The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old February 18, 2013, 07:37 PM   #1
deerslayer303

One brand nipple for all my revolvers?

Ok, I'm going to beat a dead horse here. I want to fit all my revolvers with one brand of nipple, so I can just have ONE brand / size of good fitting caps. And so I can cap using the capper instead of having to pinch some caps a little. RWS 1075 fit the stock Pietta nipples really good, they don't fit the Uberti 1860 that well, they need a pinch and so do CCI #11's, CCI #10's don't fit either. So what brand nipple can I buy to fit the, Pietta Rem. NMA, Uberti 1860, and the soon to acquire Uberti 1851 Navy, that I can just buy ONE brand and size of cap. I have a bunch of CCI 11's as they are readily available most anywhere. I'm going to go ahead and spend the money and fit them and ALL their cylinders with new nipples.
Old February 18, 2013, 08:04 PM   #2
woodnbow

I'm guessing here but you might just replace nipples with the Treso Ampco nipples, they should be as close to identical gun to gun as you're gonna get.
Old February 18, 2013, 08:13 PM   #3
Hawg

+1 on Treso.
Old February 18, 2013, 08:16 PM   #4
BirchOrr

^^^

I did this a long time ago for the exact same reason. I didn't want to have this for this and that for that, too much confusion!

I convereted every pistol I own to a stainless nipple that took a #11 cap and a very small flash hole. You really want as much energy going out the barrel and as little blow-back as possible. I've heard guys tell here in a different thread, the nipples in their gun were so old and had been fired so many times, it would re-cock the hammer after a shot turning that 6 shooter into a semi-auto!

I have had different tins of caps made by the same company that were incorrect. If this happens, throw them away and save yourself the greif!

It's bad enough loading different size balls into different pistols, (I recently loaded my ROA full of .454 balls instead of .457) what a boob! They did shoot out OK but obviously all over the map. I was amazed I had no ball creep.

Yeah... "just do it". It only gets worse the older you get.

Birch
Black Powder: Not because it is easy, but because it is hard, because that goal will serve to organize and measure the best of our energies and skills, because that challenge is one that we are willing to accept, one we are unwilling to postpone, and one which we intend to win...
Old February 18, 2013, 08:40 PM   #5
Bishop Creek

Well, here's my 2¢. I have several Pietta Remingtons, both .44 and .36 cal, several Uberti Colt style revolvers including a Colt Signature Series 1860 Army .44 (3rd gen. Colt) and a 1980s 2nd generation Colt .36 Police and all have stock nipples. All I ever use on all of them is Remington No. 10 caps with no problems. I hate CCI caps.
Old February 18, 2013, 09:02 PM   #6
BirchOrr

^^^

Bishop,

With all due respect sir, this is the exception... not the rule. I'm glad things have worked out well for you!

I don't "hate" anything.

There are no standards for caps, even within the same manufacturer. I've bought numerous tins, (at the same time) and had one tin that was so far off they simply didn't work, Idon't care who made them. This is not abnormal and it does happen. I simply throw them away.

We have people here just getting started and it's our job to help them get the best experience possible. Inform without bias.

All the best to you sir,

Birch
Black Powder: Not because it is easy, but because it is hard, because that goal will serve to organize and measure the best of our energies and skills, because that challenge is one that we are willing to accept, one we are unwilling to postpone, and one which we intend to win...
Old February 18, 2013, 09:42 PM   #7
Bishop Creek

BirchOrr,
I appreciate your comments. Not trying to steer anyone along the wrong path. It is just that in over 40 years of shooting cap ‘n ball revolvers (and I have owned, sold, bought, and traded many over the years, including a Ruger Old Army), I have never had a fitment problem with Remington No. 10 caps. On the other hand I have had numerous problems with CCI and RWS caps. Like I said, just my 2¢.
Old February 18, 2013, 10:17 PM   #8
Hawg

I love CCI caps but all I can get locally are #11. I get a lot of missing compound with Remington. I have learned to look at each one before I load them.
Old February 18, 2013, 10:22 PM   #9
deerslayer303

Well in my brief experience, no matter what brand, if I can get them to stay on the nipple they ALL make em go KABOOM!! So since CCI is so readily available, I would like a nipple that they fit good. And yes Remington #10's fit the NMA perfect, but I can't always get them.
Old February 18, 2013, 10:22 PM   #10
BirchOrr

B. C.

Undertood.

I like the Remington caps myself. What I thought was important is the fact things are simply not like they used to be and are (recently) not the same. Things change. Times change. Been doing this a LONG time myself.

No offence taken and none intended.

All the best,

Birch
Old February 18, 2013, 10:32 PM   #11
BirchOrr

As usual...

... Hawg is right on.

In this day and age, so as not to get burned, you need to:

#1) have all the nipples in your guns/pistols the same brand.

#2) Take a nipple out and take it with ya when you go to buy caps and check each tin for fit (no matter WHAT brand you prefer).

#3) If ya order them on-line, you're taking your chances plain and simple. Be prepared to throw away an entire tin that doesn't fit properly.

Birch
Old February 18, 2013, 11:01 PM   #12
Fingers McGee

Treso or Slix Shot cones and #10 Remington caps are IMNSHO, best combination available. My curent competition Uberti '61 Navies are wearing Slix Shots and use Remington #10s that I buy 5000 at a time. I have no problems with missfires or cap jams.
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee - AKA Man of Many Colts - Alter ego of Diabolical Ken; SASS Regulator 28564-L-TG; Rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman, Pistoleer, NRA Endowment Life, NMLRA, SAF, CCRKBA, STORM 327, SV115; Charter member, Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Cynic: A blackguard whose faulty vision see things as they are, not as they should be. Ambrose Bierce