16oz and 14oz trigger pulls respectively for the normal trigger pull and the set trigger. I had a Savage target rifle that was around 12oz. These are plenty light for me and my current target rifle is around 3 pounds. Better trigger control is better than a lighter trigger pull and forces the shooter to get better.
"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." - Thomas Jefferson, 1776
Old March 15, 2019, 05:21 PM   #17
7.62 man

It was on a buddy's bench rest bolt action .22lr. Not sure what weight it was but I swear I never really touched the trigger but it went off.
He says it's light enough you can't touch the trigger enough to feel where it is. He says he just puts it on target & more or less waves his finger over the trigger for it to fire.
I told him it was way to light for me.
Old March 15, 2019, 05:50 PM   #18
stagpanther

The lightest I have set on any of my rifles--and it's the only one under 2 pounds--is 1.5 lbs. Unless you are operating a space machine under very controlled circumstances, over-light draw means high probability of AD--at least for me.
Old March 15, 2019, 08:30 PM   #19
M88

It's a toss up between the single stage trigger (once you push it forward and set it), on my CZ 550 in 6.5x55 Swedish, or the Shiloh Sharps I just acquired with it's set trigger. I've not actually shot a round through the Sharps yet, but just testing that trigger, it is scary light. Same with that CZ... once you push that trigger forward and set it, you better be sure of your target before you put that finger back down in the trigger guard because the lightest touch and it goes bang. In revolvers it would have to be my Taylor and Co tweaked Uberti 45 Colt SA... Taylor tunes that trigger VERY light for cowboy action. In semi-auto, for whatever reason, my ATI Titan 1911 came from the factory with a tad over a 1lb trigger. Always surprises me when I take it to the range with my Colt Mk IV 1911 next to it and forget what a light touch that ATI has. And I definitely agree with stagpanther... anything less than 1.5 or 2 lbs is a bit to light for me. To easy to AD.
Old March 15, 2019, 09:53 PM   #20
Bayou

My 10/22 trigger has been worked by Brimstone. It has 2 pound break...

Bayou
NRA Life Member
"Keep Calm and Reload"
Old March 16, 2019, 01:01 AM   #21
Dufus

I shot a 3 oz. trigger on a rail gun that I used to have.

My sister has a Colt SAA 45 with a 6 oz trigger. Very accurate in her hands, me, not as good as she.
Old March 16, 2019, 06:21 AM   #22
jpx2rk

I think it was 2oz IIRC, it was on a 1000 yd match rifle I was admiring at a LR match at my local club. Running the bolt was like just waving you hand, effortless. The trigger, I was NOT ready for it to break, luckily there was no round in the chamber (in between relays). The guy had built it himself, along with his GF's, which had the same trigger. Both were amazing guns with good drivers based on their scores.
Old March 16, 2019, 12:42 PM   #23
pete2

Years ago I had a muzzle loader with a set trigger. A 2 oz. trigger takes some getting used to.
Old March 19, 2019, 10:34 AM   #24
hagar

AR15 space gun with 1.5 pound Timney trigger is light enough for me..

You have to be really really careful pulling the trigger firmly straight back, do it wrong and it will bump fire.
Old March 19, 2019, 11:27 AM   #25
pwc

2 ox; Anschutz