The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old June 5, 2009, 03:52 PM   #1
Terry A

Lending guns and Concealed Carry

In Pennsylvania, if you have a vadid permit to carry concealed, does the handgun(s) you carry have to be registered to you? As far as I knew, if you had a valid permit, you could carry anybody's handgun, as long at it was not stolen. Examples....boyfriend-girlfriend who are dating, each has a permit. She takes one of his guns with his permission to the store. A parent lends a handgun to his son who has a permit, who then takes that handgun on vacation in the state. Legal???

I always thought "yes" but today, I was told that any guns carried concealed must be registered to you. I'm not certain that's right. And the offices of those who would know are closed right now.

Thanks!
2 Thes 3:16 "Now may the Lord of peace Himself continually grant you peace in every circumstance. The Lord be with you all! "
Old June 5, 2009, 03:56 PM   #2
KLRANGL

Since when did guns in PA even have to be registered?
Old June 8, 2009, 12:23 PM   #3
NavyLT

Pennsylvania has no handgun registration.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry A
I always thought "yes" but today, I was told that any guns carried concealed must be registered to you.
That's impossible, because there is no way to register a gun to you in Pennsylvania.
Old June 8, 2009, 01:02 PM   #4
knight0334

For those with a valid LTCF, you can borrow another persons handgun to carry/use/etc. Unlicensed folks may not borrow another's handguns. §6115(b)(1)(i)

Exceptions though between spouses, parent/child, and grandparent/grandchild which do not require any sort of recorded transfers. §6111(c) You can borrow under this clause without a LTCF.

Exceptions also for those that reside in the same dwelling, or work at the same place of employment, and that the firearm does NOT leave the facility. §6115(b)(3)

PA has a quasi-registration. "Firearms" have to be transferred lawfully, and the firearm is recorded to the purchaser. The courts ruled it a "database" rather than a registration because you aren't required to "register" guns that you bring with you as you move into the state. Transfers thereafter require the proper procedures to be followed.
Old June 8, 2009, 10:58 PM   #5
Terry A

Thank you

Knight0334,
Many thanks for taking the time to give a solid answer. You sir, have my deep appreciation.
2 Thes 3:16 "Now may the Lord of peace Himself continually grant you peace in every circumstance. The Lord be with you all! "
Old June 10, 2009, 02:40 PM   #6
knight0334

You're welcome, Terry.

If you have an PA related carry/law issues, check out PAFOA.org. We are the #1 PA law/carry related information site.