The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old July 3, 2007, 01:11 PM   #1
Wild Bill Bucks

I didn't know that !

I've seen a lot of references on the forum, as to pigs, and how they can multiply. I did a little research and found out some things I didn't know.

A female pig usually begins her heat cycle between 12 to 16 weeks of age and will go into heat approximately every 21 days. The gestation period of a female pig is three months, three weeks, and three days.

After giving birth, the female is ready to breed again, usually when the piglets are four weeks old.

So if a single pair of pigs have a litter in January of 7 piglets, and three of them are females, and they can breed in four months and have their litters by October, and the mother can have another litter by then, and they all have 7 piglets each, that figures out to You do the math!

This should give you some idea of why they are such a problem when left unchecked.

As far as being a dangerous animal, I found out, that a boar puts off a very strong odor when excited or when a female pig is in heat. Boars can often act like "walking harmones" interested only in eating and breeding. If they cannot find a female in heat, they will mount and attempt to mate with stationary objects such as a ball, large rocks, logs, blankets, and even their water bowl, or a HUMAN'S LEG. During the mateing process, boars can become very protective, aggressive, and possessive of the object they are mating with, so exercise extreme caution when dealing with these animals.

Female pigs can also become erratic during their heat cycle. Although some will become gentle and dosile, others will become very aggressive and tend to bite.

Most of my research came from a sight that is talking about farm raised domestic pigs, but I'm sure the same would hold true for a ferral hog.

Just thought some of you might like to know.

Last edited by Wild Bill Bucks; July 3, 2007 at 01:14 PM. Reason: Spelling---and it probably still ain't right.
Old July 3, 2007, 02:22 PM   #2
fisherman66

What a life. Bunnies ain't got nutten on feral hogs. They sure are gud eaten.
Old July 3, 2007, 02:25 PM   #3
Lavid2002

Haha

Yeah its the life, but I recently found out the only animals on the planet that mate for pleasure are humans (OF COURSE! ) and dolphins.......Man, Poor animals, the two smarter ones have it right...the others just need to know what their missing : P
Old July 3, 2007, 02:27 PM   #4
fisherman66

I must believe all animals mate for pleasure. Man is the only one that should know better.
Old July 3, 2007, 03:23 PM   #5
jhgreasemonkey

I wonder why the population of wild hogs hasnt gone up in Wa state. We have had a small number located in one little area for several years now. I wish the population would go up enough for some decent hog hunting.
Old July 3, 2007, 06:22 PM   #6
Doyle

At last estimate there are more than 6 million wild hogs in Florida (minus the 4 I killed last year). I'm determined to make a bigger dent in the population this year.
Old July 3, 2007, 06:40 PM   #7
T3hK1w1

Wild hogs are a very serious problem in central texas where my deer lease is located. They really tear the place up, and the deer avoid anywhere they've been recently.
Old July 3, 2007, 09:24 PM   #8
FirstFreedom

Quote:
I wonder why the population of wild hogs hasnt gone up in Wa state
Probably because it's *too freakin cold*!! I dunno.

Interesting WBB - I must be the only one around who is glad they multiply rapidly and can't wait til they hit my hunting lands - they're getting close in their range.
Old July 4, 2007, 02:27 AM   #9
Fat White Boy

I have also heard that a pig's orgasm lasts for 30 minutes...Oink Oink!!
Old July 4, 2007, 08:30 AM   #10
Wild Bill Bucks

I like to get the little ones (for the barbie). I probably don't help the over population problem, by not shooting the sow, but the little ones taste so good, I just can't pass them up. I try not to get around any of them I see humped over a rock.