The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 3, 2009, 02:53 PM   #1
Citywaterman

Lee Pro Auto disk powder measure

I have a newbie question that I hope someone can help me with.
I’m using the Lee classic turret press with the Pro Auto disk powder measure. I’m loading mostly .38 special. I’m switching over to load .357mag. I’m using Hodgdon Titegroup powder. The starting load is 4.5 grains of Titegroup. Lee load data says to use the .40 auto disk with this powder (to get 4.4 grains). When measuring the powder drop, I’m consistently getting 4.0 grains. If I go to the next larger size auto disk, it’s too much. Does it sound like I’m making a mistake somewhere? I’m thinking I may need the adjustable charge bar or the double disk kit to get a more precise measure. I’ll probably figure it out tonight, but wanted to ask just incase someone else had this happen in the past and there’s an easy correction.
Thank you,
Citywaterman
Old August 3, 2009, 03:30 PM   #2
dsv424

I have the same set up as you and the best way to get more accurate would be to purchase the adjustable charge bar. It works great and you can use it in conjuntion with your disks in a double stack set-up. The other way would be to get a set of Lee dippers and individually load each case to the exact amount you want.
Another way would be to measure 4.0 and get a powder trickler to slowly add the last .4 grains. Everybody has their own special way to achieve that exact amount its your preference as to how you want do it. Hope this helps.
Old August 3, 2009, 03:52 PM   #3
Russ5924

Where are you getting your info from, by my chart with Titegroup for 4.4G use the #34 The #40 should be 4.7G. I found for me most times Autodisc is quite accurate. I thought they had changed something so looked it up on the Lee Website there info is came as mine.
Old August 3, 2009, 04:10 PM   #4
Citywaterman

Correction

I was incorrect when I said the .40 size auto disk. The lee load data calls for the .37 size auto disk with Titegroup powder to get 4.4 grains. I was at work and for some reason, .40 was stuck in my head. I'm glad that you noticed that. Thanks, Citywaterman
Old August 3, 2009, 04:55 PM   #5
CrustyFN

The Lee chart will almost always be low but will get you close. Use whatever disk will get you close to minimum charge and work up from there.

Rusty
Old August 3, 2009, 04:58 PM   #6
Russ5924

OK ! Now that we got that straight. What are you using to measure your powder. The Lee scale that came with the kit. Have you zeroed it and make sure your powder is centered in the pan as close as you can when measuring
Old August 3, 2009, 05:49 PM   #7
benzuncle

The Lee disks are quite accurate with certain types of powders. Win 231/HP-38 and Bullseye work very well with them. For charges that fall in between what the disks dispense, the charge bar is the way to go. A note though: the charge bar doesn't work well with small charges. I don't use it for anything under 4gr.
Old August 3, 2009, 07:16 PM   #8
Citywaterman

Adjustable charge bar

I appreciate all the advice. A good friend just gave me his adjustable charge bar. I will use the adjustable charge bar to get the load I need. He said it works great, but he uses his electronic RCBS powder measure. Thanks again everyone.
Citywaterman
Old August 3, 2009, 10:41 PM   #9
1SOW

The LEE powder scale is tricky to zero at first. You put the slider on zero AND make sure you can see the two white hash marks on the left end of the scale and one hash mark on the right end.. It's NOT all the way to the right.