The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old November 8, 2005, 06:36 PM   #1
Doug.38PR

Hellfire vs. full auto

Considering all this talk about Muslim riots in Europe and if it happened here and considering how difficult it is to own a fully automatic weapon here (I understand you need a "special" permit to own one issued by the "almighty" U.S. Government which costs about $3000 and the cost of the weapon itself is even more) I was wondering how fast hellfires speed things up compared to fully automatic weapons. Say I put a hellfire on my M-1 carbine or go buy a semi auto Thompson and put a hellfire on it, how would it compare to the full auto?

Those could be quite useful in "hosing" down rioters
Old November 8, 2005, 07:11 PM   #2
SW40F

Aimed semi-automatic rifle fire will beat 'hosing' at a medium to long range.

It will also conserve ammo, doling it out when you decide, and allowing you to keep count and execute a tactical reload if time permits.

Full-auto is for Vietnam, and the movies.

[Flame suit on]
Old November 8, 2005, 07:19 PM   #3
doubleaes2

Quote:
(I understand you need a "special" permit to own one issued by the "almighty" U.S. Government which costs about $3000 and the cost of the weapon itself is even more)
There is no "permit", there is a $200.00 tax that must be payed. And accurate semi auto fire is your best bet. Who wants to run out of ammo too fast?

+1 SW40F
Old November 8, 2005, 07:30 PM   #4
shaggy

The Hellfire and similar devices are crap - don't waste your money. First, you have to hold the weapon very loosely so its no more accurate than hipshooting. Second, its a waste of ammo. I have quite a few registered full autos, but if the poop hits the fan, I'd be just as happy with a similar type semi (except for the GPMGs). Third, The Hellfire and similar devices don't do anything you can't do with your own index finger (ie. belt loop trick, bumpfiring).
Old November 8, 2005, 07:42 PM   #5
cmreinke

Short of a heavy machine gun with a mile or two's worth of chain-fed rounds (and a buddy to help), a semiautomatic rifle will almost certainly serve you better than fully automatic one.

However, a pump shotgun with plenty of 00-buck shot is probably best. Hence the moniker "riot gun".

-Charles
Old November 11, 2005, 09:35 AM   #6
smince

I've played around with the Tac-trigger/Hellfire/whatever-name-they-will-give-it-next-when-it-won't-sell-anymore. The ones I used were so soft metal that they will sometimes deform just trying to mount them on the trigger guard.

Luckily, I didn't pay for the POS.

Now I don't claim to know all the details of owning NFA weapons, but I wish I had a $ for everytime I've run across all the misinformation out there.
Old November 11, 2005, 10:31 AM   #7
grey_pilgrim

I"m not so sure. I think a hellfire might be nice, although less so in a riot scenario. I think it beats full auto every time. A bit more expensive, though.

Old November 11, 2005, 02:45 PM   #8
Northern Sod Breaker

depends on wether it's close or long range. and wethe ror not your enemies wearing armour. If your enemy is close range no armour as is typical. Just reach for a good pump gun and some buck shot.
Old November 12, 2005, 07:09 AM   #9
smince

Doug38PR:

I just noticed you had posted this thread twice. Didn't you believe the other 9 people that told you the Hellfire was a POS?
Old November 12, 2005, 05:20 PM   #10
Doug.38PR

it got posted twice accidentally I guess. The firingline website was apparently having problems loading and responding that night. Didn't look like it went through the first time so I waited about thirty minutes and tried to post the message again. I noticed yesterday that it was on here twice. I tried going to one of them and thought the messages looked different than the past few days, it was then I noticed that both threads had gone through and hence had different people responding to each.
Old November 12, 2005, 06:01 PM   #11
James K
Member In Memoriam

Those fake full auto devices are crap. But anyone who thinks full auto fire is just spray and pray doesn't know anything about FA and probably has never used a FA weapon. The idea of FA fire is not to "hose down" people (except in very limited circumstances, like a human wave attack) but to increase the lethal effect by placing several shots in the target area. That is why uncontrollable FA fire (e.g., the M14 rifle) is worse than useless.

A little story: When I first got a TSMG, a friend and I set up five silhouette targets at about 50 feet. I proceded to play John Wayne with a 50 round drum and got one (1) hit on one (1) target. He whipped out an Auto Five and put a full load of 9 00 buck in each target in about 2 seconds. Taught me a lesson; I later learned to use a Thompson, but never forgot that putting nine rounds in each target with the TSMG would have taken a lot longer, and that the Browning would have been a lot more effective.

Jim
Old November 13, 2005, 04:20 PM   #12
psycho nut

What's a hellfire????

Is it one of the crank handle things that you attach to the trigger guard? Kinda like a Gatling Gun?
Old November 13, 2005, 04:21 PM   #13
kozak6

I think the Hellfire just "helps" you to bump-fire.
Old November 13, 2005, 04:29 PM   #14
smince

Right. I think. I get all this crap confused. And I think the TAC-TRIGGER was suppossed to pull your trigger three times for everytime it was pulled.