The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Closed Thread

Old February 23, 2009, 07:40 PM   #1
troy_mclure

going out to eat and seating

where do you sit when you go out to eat?
my buddies mock me because i always want a wall to my back.
it makes me way to twitchy to sit with my back "out" especialy facing the door.
There is only one tactical principle which is not subject to change. It is to use the means at hand to inflict the maximum amount of wound, death, and destruction on the enemy in the minimum amount of time."
Old February 23, 2009, 08:10 PM   #2
NitroBerserker

+1
My GF is very familiar with this and if sitting first will give me the seat with a view of the door.
Old February 23, 2009, 08:12 PM   #3
cschwanz

i usually try to sit with my back against the wall as well, or at least facing the door. if its a booth, i always try to sit so my right side is in toward the wall ( im right handed and carry strongside)
Ignorance can be fixed....its called education. Stupid will get you killed!
Old February 23, 2009, 08:18 PM   #4
hoytinak

I always sit facing the exits with my carry side on the inside. It's hard to go out and eat with my father as he always what's the same seat I do.
Old February 23, 2009, 08:22 PM   #5
rantingredneck

I sit facing the door as well.

Hoyt, Why this though?

Quote:
my carry side on the inside.
I like to have my right (carry side) to the outside of the booth if possible. Seems to my thinking that it avoids the table becoming and obstruction and crossing over your dining partner's body with your weapon.

I'm interested in your thoughts on it though.......

PCCA Member (What's PCCA you ask? <- Check the link)
Old February 23, 2009, 08:24 PM   #6
cschwanz

i keep my carry side to the inside simply to avoid printing and allowing everyone in the restaraunt to see/know i have a gun on my hip.
Ignorance can be fixed....its called education. Stupid will get you killed!
Old February 23, 2009, 08:27 PM   #7
hoytinak

I just still get paranoid about printing too much, if it's to the inside no one can see the arrow that points to gun.
Old February 23, 2009, 08:28 PM   #8
rantingredneck

Oh I see........

I've just come to not give a crap about the big neon arrow......Mostly......

PCCA Member (What's PCCA you ask? <- Check the link)
Old February 23, 2009, 08:31 PM   #9
Wildalaska

LOL...if someone wants to get you in a resteraunt you are gotten...

Ask Carmine Galante, Joey Gallo and Arthur Flegenheimer

WildiwannagowithfoodinmynmouthAlaska ™
Old February 23, 2009, 08:48 PM   #10
bcarver

no booth

no booth ever. I don't want to be sitting still during a robbery/shooting.
Back to wall is a must.
I have to be able to see all exits and kitchen.
Never know when a cook will wig out with a cleaver.
I also like a window to see who is coming inside.
Some reasturants don't even have one suitable table.
Old February 23, 2009, 08:56 PM   #11
Wildalaska

Quote:
Never know when a cook will wig out with a cleaver.
Thats a joke, right

WildpleasetellmeitsajokeAlaska ™
Old February 23, 2009, 09:25 PM   #12
dabigguns357

furthest from the door but still facing door,i hopfully will have more time to react.If someone walks in shooting,they usually go for the closest one first.
Old February 23, 2009, 09:42 PM   #13
CAP1

Never sit with my back to the door(s) or crowd.
Wife finally understands it and takes her seat without me having to say anything.
Old February 23, 2009, 10:47 PM   #14
Virginia58

Good to know I'm not the only one who won't sit with their back to the door. I might still be crazy...but I'm not alone
Old February 24, 2009, 12:28 AM   #15
BillCA

Thoughts;

Sit in a position that allows you to see the most you can of the dining area and the entrance to the dining area.

If I have to chose, I'll take the view of the entrance to the dining area over being able to see all the diners. I figure most are there to eat and few robbers have the nerve to dine & rob.

Tables are better than booths - more directions for you to move and you don't have to "slide out". Additionally, some booth seats are awfully soft making it harder to get out.

In a booth, gun-side out means you can engage from a seated position while pushing out of the booth with the off hand.

In a booth, gun-side in means you can covertly unholster and slide hand and gun under the table. Use your off hand to pull yourself out of the booth using the end of the table.

Gun-side out means you can fire further down an aisle without crossing patrons at your table or others.

A table can be flipped on its side for concealment/cover where the table in a booth generally cannot.

The almost ideal position is a table towards the back of the dining area, with a wall behind you, windows overlooking the entrance walkway visible, and where "customers" at the register will have their back to you.

I spend more time worrying about the quality of their cooks and their food than I do that some kind of robbery will go down.

In any place that might be robbed due to its location, the parking lot is two to three times more dangerous than inside the restaurant.

A robbery in the parking lot increases your danger level 1000%.

In a parking lot robbery, the thief expects the male to be the one likely to resist/retaliate/attack. So fellas, get your wives CCW's and distract while she shoots!

