The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old January 22, 2001, 02:56 AM   #1
12 ga.

Looking for a pump shotgun. Went to a local gunshop and the fellow showed me a HK Nova. I was impressed with the features. The saleman said he been selling more HK Nova than any other pump and has had good feedback from owners. My question is if this gun this good or is it to early to really know? I know it cost about 70 to 80 dollars more than the 870. Also my not sure if I like the one piece stock and receiver. Thanks for your time!!!
Old January 22, 2001, 04:25 AM   #2
gw360

I would have to say that it depends on what you are looking for.

The 870 is a proven, time-honored design. While it's great out of the box, there are a lot of aftermarket accessories and gunsmiths that do custom work on 870s, if that interests you.

I love Benelli products, and I own a M3 Convertible. I've looked at the Nova, and I like what I see. I might even buy one - but I don't know that I would recommend it as a first shotgun or pump gun. Not that I think anything is wrong with it, but it is a new product, and I might wait to see what improvements or changes (if any) are incorporated in the next few years.
Old January 22, 2001, 06:56 AM   #3
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

I know little about the Nova. OTOH, I know the 870 has an unmatched track record for its incredible ability of keep on functioning, no matter what the neglect and abuse it suffers...
Old January 22, 2001, 08:00 PM   #4
hksigwalther

The Nova I got has worked without a hitch. It is a bit lighter (at ;east compared to the 11-87 I was shooting it with) so the recoil was a bit more than I had expected, even with light game loads. (Got the ghost ringed 'civil defence' one.)

When it first came out I wasn't really enthused about its looks, but once I got the chance to hold one I quickly switched. Being one who praises function over form I bought one. What is it about the one piece stock/receiver that you don't like?
Old January 22, 2001, 10:39 PM   #5
12 ga.

The one piece stock/receiver seems to limit the options one could add to the gun ie. shorter stock, pistol grip/folder etc. Also if there is a problem with the receiver you are going to be buying a stock or the other way around. The 870 and the Nova I was interested in were both 3 1/2" guns. I'm not sure if different barrels lengths are an option with the Nova. Thanks again for your time!!
Old January 23, 2001, 12:03 AM   #6
Shawn Dodson

Want to accessorize your shotgun? See how many products are available for the Nova, and then how many are available for the 870.

The 870 is the Jeep of shotguns.
Old January 23, 2001, 03:01 AM   #7
don vito

got the nova gost ring sites 18.5 inch barel blue finish 4+1 in the chamber but mag extencions are available
benelli not hk, hk doe's not import benelli any more but they import fabarm these days well diferent subject
love the nova shot over 200rd through mine everything from #4 licht recoil to 3inch magnum slugs
good gun and chamberd for 3.5inch magnums which means that 2.3 inchers are not a problem for the reciver to handle
worth the price i paid 400 for mine