The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old June 2, 2006, 05:17 AM   #1
dogngun

Double barrel 12 for HD use

I have wanted a short barrel (18 1/2")double 12 ga for home defence use, and I'm looking at an old Ranger (Stevens 311),excellent working condition, with over 50 years of dings and scrapes, for $175. I will do the work on this gun, have done a few before, but I'd like to know if any of you have a similar double for "just in case".
Thanks.

Mark
Old June 2, 2006, 06:02 AM   #2
Hal

Yes.
2 in fact but I only use the Stoeger for defensive use.
A 12 ga SxS "Coach Gun" made by Rossi w/external hammers.
A 12 ga SxS "Coach Gun" made by Stoeger w/box locks.

The Rossi is by far the better gun. Fit and finish are very decent and it handles much better than the Stoeger. The Stoeger hs the advantage of breaking down into three pieces just a bit easier as well as being a current production firearm. The Rossi has been out of production for years, and is in too good of a condition to use as anything other than a pampered "toy".
(Understand here that I searched off and on for over 20 years to find a "Rabbit ear Rossi" in like new or new condition before I finally did find one)

I highly recommend these:
http://www.the-armory.com/shopsite_s...Mini-Slug.html
as a HD round.
They shoot very soft in either of mine, are accurate enough and pack a wallop. (325 gr @ ~1200 fps)

Re: Only two shots from a SxS vs more from a pump. - Which is the typical argument against a SxS.
Yes - you do sacrifice both capacity and reloading speed to some degree.
The trade off with a SxS with double triggers is that you gain an "extra gun".
One side can experience a total failure and the other side can still be 100% functional. This was the primary idea behind the famous African double rifles used on dangerous game.
With some degree of practice, a good shooter with a double can also keep pace with a pump gun.

For a survival type, or break it down and stow it in the trunk type, a SxS is also a good choice. My Stoeger breaks down into 3 very easy to pack pieces.
Anytime I travel via car or van, it goes along in the suitcase along with a mixed bag of shells - usually five each of bird shot, high brass #5, slugs and 00buck.

Enjoy.
Post some pics too when you get it cleaned up.
Old June 2, 2006, 11:13 AM   #3
skeeter1

I have a pair of Ithaca/SKB SxS 12-guage doubles. They're not my first choice for HD (I prefer a revolver), but either would work if needed. Sadly (but maybe good for me), they've been discontinued.

Though just a single trigger, in the event of a misfire, you can press the button on the trigger to fire the other barrel. In normal use, it uses an inertia mechanism to switch between barrels. I've fired thousands of rounds through each of them and never had a misfire, and that includes my own handloads.

I keep a box of #5 birdshot on hand that I used to use for pheasant hunting that I think would work well in the house, where the maximum distance would be about 30'. I've got some 000 Magnum buck and rifled slugs, but I'd worry that those could go through my house and into a neighbors house with possible deadly consequences.
Old June 3, 2006, 05:38 AM   #4
dogngun

Thanks for the responses. I bought the 311 last night. I'm cleaning it up and will take my time finishing it. It's a good, solid gun, and it will do very well in its new job. I like the doubles because of absolute reliability, simple operation, small size when taken down, and they just look good.

Mark
Thanks for the info on the slugs - I will look into them.
Old June 3, 2006, 06:21 AM   #5
maas

quick question if a "gangsta" type uses a side by side does that make it an over & under?

There's always one thing that makes Republicans look good on election day...........Democrats!
Old June 3, 2006, 09:20 AM   #6
dfaugh

Actually, with practice, you can get 4 shots off with a double, almost as fast as with a pump...I've tried it. How I was taught was to keep 2 more shells in my "off" hand, between the fingers...Fire 2, break open and load the other 2...It takes some practice, but it works pretty well.

"No one has the answer, but one thing is true.
You'e got to turn on evil, when its coming after you.
You've gotta face it down,and when it tries to hide,
you've got to go in after it, and never be denied.
Time is running out...Let's roll.
Let's roll for freedom, let's roll for love.
We're going after satan, on the wings of a dove.
Let's roll for freedom, let's roll for truth.
Let's not let our children grow up fearful in their youth."