The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Closed Thread

Old January 1, 2001, 12:10 AM   #1
Kaylee

howdy all --

Can't say as this is strictly hunting-related, but I figured it comes close enough. Basically, I was wondering if any of y'all had specific recommendations (manufacturer and model) for a new set of trompin' boots.

Area is Southern Idaho, with more than a few treks up into the northern mountainous part of the state planned. I've tromped a fair amount in snow already this year, and expect to be doing a lot more of it in the coming years. Amazing how soaked boots suddenly seems a lot less warm...

My preference is for leather, waterproof, insulated, and relatively high on the shin. I typically go for men's boots anyhow, so no worries "translating" from the fellas.

Finally, I'd like to stay under $150- $200, but I'm willing to shell out a little more if I have to in order to get a really good set of boots for the coming years.

any ideas guys?

Thanks!

-K
Old January 1, 2001, 04:36 AM   #2
bou3

I gotta agree with the Danner boots.
We (the wife and I) went through the same preditament acouple of months ago. We finally found a pair of danners that fit her. She loves them. I use danners also. I've used them after just about every animal and climate up here and they always work, even after 4 years. I should buy another pair but mine are just broken in.
Old January 1, 2001, 01:51 PM   #3
Keith J

I have a pair of Matterhorns from my Army days. They ran about $100 from clothing sales so I figure about $150 in civilian stores.

These are Gore-Tex, Thinsulate, Cambrelle linings with Vibram soles and foam midsoles. They are lightweight for the insulation provided and very durable.

Ugly as sin in my civilian life BUT warm and dry. I've stepped in 6" deep puddles and feet stayed dry. I've also tromped through the snow and ice and my feet stayed toasty.

As a final note, I have a friend that wore his when he crashed in a Blackhawk (UH-60). He suffered burns to most of his body but his feet were undamaged. Insulation works both ways. Too bad his gloves weren't as durable.
Old January 1, 2001, 03:50 PM   #4
MFH

Browning mountain 600 are also good. Even better, the warranty is also. I had several of the air-bobs broke off of one pair on a hunting trip and they replaced the boots at no charge.
Old January 2, 2001, 10:56 PM   #5
brianidaho

I'm also looking for new boots. My old pair of Danner's (I think the "Eagle") still have good leather and soles, but the Gore-Tex has failed. I now have to sno-seal to keep my feet dry . Can't complain too much, they have stomped up and down alot of North Idaho mountains in the last 6 years.

I like the Danner's, would consider others if anyone has recommendations. We hunt side-hills alot, and the load on the outside of the boots is hard on them. I'm wondering if some of the ones that extend the rubber sole slightly higher on the upper would hold up any better. I'm looking at the LaCrosse Gamemasters in Cabellas and wonder how they compare to Danner's. I'm also wondering about Cabella's "Winter 800" boots, they're by Meindl. They have more of a "vibram" sole, rather than Danner's "air-bob", I'm concerned they may not do as well on slick, steep side hills.

Bri
Old January 3, 2001, 11:53 AM   #6
Ron Ankeny

Another Danner fan here.
Old January 3, 2001, 03:29 PM   #7
Steve Smith

Herman Survivors
Old January 3, 2001, 04:14 PM   #8
BadMedicine

What's wrong with buying the same kind you had?? If they lasted 6 years, that's alot of walking!! If they boots stayed together and fit, and it was just the gore-tex that failed, I think that was a use issue. Alot of boots use goretex in them, and they're only going to last soo long until you walk it into shredds. It's like buying new tires, and saying "i'm gonna try michelin this time, these firestones wore out."

"how long did ya have 'em??"

"six years."

Ya know? it's like "duh" of course they're gonna wear out, you wore them hard. Usually it's the soles that wear out on mine. After 3 or 4 seasons they don't have traction, and whent hunting in snow, that isn't good.
Old January 6, 2001, 11:33 PM   #9
Kaylee

thanks!

Just wanted to thank you all for your advice --
given all this praise for Danner, that's prolly where I'll look. Again, thank you!

-K
Old January 10, 2001, 09:16 PM   #10
AAChang

Another vote for Danner, never had a prob with Gore Tex
Old January 11, 2001, 08:37 AM   #11
dreadnaught

Rocky Boots!!!!!!!
Old January 11, 2001, 05:40 PM   #12
CoyDog

I've had good success with Cabela's boots, although they're obviously not made by Cabelas. My favorite is the Mountain Hunter 400, which is made in Italy. In addition to Danners, Cabela's also handles Meindl boots, a highly regarded German boot.
Good Shooting, CoyDog
Old January 14, 2001, 12:34 AM   #13
longshotmcsc

My vote is for Vasque. They make a mid-height boot with 400 grams Thinsulate which I've used to climb the Colorado rockies with a full pack several times. Waterproof, comfortable and tough. Danner could be as good or better, but I have not ever worn Danner so can't compare.
Old February 11, 2001, 07:06 PM   #14
Kaylee

thanks guys!

Just finished walkin' about this afternoon in snow ranging from sole-height to calf-height, not counting the snowed-over critter holes I dropped in to the knee into a few times.

Danner Trophies held up great -- when I got home, my toesies were still as warm and comfy as if I'd stayed at home in my sheepskin slippers. Thanks for the wonderful advice -- I'm thrilled with these boots!

-Kaylee
Old February 11, 2001, 08:35 PM   #15
Al Thompson
Staff Alumnus

Thanks for the update Kaylee!

Giz
Old February 12, 2001, 01:28 PM   #16
justice4all

Rocky or Danner, both good quality American-made hunting boots, Ohio, and Oregon, respectively.
Old February 12, 2001, 02:09 PM   #17
JR in PA

Cabela's Outfitters Series-hold up well,can be resoled, women's sizes, less than $200.
Old February 12, 2001, 02:38 PM   #18
Al Thompson
Staff Alumnus

Time for this one to fade away.......
Closed Thread