That's my thinking on this subject.

Last edited by BillCA; February 24, 2009 at 12:48 AM.
Old February 24, 2009, 01:20 AM   #16
chris in va

Doesn't really matter to me. I'm not that 'tuned' while eating.
Old February 24, 2009, 01:32 AM   #17
fivepaknh

I take whatever table or booth they seat me at. Even before I started carrying I liked to be able to see what’s going on around me. So I usually take a seat at the booth/table where I have the most visibility of the rest of the restaurant. I also try to keep my gun in the inside for the same reason as a couple of you, to avoid showing the gun if printing. Though, I really don’t go around in high alert. Like where I live really isn’t that dangerous.
Old February 24, 2009, 01:32 AM   #18
Wildalaska

Quote:
You must be either a sheep or suicidal *insert ironic/sarcastic smiley here*

WildhowcanyouenjoylifewithoutbeinginconditionyellowatDennysAlaska TM

Hey was Pulp Fiction on TV recently
Old February 24, 2009, 01:58 AM   #19
G-man 26

I don't worry about giving up the better seat to my dad or a few of my buddies. I take the opportunity to slip from condition "red" to "yellow". Also, you get a little practice keeping an eye on your "partner's" 6. Look out for that crazed cook and etc.
Old February 24, 2009, 02:08 AM   #20
grymster2007

Quote:
Well I'm "tuned" when I'm eating and I face the KITCHEN. Home, out, it don't matter! That's where the FOOD comes from! And unless he wants to be on the menu, the wigged out chef with a cleaver better be coming over to filet my sushi!

I'm famished.
Old February 24, 2009, 02:26 AM   #21
troy_mclure

im not so concerned with with robberies, but with nut jobs coming in and firing off a bunch of rounds, like has happened in california several times over the last few years.
There is only one tactical principle which is not subject to change. It is to use the means at hand to inflict the maximum amount of wound, death, and destruction on the enemy in the minimum amount of time."
Old February 24, 2009, 02:32 AM   #22
Hirlau

Lots of good advice

Just that I don't want to mentally run through a "Check-List" of tactical options each time I go out to eat, which is often (no wife to cook)

I keep two basic rules:

1. Mix/sit close to the crowd at a point where you can see most of the activity in the resturant. (this allows you to camouflage your threat response with the hysterics of the crowd's reaction).

2. Don't sit next to the restrooms. ( Hostilities usually enter through the front/rear doors or the subject enters the restroom from the crowd to "gear up"; exits and that poor soul next to the "Johnny Door" gets the warm-up shot, establishing the mindset of the subject.

Just thoughts...
Old February 24, 2009, 02:47 AM   #23
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

While not carrying CW, I still like back to wall etc. but I also like to be able to watch the honeys. Ticks me off when I gotta do a fake throat clearing cuz momma goes for my seat... She just says "Sorry hun..." and moves... After 20 dang years married she might wait for me to pick or just sit with back to door.
Brent
Old February 24, 2009, 03:04 AM   #24
koolminx

Damn!
I don't know what I walked into when I registered here, You guy's are starting to sound like the people I lived near in Nebraska a while back...

Always saying the same thing many of you are... But guess what fellers?

Remember that Christmas Mall shooting in Omaha last year or the year before, where the kid walked in and just killed everybody that was dumb enough to stand there?

Well I know of THREE concealed carry people that were with in 100 feet of that lunatic teenager, that RAN and HID when the schitt hit the fan, just like all the girls and school kids.

They also talked tactically about where they "automatically sit favoring their shootin' hand" and all the same old same old, all because they seen some good old kick ass Gangster movies...

I'm not trying to rain on your parade guy's, I think you're all pretty damn helpful as a group, and have some very helpful posts, and a lot of informative reading!

I'm just gonna end my post with how I sit when I go out.

I sit wherever the hell I want' cuz there aint nobody on this here God's Lovely Green Earth ornery enough, tough enough, gritty enough, big enough, or Sneaky enough (not even them little ninjer fella's) ta come a shootin' up any place that I might be havin' my vittles!

Next time you go out to eat, and you go to your favorite place to hog on some grub, and you walk in, and a strange peacefulness settles all over you like a warm blanket... You can rest assured that it's ME koolminx, sittin' there with my back to the rest of the world protecting YOU from the bad guy's... Gee aint I a nice feller?

-K
Old February 24, 2009, 03:05 AM   #25
BikerRN

Quote:
I don't worry about giving up the better seat to my dad or a few of my buddies. I take the opportunity to slip from condition "red" to "yellow". Also, you get a little practice keeping an eye on your "partner's" 6. Look out for that crazed cook and etc.
I'm not trying to pick on you, really I'm not, but you really need to understand the color code system better if you are going to put it out there for all the world to see.

You cannot maintain "Red" indefinately, unless YOUR red is everybody else's yellow.

Biker
Closed Thread