The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 20, 2013, 08:04 AM   #1
HubertMoC

32 win spec and Reloader 7?

Hey guys,

Let me start by saying I am very new to reloading and really appreciate all of the great info on these forums.

The question I have may already have been addressed but I'll ask anyway:

I have a model 94 .32 win spec and I want to reload the otherwise very expensive ammo. My "gunshop guy" prescribed Reloader 7 at 28-31 grains for the Hornady 170gr bullet.

The problem is that I can find these specs in my reloading book/Hornady's website/ or even Realoders website. Is it possible that they just haven't published info for this caliber and powder combo?

Does anyone have any history with reloading .32ws and if so what did you use?

Again, I'm new to this so I'm sure I left out relevant info or I'm just simply overlooking the obvious but thanks for your patience and advice.

Mike
Old March 20, 2013, 08:28 AM   #2
sundog

Mike, the 32 Win Spl is a necked up 30-30. Load data for the 30-30 can be used with equal weight bullet, but the pressure (and velocity) will be a tad lower due to increased bullet diameter. As always, start at the low end and work up.

If you really want to save A LOT of money, use cast bullets instead of jacketed. Cast performance can equal or exceed jacketed through careful hand loading. The Mdl 94 has a 16 twist which is VERY cast bullet friendly.

Go here - http://www.castpics.net/LoadData/Surplus/default.html

Also go here - http://www.castpics.net/LoadData/default.html and do a search for 32 Win
Old March 20, 2013, 10:38 AM   #3
jag2

I've reloaded for a 32 WSP for years and always used Hogdon BL-C(2) with very good results. However, in my experience I have to disagree with sundog, I had terrible results with lead. I also shoot the Hornady 170 with very good results (for me anyway) but as soon as I slip a lead round in I'm all over the place. Tried various things to make it better with no luck. I think 2000 fps is just too fast for lead, maybe somebody else can make it work but I sure couldn't. And FYI, the Lee reloading manual say 23.6 to 24.0 for Reloader 7 so 28 to 31 sounds pretty hot but I have to admit I've never used that powder. With it being such a narrow range, makes me think that may not be an ideal powder for that round.
Old March 20, 2013, 11:15 AM   #4
salvadore

Sundog is right on about cast bullets in the 32 spec. Accurate mold has a new 32-160g design that cast great bullets, the base remains above the shoulder while the nose doesn't run into the lands. If the weather ever gets better I will give an accuracy report. Oh yeah, I've been using 4198 mainly because I found a couple of old cans stuffed in a misplaced box.
Old April 2, 2013, 08:00 PM   #5
HubertMoC

Thanks guys for the tips and advice, now the trick is finding the stuff to make it happen.
Old April 2, 2013, 10:13 PM   #6
Sure Shot Mc Gee

[QUOTE CAUTION: The following post includes loading data beyond currently published maximums for this cartridge. USE AT YOUR OWN RISK. Neither the writer, The Firing Line, nor the staff of TFL assume any liability for any damage or injury resulting from use of this information [/QUOTE]

HubertMoC: The loading you listed is indeed mentioned in a reloaders manual I have. Lyman 45th edition // copyright 1970.

32-Special -170 gr jacketed bullet.

28.0 grs. Hercules Reloader #7= 2123 fps. (starting load)
31.0 grs. " " " " " " " " " " " " " " = 2283 fps. (max)

Most accurate load: 28.0 gr. Hercules-Reloader #7

Factory Duplication loading: 30.6 Hercules-Reloader #7 = 2262 fps.

But OP on Alliant's current Web recipe page. It no longer list the 170 gr. bullet weight for their powders usage as you know. Maybe Alliant #7 powders formula isn't the same or has been changed from the original Hercules #7 ? Just be safe if you intend to use this posted recipe. Please: Start low and work your way up slowly.

Post Script: I shoot a 32 Special 94 Win with a cast. Lyman 321297 G/C w/ IMR-3031. Others prefer Alliant 2400 with this 297 mold.

Last edited by Sure Shot Mc Gee; April 2, 2013 at 10:42 PM.
Old April 4, 2013, 09:02 AM   #7
salvadore

SS mcgee, does your bullet contact the rifling of your rifle?
Old April 4, 2013, 11:03 AM   #8
Sure Shot Mc Gee

Quote:
SS mcgee, does your bullet contact the rifling of your rifle?
I would hope so.

From my experiences. I've found the 32 Spec Win's I have preform best when their cast bullets are resized & gas/checked to .323 dia. I also use my rifles for hunting purposes not plinking. Thus their bullets need for gas checking because of my choice of powder used. (3031 up close to its Max charge rate.) Is my preference.
Hope this info helps. As that 32 Special once gotten on track for accuracy will indeed become one of your favorites._

S/S

Tags
.32ws , reloader 7 , reloading help