The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old January 19, 2001, 04:53 PM   #1
Godspeed

I bought some Sellor and Bellot slugs the other day and I noticed something odd about them. Through their transparent hulls I could see the slug, (which took up about 1") the powder, (which took up 1/2") and lots of empty space.

What's up with the empty space? It seems to me that slugs could be made much smaller (ala agula) and still retain full slug weight and powder charge. Am I missing something?

Godspeed
Old January 19, 2001, 05:44 PM   #2
Jeff, CA

There should be a wad in there between the slug & powder. Where were the powder and empty space relative to the slug? In their buckshot, S&B uses a dark-colored felt wad about 1/2" thick immediately below the shot. They may use the same wad material in their slugs; if they do, that might be what you're thinking is the powder.

If you're really curious, grab a pocketknife and take one apart.

Old January 19, 2001, 06:39 PM   #3
Godspeed

In my see-through buckshot loads I can see that the buckshot takes up about 2" of space. There is then a small wad, then powder. No room left to spare.

In the slugs there is powder to just above the level of the brass, then a vertical plastic post taking up an inch or inch and 1/2 then the 1" slug.

Is this plastic post a necessary part of the wad? Is it used for stabilzing? I noticed that most slugs (2.3/4") have 1"oz slugs. Agula's TINY slugs are .9oz. I assume they just skipped on the plastic post/wasted space. Anyone know if the affects accuracy?

Godspeed
Old January 19, 2001, 07:33 PM   #4
laissezfirearm

Slice one apart.

The wad may be attached to the slug (ala the Brenneke KOs), and be required for proper flight.

Or it may be a pusher-style wad that falls away upon firing which only serves to buffer the slug against deformation in the barrel.

I'm thinking of playing with the types of wads (e.g., slicing off segments on the attached models) to see which combo will lead to the shortest OAL while still maintaining accuracy and functioning. The Aguilas have cycling reliability problems in pumps at 1.5", mebbe 2" will do the trick.
Old January 20, 2001, 07:15 AM   #5
plateshooter

slugs

I reload my own slugs, using a yellow AA wad to take up the space. You would have a really short round without it. Without the cushioning effect of the wad, the recoil would be brutal. I only shoot the heavy Lyman slugs from a semi auto gas gun.