The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old August 11, 2017, 12:40 AM   #1
rc

The most versatile cartridge ever invented.

Who knew in 1935 that the 357 magnum would go on to become one of the most successful handgun cartridges ever! While the early guns were too heavy to lug around in a holster, and too expensive for the average man, we have a plethora of affordable offerings today that would amaze those first shooters of the early registered magnums. In addition to revolvers like the originals built oh so long ago, we have the option to get semi autos and lever guns in the chambering too. While diminutive in relation to the modern 454 and 460 magnums, the 357 is as capable today as it ever was in grampa's day to take every species of game known to man. If I was to pick a chambering to do it all, it would be the 357 magnum! Oh poop you say, yer 44 will do anything the 357 will do better! That argument falls short when one tries to download the larger calibers for target shooting and small game. The 44 mag becomes very inefficient and the 44 special wastes too much lead to wack one tiny rabbit. This holds true for the larger 45 cartridges too. Then we have the 327 Federal. By George you say, that's a better mouse killer! Yes, I love the 32s also, but they lack the bullet weight and penetration needed to hunt really large game over 300 pounds. So that brings me back to the middleweight champion of the world, the 357 magnum. If one were limited to just 1 gun or 1 chambering. It would be hard to beat the 357 lever gun with a pocket full of 38s and 357s to take care of anything that needs shootin from the size of rabbits to moose and even bear inside of 50 yards. No, the 357 doesn't do anything best, but in the middle it does everything well! And so I predict the 357 magnum will continue to be as popular in 80 years as it is today! rc
Old August 11, 2017, 01:33 AM   #2
DaleA

I'm sure there will be some who disagree with you for a variety of reasons, but it won't be me!

Nice analysis!
Old August 11, 2017, 01:55 AM   #3
TruthTellers

We'll I've been tooting the .32 revolver horn for a while now, but there are advantages to .357 Magnum over .327 Mag/.32 H&R mostly just more power in a handgun and better penetration in hunting for bigger game. .32 works great for small to medium size animals and it's just a wonderful plinking round and it's not too shabby for self defense either.

In my estimation, ANY rimmed/revolver cartridge (with the exception of .500 Magnum) is super versatile and I would not hold it against anyone for owning a revolver or two in .32, .38, .357, .41, .44 Special, .44 Magnum and .45 Colt.
Old August 11, 2017, 04:41 AM   #4
Tony Z

I may not have had enough coffee in me yet, but I would fully agree on all points, except one: my Rossi M92 in 44 mag is moe fun to plink with, than my 357 Henry or 45 Colt Henry.

Maybe I had better go look for a lighter weight lever action, in 357, just to be fair?
Old August 11, 2017, 04:44 AM   #5
JoeSixpack

Are we stuck on handguns? If not im going with 12ga shotgun.

Or is this thread more a statement then a question?
Old August 11, 2017, 06:10 AM   #6
Scoits

22 long rifle
Old August 11, 2017, 07:13 AM   #7
jmr40

Quote:
I predict the 357 magnum will continue to be as popular in 80 years as it is today! rc
Maybe so, but the 357 mag has declined in popularity significantly in the last 20 years. That trend could stabilize and the 357 could remain where it currently is. But I don't see it going back to it's glory days.

I'm not saying it isn't versatile. Most everything in your post is accurate. But most shooters today consider it either too much, or not enough depending on the task at hand.

If I were limited to only 1 handgun to do everything a 4" 357 would be a close contender. But I'm not limited to just one handgun. I sold all of my 357's several years ago and never missed them. I did later pick up a S&W 28 that was just too good of a deal to pass up. I like the gun, but it is a safe queen.

Winston Churchill
Old August 11, 2017, 07:59 AM   #8
zipspyder

The best cartridge would be a rifle cartridge not a short range pistol cartridge as the rifle can do both short and long range.
Old August 11, 2017, 08:19 AM   #9
FITASC

Quote:
Are we stuck on handguns? If not im going with 12ga shotgun.
Quote:
22 long rifle
Both of those get my vote
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old August 11, 2017, 09:21 AM   #10
bassJAM1

.357 probably is the most versatile, but the .22 lr is a close second.
Old August 11, 2017, 09:34 AM   #11
deserted

Yep. I'm going with the .327, too. All the other calibers have been languishing (in my safes) the last few years. EDC in my neck of the desert is .327.
Old August 11, 2017, 10:34 AM   #12
TXAZ

(Since this in in the general conference center

"The most versatile cartridge ever invented" is the .50 BMG from John Browning.

