The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old December 6, 2004, 10:54 AM   #1
FirstFreedom

Met the most interesting fellow while hunting this weekend

He was camped next to us in a public camping area adjacent to some public hunting lands. In the course of a short conversation, I learned the following:

1. There are no deer down in this one hollow - no sign; none whatsoever; the reason being there is a mountain lion down there (for some reason he doesn't roam beyond this hollow); this guy saw the mountain lion - it was very old and was 10 foot nose to tail. He found a covered up half-eaten deer kill, so he climbed inside an hollowed-out tree stump to wait for its return to observe it, and sure enough, it came back. Mind you, there are not many pumas at all in OK.

2. He only uses an AR in .223 for deer. He takes head shots only.

3. The scope on said AR is 50 power he said - that's F-I-F-T-Y power.

4. He's looking for this big buck nicknamed "Heart Attack".

5. He normally has 2 deer hanging in camp by this time of the season/week, but had none at this time; bad luck. Strangely, however, his 11 year old boy had come over to our camp earlier in the day and explained that his dad has not gotten a deer in six years. Hmmm.

6. Earlier in the year, he shot a 700+ pound feral pig in this one public hunitng land.

7. Finally - get ready - yap, you guessed it - he's is a RETIRED NAVY SEAL!

He did make a mean bean and ham soup, however. Not bad coffee either.

Old December 6, 2004, 10:58 AM   #2
Erich

I think I know him!
Old December 6, 2004, 11:05 AM   #3
2002gti

yep i know him too

except my guy drove nascar too.
Old December 6, 2004, 01:25 PM   #4
Rmouleart

I hunted with a bunch of old and Navy Seals up at Northern Hideaway about eighty miles northwest of FtKent, Rod Sirios is the Master guide of Northern Hideaway, he is also a Navy seal from the nam days, Bunch of good old guys, but real serious hunters, they all had some really nice rifle's, all customs, it seemed with 50MM scopes this was the last week of baited bearhunts in Maine, All the Navy Seals are old friends from the hay days and there was some submarine guys as wel,l all connected. I enjoyed there company at the camp fires after the hunts. They had some good stories to learn from, Made some good friends. Aim small hit small. RAMbo.
Old December 6, 2004, 04:40 PM   #5
FirstFreedom

Cool. Yeah, a 50 mm scope would make sense, but he reiterated clearly that it was 50 power, after I said "50 power?!?", after the 1st time he said it.
Old December 6, 2004, 04:58 PM   #6
redneck

First Freedom
It was nice meeting you too. I don't get to stay out there nearly as long as I'd like on my yearly hunt trips and its great to teach some of you younguns a thing or two about huntin. Maybe next year I'll take you down into that hollow with me, an we can shoot that puma with my special buckmark pistol. Its got a 32 (THIRTY TWO!) power scope on it and I routinely shoot half inch groups at 100 yhards with it (offhand of course, and you have to use match quality ammo like Remington golden bullets). Its a much better gun for hunting cougars in a hollow than my tricked out AR cause the 50 power scope just isn't fast enough handlin for a fast moving cougar in a small hollow.
Remind me to tell you about that bear I killed with my navy seal tactical knife, and I'll show you how to skin a deer with a special forces folding shovel.
Until next year, your friend
Redneck
Old December 6, 2004, 06:10 PM   #7
FirstFreedom

Boy is my face red!

I didn't know that you were also a TFL member, redneck.
Old December 6, 2004, 06:15 PM   #8
Greybeard

Did ya happen to notice what he was using to "flavor" the coffee?
Old December 6, 2004, 07:46 PM   #9
redneck

How could a great hunter like me NOT be a member of a place like this

Old December 6, 2004, 07:57 PM   #10
Long Path

That's funny. I swear, I met him, or his brother, a coupla years back while airing up my tires at a truckstop on I-35. He asked about the tires on my truck, and then went on to tell me about how he'd been hunting up in OK, and after having missed a chance to shoot a big buck because it walked under his tree stand, he dragged a 30 lb river rock up there the next day, and killed it by dropping the stone on the buck.
Old December 7, 2004, 03:20 AM   #11
Poer_bullet

He and all his friends hunt in Africa every year! He also kills Cape buff with a 22-250 (only brain shots!)

