The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old October 25, 2012, 09:37 AM   #1
rsh32crew

Militia Rising

Did anyone else think that Militia Rising was a ridiculous show that put firearm owners and enthusiasts in bad light? Not to mention half of the non-former service personnel who wore officer rank and insignia......

I must say the only member I respected was the ranger who had the "rapelling" accident had my heart as he wanted to show his true duty to country...
Old October 25, 2012, 11:36 AM   #2
darkroommike

Never had military service (4 pins in my ankle), but even I could see procedural errors in the techniques employed, e.g. breaking the skyline while on "patrol", not to mention the overall physical condition of those boys (one or two looked to be a hundred pounds overweight). And some of them seemed a little confused about the difference between attention and parade rest.
Old October 25, 2012, 02:20 PM   #3
Nine the Ranger

Dear lord, these people exist?!

Mall Ninjas and Idiots ahoy. I'm all for prepping and being safe, but it's a little more than Beans, Bullets, and Bandages.
Old October 25, 2012, 08:56 PM   #4
bbqbob51

I watched it last night and there were many cringe worthy moments.
Old October 26, 2012, 07:53 AM   #5
g.willikers

Isn't that the whole point of these anti gun propaganda shows?
To show gun owners in the worst possible light.
Find and show the worst and ignore the best.
Old October 26, 2012, 06:57 PM   #6
4V50 Gary
Staff

From just this thread, it makes me happy I don't watch television.

Read a book. You might just learn something. Read a magazine too. I liked D. Hansen's article on the belt fed AR with the quick barrel change. Pure happiness. Too bad the budget says no.
Old October 26, 2012, 07:35 PM   #7
tekarra

Saw part of the programme, could not watch the entire episode.
Old October 26, 2012, 07:48 PM   #8
pnac

Quote:

It's called a media "roll-out". Plant the idea that something is good or bad,in advance, in the publics mind. Think back to "villians" in the past and how they instantly were accepted as the bad guys at exactly the same time on different channels.
Oh Lord grant me speed - Gram Parsons
Old October 26, 2012, 09:09 PM   #9
Mark In Texas

The guy in the Indiana Militia who talked about the importance of stockpiling ammo and food. It looked like he stockpiled a lot of Cheetos.

The Florida Militia doing a password routine in broad daylight with the commander, from an "undisclosed location" in North Florida. Then the commander brags about access to fresh water from a nearby named spring. So much for undisclosed.

The whole thing was kind of pathetic. The ranks on people who have never served, the stupid procedures that had no tactical use. And where do they find all those 4XL sized camouflage sets?
Old October 26, 2012, 09:13 PM   #10
RamItOne

yeah mostly a bunch of yahoos giving antis somewhat valid ammo....

https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/pet...rtant/DJyvnHz0
Old October 26, 2012, 11:52 PM   #11
spanishjames

Quote:
Makes me wonder who's behind it.
Old October 27, 2012, 12:55 AM   #12
gunmoney

It was sad, so very sad.
Old October 27, 2012, 01:04 AM   #13
pgdion

I liked the part at the end where they were taking inventory ... 700 rounds of ammo. 700??? That's not enough for one guy! I liked when the one guy dropped his gun too. Whatever.
Old October 27, 2012, 10:24 AM   #14
Hansam

Stockpiling ammo is 700 rounds? Holy crap... I reload and shoot way more than that on a weekly basis. Heck I'm going out this afternoon with a little more than 2k rounds and expect to come back with nothing but empty brass...
Old October 28, 2012, 12:10 AM   #15
medalguy

I watched about 10 minutes and had to turn it off.....
Old October 28, 2012, 06:06 AM   #16
rebs

I thought it was rediculous, reminded me of Barny Phif on Andy of Mayberry lol
Old October 28, 2012, 06:07 AM   #17
rebs

I thought it was rediculous, reminded me of Barny Phif on Andy of Mayberry lol
You don't think the real militia's would be on film on tv do you ?
Old October 28, 2012, 04:24 PM   #18
C Philip

Quote:
You don't think the real militia's would be on film on tv do you ?
The real militia is all able bodied men between the ages of 18 and 45, as established by the Militia Act of 1903. Some state constitutions have similar language.
Old October 28, 2012, 04:44 PM   #19
Frasier

I'm sure they had plenty of training playing "Call of Duty" and took a two week online boot camp course , the only way they could pass.....oh, and watched Full Metal Jacket while eating jelly doughnuts.
Old October 29, 2012, 11:33 AM   #20
pgdion

Quote:
The real militia is all able bodied men between the ages of 18 and 45
I'm not part of the Militia anymore???
Gawd how I hate getting old!!!
Old October 29, 2012, 12:29 PM   #21
Tom Servo
Staff

Quote:
The real militia is all able bodied men between the ages of 18 and 45, as established by the Militia Act of 1903.
That's the constitutional definition. Those of us who lived through the 1990's remember that the media and politicians had their own definition, and it was one that really tainted things.

