The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old May 2, 2011, 07:20 AM   #26
Sevens

Though I have Titegroup, I wouldn't use it in .40 S&W. Just doesn't fit my style.

I've been using Power Pistol and it's worked well. Meters great, shoots well.
Old May 2, 2011, 07:57 AM   #27
kalevatom

I use WST with 180gr Montana Golds FMJ.
Old May 2, 2011, 02:36 PM   #28
abber

Universal Clays with Rainier plated lead bullets, and Blue Dot for the jacketed stuff. I have not tried many others for the .40 because I hit on loads I liked using these 2 early on.
Old May 2, 2011, 02:52 PM   #29
Marco Califo

Sevens Style Guide

Quote:
Though I have Titegroup, I wouldn't use it in .40 S&W. Just doesn't fit my style.
Doesn't go good with plaid or stripes, eh?
Old May 2, 2011, 03:58 PM   #30
farmerboy

I agree with #25 post, I'd also prefer Unique but if Bullseye is all I had. Just loaded up a batch the night before using Unique. I always try my best to have Unique and Bullseye on hand at all times

Last edited by farmerboy; May 2, 2011 at 08:47 PM.
Old May 2, 2011, 04:07 PM   #31
NWPilgrim

I use Universal, but Unique and AA5 are also great. W231 is also good ut I save it for lighter loads.
"The ultimate authority ... resides in the people alone. ... The advantage of being armed, which the Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation ... forms a barrier against the enterprises of ambition."
- James Madison
Old May 2, 2011, 06:14 PM   #32
Sevens

Quote:
Doesn't go good with plaid or stripes , eh?
No, by my "style" I meant, I'm not going to goof with a hinky powder with a reputation like Titegroup and mate it up with a cartridge that has it's own sordid history (.40 S&W) and run the whole thing through a Glock 23. (!)

So, my style is to do all that I can to guard against possible troubles with a group of "known" characters... like sticking with one single brand of brass, brass who's history I know for certain... with a powder that is practically designed specifically for it, and a bullet that takes up most of the space in the case, leaving very little room for accidental/unintended setback.

I treat the .40 S&W for what it is... not just another common round at the bench. It's a high pressure round that was stuffed in to pistols that were built around the 9mm. It's got inherent weaknesses in it that I don't have with other calibers, so the first thing I do when assessing it is to eliminate a powder like Titegroup as a candidate for .40 cal at my bench.

That's my style... give it the appropriate respect that it demands and not just grab the first bunch of stuff I see and screw it all together and see what sticks, ya know?
Old May 2, 2011, 06:47 PM   #33
Marco Califo

Quote:
That's my style... give it the appropriate respect that it demands and not just grab the first bunch of stuff I see and screw it all together and see what sticks, ya know?
OK, nice retort. I have a G23 myself. The only powder I have used so far for .40 S&W is Bullseye at less than max loads. Now, I follow your logic. Yes, I have some shotgun powders, actually a lot of them, but, what did I reach for? Bullseye.

4.8 gr of Bullseye behind 180 gr Ranier plated flat points. Nice solid and controllable. Made a good ringing report on steel plate; more so than the WW factory 9mm I was shooting the same day.
Old May 2, 2011, 07:16 PM   #34
sonick808

I like Unique for .40S&W. Even my mixed manufacturer reloads shoot remarkably consistent, so Unique must be doing OK.
Old May 4, 2011, 12:01 AM   #35
RDub

Yup.. Gotta agree with UNIQUE..

Been using the Lyman #401043 casted hard for some time. Great bullet

I didn't notice until later that the rear sight on my Sigma got moved. Thats why everthing was going right. Fixed now.
Old May 4, 2011, 08:02 PM   #36
Huskerguy

My efforts

I tried Red Dot, HS-6, and Titegroup

Got good results with all of them.

Great results with Titegroup, light recoil as well.

I used three different bullets as well, lead flat point, South African flat point, and Berry's HP all in 180 Grain. All equally accurate.
Old May 5, 2011, 06:09 AM   #37
pstrlipscomb

In a G23 and Beretta 96 Brigadier:

4.3 gr. Win. 231
175 gr. Lee tumble lube SWC

Perfect function, superior accuracy.

Does not function perfectly in my brother's PT140, but nothing else does either.