Ooooo...... we love these hunters! They give the hunting faternity in South Africa a great perception about american hunters!!
Old December 7, 2004, 07:28 PM   #12
MeekAndMild

Sounds like the father in the movie "Big Fish" Our Australian friends would say he knew how to spin a good yarn and would offer to buy him a beer. Or three, if the yarns kept coming.
In a few years when the dust finally clears and people start counting their change there is a pretty good chance that President Obama may become known as The Great Absquatulator. You heard it first here on TFL.
Old December 14, 2004, 09:59 AM   #13
edgeofhell

the more I read about that guy you met I wonder two things.........

1) what the hell is my uncle Raymond doing in Oklahoma when he is supposed to be "privately contracted" to bounty hunt osama?

2) when did uncle Raymond learn to make coffee?

I'm very concerned
Old December 14, 2004, 11:36 AM   #14
bill k

You mean he forgot to mention he was a former sniper?
Old December 14, 2004, 09:02 PM   #15
madmurdoc

Did he mention a 30 lb squirrel he took with a blowgun made from a straw and a toothpick?

I love stories about these guys. That 30lb squirrel came from a one of my dad's hunting partners that would always one-up the competition when the hunting stories started.

Michigan Constitution, Declaration of Rights, Sec. 5. "Every person has a right to bear arms for the defense of himself and the state."
Old December 14, 2004, 09:51 PM   #16
thralduro

Believe it or not I work with a guy kinda like that...."Ex-Navy SEAL" type. And this guy is a real life Cop. :barf:

http://www.leaa.org/

http://www.nra.org/
Old December 15, 2004, 06:41 PM   #17
FirstFreedom

Quote:
what the hell is my uncle Raymond doing in Oklahoma when he is supposed to be "privately contracted" to bounty hunt osama
Bwaaaahahahaha - maybe uncle Ray has a hot tip that Bin Laden is hiding out in the place where he'd be least likely to be suspected - the U.S. (hiding in the woods).
Old December 15, 2004, 06:50 PM   #18
bill k

With a game warden watching him, he shot a three point buck (this is an old X zone in Calif where it was three point or better only). The warden walked out with him to validate the deer, but when he got there he found out it was a forked horn and a spike standing side by side. He got them both.

Warden just said, guess the convic's we'll be eaten venison tonight, and let him go.
Old December 17, 2004, 12:01 AM   #19
NSO_w/_SIG

How about this one!

A guy at work told me he shot the antlers off a deer........ seems he had no more room in his freezer, but he couldn't pass up those big antlers.

I just wonder if these people know how ridiculous they sound. Where do these people come from?
Old December 17, 2004, 09:36 AM   #20
Cowled_Wolfe

Location: Washington... Land of the apple, and the apple maggot!
'I shot off the deer's head because my freezer was full, but I wanted another trophy...'

Some people are simply rediculous.
Old December 20, 2004, 02:39 PM   #21
FirstFreedom

Quote:
A guy at work told me he shot the antlers off a deer........ seems he had no more room in his freezer, but he couldn't pass up those big antlers.
ROTFLMFAOTAR!
Old December 24, 2004, 03:23 PM   #22
PSE

the 30 pound rock is total overkill. i use half a concrete block w/ a rope tied to it for quick reloads.
Old January 4, 2005, 08:40 PM   #23
appleguy53

Use a couple of goood bunji cords on the cinder block and you can go FULL AUTO!

If allowed where you live.
Old January 5, 2005, 08:15 AM   #24
PSE

tried it. too hard to control on burst.
Old January 12, 2005, 02:01 PM   #25
FirstFreedom

Forgot to tell ya, a couple of other things about this gentleman. Whenever he sees a deer, he immediately drops to his knees, or down to one knee, so that the deer won't see his head and make out the fact the noisemaker (from the deer's perspective) is human. Then he waits for his head shot.

Also, seems he used to be a hunting guide somewhere up north, and one time he was taking some city slickers on a horseback hunt. They were crossing a creek, when one of the city boys fell off his horse into the creek. He begins writhing and squirming and shouting in pain, since his battery-powered electric-heated socks, top, and bottoms got wet and shocked him. Lol.