"Militia" can conjure up different meanings for different people. For many of us, it's the correct definition. For many other folks, it's a sinister concept involving homegrown terrorist or insurrectionist activity. As recently as two years ago, Time ran a spread about domestic militia groups that painted a very bleak and sinister picture.
Old October 30, 2012, 12:33 AM   #22
44 AMP
Staff

Militias are dangerous!

(after all, if they weren't, they wouldn't be much good when needed, now would they?)

and if you cannot convince people they are a threat, then convince them they are five thumbed idiots with lots of guns (also a danger)...

one man's militia is another's terrorist...

by their actions shall ye know them...
Old October 30, 2012, 11:13 AM   #23
Mac's!

I started watching it but then had to give up. Yeah, there was a lot of cr@p, so-called secret locations, etc. but what made me reach for the remoter was the guy crying that this what he always wanted, etc. etc. He had tears running down his face!

Back about 1979 or so, a local TV station asked us if they could do a documetary on us. This was in North Florida. We were not a militia group. We were a group of survivalists. We said Nope! They tried to convince us that it would a good thing but we still said Nope.

A couple of months later, they finished their documentary and showed it on TV. They had gone up into Georgia and filmed a group there. That group also claimed to be surviavlists. They showed footage of their "bunker and supplies". Their bunker had water puddles all over it and was half full of trash. Their supplies consisted of beer and ammo. Their training was shooting the empty beer cans. That was it!

The documentary made them out to be total idiots, loosers, wannabe's, etc. and dangerous to society. They may have been but maybe they were only portrayed that way. That's my point. 1000 hours of film reduced to an hour. Pick and choose those "special moments". Maybe even stage a shot. "Hey hey! You guys should ask for passwords like the Army does", etc.

Anyway, it's just a thought. I don't believe three quarters of what I hear or see from media outlets, either good or bad. Keep yer powder dry, Mac.
Tuff-Gun Finishes. The Name Says It All.
Mac's Shootin' Irons
http://www.shootiniron.com
Old October 31, 2012, 01:31 PM   #24
Robk

I saw the first episode. Now I never had an military experience, unless boy scouts count, but I could see this they were fundermentally flawed in their training. Heck, one of these "recuirts" had been with them for 6 months and had no clue how to fire a weapon (ar15/ak47). He even called an AR an AK. 6 months and no one has trained him in firearms??

Than their Family retrieval team thing was just scary. 5 armed people going into a home and clearing it with live weapons with children in the house, who trains like this?? Only highly skilled personnel train like this. These were not them. As they are leaving with the secured family members in vehicles you hear one curse. Opps, he just dropped his gun, still in the holster, on the ground while entering the van.

I may be considered an arm chair commander by some, but these people do not have the training to be doing these types of "missions". Just IMHO. I could be wrong, but I really thought these people were mostly wannabees. Nothing wrong with their basic concepts, but training would actually be required. Real training, not just hitting a range and pitching a tent, and poorly for that matter.

Wow, I could not believe what I was seeing. I'm sure there is much more and I could go on, but what's the point. You get the idea by now.
Old October 31, 2012, 01:46 PM   #25
SPEMack618

I flipped to it when I saw it on the DirectTv guide, and couldn't get past the heavy set fellow in MARPATs with subdued O-6 insiginia berating his "troops" over how to construct a shelter.

You expect me to believe that ths guys have AR-15s, MARPATs, and what looked to be BLACKHAWK! assualt vests and yet they can't buy a $100 backpacking tent from REI?

I flipped back to King of the Hill at that. That's Boy Scout 2nd Class advancement stuff. Just more fuel to the "gun owners are insurrectionists" fire.

Tags
american militia , discovery , tv shows