Used by more than 90 countries, produced in more than 50.

Can stop most any 4 wheeled vehicle at 1000 yards+.

Pre-shreds anything smaller than a breadbox.

Made in more than a dozen weights (500 - 800+ grains)

Made in more than a dozen types (tracer, SLAP, Ball, etc)

The muzzle blast alone can knock someone down.

And, is the king of long range shooting.

+1 zipspyder

Cave illos in guns et backhoes
Old August 11, 2017, 11:47 AM   #13
44 AMP
Staff

sticking with just the .357, (for now..)

Quote:
the early guns were too heavy to lug around in a holster
Those "early" guns were the S&W Registered Magnums, built on the "44" frame, what is now called the "N" frame. Yes, big heavy guns, but in the same weight class as the S&W .38/44 Outdoorsman. There doesn't seem to be much period literature complaining about the weight, at least until the .357 K frame guns arrived (20+ years later) giving people another option.

Quote:
the 357 is as capable today as it ever was in grampa's day
yes, but only if you pick the right ammunition. Most factory ammo today is NOT what the .357 was back in the late 1930s. It is "watered down" compared to the original ammo, so it can be used in K and J frame guns, without beating them, and the shooter to death in short order.

If the .44s and .45s waste too much lead for wacking one tiny rabbit, then the .357 & .38 special do too. A 40gr (ish) .22LR works just fine, and "wastes" much less lead.

Quote:
but the 357 mag has declined in popularity significantly in the last 20 years.
yes, in overall numbers, but you need to look at what has driven the change in those numbers. Its the change in POLICE use, not sporting use that has driven the "popularity" numbers down. Most of the police that used to use the .357 have gone to the 9mm (or .40) to get the semi auto's capacity advantage. I think sporting use of the .357 is as popular as it ever was, if not moreso.

I'm very fond of the .357 Magnum, I have DA revolvers (S&W N frame nd K frame) SA (Ruger Blackhawk), a couple of semi autos (Coonan and Desert Eagle) and a Marlin lever gun.

I agree the .357 is ONE of the most versatile rounds ever, but I think if you include long gun rounds, I would have to give the nod to the 12ga, if only by a little bit.

And no, while the .50BMG is a tremendously useful MILITARY round, and long range target round, it simply is not versatile for sporting use. if you're going to shoot rabbit to eat, with a .50BMG, the best thing to try is to shoot close to the rabbit, and hope it is either killed by the concussion, or falls into the crater the round leaves, and breaks its little rabbit neck. (because if you actually HIT the rabbit with a .50BMG, there won't BE a rabbit left to eat.)
Old August 11, 2017, 12:23 PM   #14
ShootistPRS

I do agree that the 357 is a very versatile round and I started using it for just that reason. I won't go so far as to say it is THE most versatile round because there are just too many rounds out there. I can load bullets from 100 grains up to 190 grains in my 3006 and use it to kill everything from rats to moose and grizzly bear so it seems that it would be more versatile than my 357. I have hunted and taken game with both but it would be difficult to concealed carry the 06. There are too many cartridges to choose one as the best at anything, that's why we have more than one gun.
Old August 13, 2017, 11:03 AM   #15
McShooty

rc, you made a good case and stated it well. Best you can do. I would still choose the .44 Mag as I think the extra at the deer end makes up for overkill at the rabbit end. But, maybe 165 or 180 grain pills would work at the small game and varmint end.

Just for the sake of argument, how about a T/C G2 Contender with 14-in., .30-30 barrel?
Old August 13, 2017, 11:16 AM   #16
Aguila Blanca
Staff

But your thread title calls the .357 Magnum the most versatile cartridge. Then you bring in a different cartridge to demonstrate the versatility of the .357 Magnum.

