The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old September 29, 2001, 11:17 PM   #1
jhisaac

Deer Hunting in Western Oregon

Hello,
I haven't hunted deer since high school, having spent my hunting time on elk and jack rabbits. (I wanted to make sure we all know I didn't just buy a rifle to see what hunting is like the shmuck in Cain R's "Bush Moron" thread.)

This year I couldn't go elk hunting so I decided to go deer hunting instead. I live pretty close to the Coast Range in Western OR so I can go out on weekends and not take any vacation. (that I don't have any more of anyway.)

Finally to the question. How do you guys hunt deer in NW Oregon? The season opened today and I got out this afternoon and sat for a couple hours in one place, then found another place to sit until it was almost dark. When I was younger, the folks I hunted with would wander around one area for a little bit, then drive somewhere else, wander, drive, wander, drive. I spent as much time in the van as out in the woods. I'm not sure that is the best way to do this.

Do you still hunt, sit and glass, road hunt, or ???? I am hunting in the area North of Grand Ronde Oregon on land owned by a lumber company.

Please, enlighten me O Wise One's.
Old September 30, 2001, 01:48 PM   #2
Robert the41MagFan

The fastest way to learn an area is via the road hunt. Unfortunately it is very taboo in the world of hunting today, but it works. In your case, the clock is ticking. Start combining that method with walking in the middle of the day, deep in the forest, looking for bedding and movement and then you can advance to the next level. And that is actually sitting a "hot" area in the morning and letting the animals come to you. Same rules apply with deer as with elk. Northern slopes provide the best hunting opportunities and with the warm weather we're having this week, chances of success are high.

Robert