Logical disconnect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rc
If one were limited to just 1 gun or 1 chambering. It would be hard to beat the 357 lever gun with a pocket full of 38s and 357s to take care of anything that needs shootin from the size of rabbits to moose and even bear inside of 50 yards.
Old August 13, 2017, 11:22 AM   #17
FITASC

Quote:
But your thread title calls the .357 Magnum the most versatile cartridge. Then you bring in a different cartridge to demonstrate the versatility of the .357 Magnum.

Logical disconnect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rc
If one were limited to just 1 gun or 1 chambering. It would be hard to beat the 357 lever gun with a pocket full of 38s and 357s to take care of anything that needs shootin from the size of rabbits to moose and even bear inside of 50 yards.
Using that logic, a 12 gauge with a pocket of bird shot, buckshot and slugs can handle everything from pests to dinner to 2 and 4 legged predators
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old August 13, 2017, 05:25 PM   #18
kenny53

30/06 I have used on everything from prairie dog to Mule deer.
Old August 13, 2017, 06:51 PM   #19
amprecon

I have done the journey with handguns, I found the .357 excruciatingly loud and too small diameter to be truly versatile. The .44 mag is also loud but is large enough in diameter to be truly versatile as it can be used on very large game and smaller stuff with downloaded rounds, but the guns are large and unwieldy and limited to 6 rounds.

I have concluded that there is a line where handguns are so powerful they need to rather be carbines or rifles. I've decided that for personal protection 9mm is good enough, but for a woods gun I feel the 10mm is best mm, larger diameter than .357, so my sights are set on a Glock 40 in 10mm. Not so powerful to be punishing, not unwieldy and holds 15 rounds in the mag. In essence this would be my choice for most versatile handgun cartridge.
"Cause I got nothin' better to do."
Old August 13, 2017, 06:55 PM   #20
amprecon

I think if Ruger or other mfg were to produce a 10mm carbine like the old Ruger 44 carbine it would be a hot item.
"Cause I got nothin' better to do."
Old August 13, 2017, 07:06 PM   #21
FITASC

I'd be happy if Marlin would bring back their pistol rifles - both carbine and lever (with the quality to match)
Old August 13, 2017, 08:41 PM   #22
AzShooter

22 LR all the way.
Old August 13, 2017, 08:45 PM   #23
Ridgerunner665

30-06 if speaking for rifles....

10mm for handguns....357 power and then some, and will work through a semi auto with a decent grip size.
Old August 13, 2017, 10:53 PM   #24
brian33x51

There's a reason we have lots of choices. I would like to have a nice .357 revolver, maybe 6" barrel. While you can get a pretty decent quality 9mm auto for under 300usd (taurus g2, m&p shield, etc), starting prices for bigger than 22lr revolvers seem to be quite a bit higher.
Old August 14, 2017, 12:20 AM   #25
rc

Don't fall into the trap!

The trap of picking something like a 30-06 or a 22 L.R. for most versatile round is that a 30-06 is too powerful and the 22L.R. not powerful enough for all applications. I didn't say the 357 does everything or anything best. I said it's the most versatile round. You can take everything from rabbits to moose if the range limits of the cartridge are respected and good shop placement applied. Having said that, the 12 guage with different shot may be a little more versatile I do concede. And saying I'm contradicting myself including 38 special in the mix is not accepting that it will chamber and fire in the same guns as a 357mag which is why the 357 is so versatile. The same is not true of a 38 only revolver. While many rifle rounds are much more effective at longer range, up close the heavy 180 grain 357 has more than enough penetration even if the energy figures are far behind most any rifle.

While the 223 is the most popular "general purpose rifle" at this time, there is an argument to be made that the 357 magnum is more versatile and if you shoot a 357 mag and 223 into water jugs side by side, the 223 is not the clear winner.

While I love 22s, they are hardly the most versatile caliber. While they can pretty much kill anything that walks in north America, they can't do it reliably or with any significant range. 12 guage and 357 magnum guns trump 22s for most versatile cartridge any day of the week. And for those who want to argue the 44 mag and 454 class cartridges are more versatile, I have loaded them down and they just don't respond well to small charges in large cases even with trail boss powder. And I agree the 50bmg is one of the best military calibers ever developed, but it is not the most versatile sporting round.