The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old July 28, 2009, 09:40 PM   #1
stimp

Whats going on with these bullets?

Hello,
I've been reloading and castin for a while now. I have a lee production pot bottom pour and lee molds. I had cast anything for ~1month now and got some new molds in to do some more casting. I also use wheel weight alloy for my lead (which i just rendered a new batch of ingot also). Prior to my break from casting everything was dropping great, now on the other hand this is horrible. The bullets are dropping with what looks to be like sometimes some pits, others some "dirty looking" spots but smooth to touch, and sometimes near perfect (although few and far between at this time). I've tried useing the old an new molds to see if it was the molds. -> No luck as far as blaming it on the mold. I've tried a new melt of wheel weights thinking I maybe had some zinc..-> still same results with new lead and every weight was picked by hand to ensure lead. I've tried useing paraffin, beeswax, and sawdust to flux without changes. And the pot did have rust in it when I went back to use it so I tried using it at first and fluxing with bad results so I drained and cleaned everything to near perfect except for the drain hole which I cant reach. AND STILL THE SAME RESULTS. I can't narrow it down to something unless that little bit of the spout I was unable to clean. I don't know what is happening. I'll try adding a pic to show you. On the other side of the bullets they look pretty good. Seems to be only bad on one side. Maybe the dependent side of the mold for the angle I hold when pooring? Also, I have beent trying to cast with the new 9mm 6 cav and in addition to the above problems have been haveing wrinkled bullets from that mold.
Please throw in your two cents to help me out.
Any suggestion would be great.
Thanks
Old July 28, 2009, 10:17 PM   #2
DavidAGO

I had the same problem for awhile, about the same situation, about the same results. I had to take apart the pot and clean out the spout. There was just enough residue in the spout that the stream of molten lead was disrupted. when I cleaned it out properly and reassembled it, back to very nice pours.
to clean the spout, I had to use a propane torch to melt the last of the old lead out, then (after it cooled), I used magnification and a sharp pick to get the last little 'boogers' out. I then used a little valve grinding compound and the plunger to lap the plunger in.

I really like the Lee products, but it does take a little tweaking to make them work as well as they can, but once they are tweaked, they perform as well as any other brand.

DavidAGO
Old July 29, 2009, 09:39 AM   #3
stimp

Thank you I'll give it a shot. I can't believe how that little disruption in the pouring can cause the problems. When it pours out it does come out at a bit of an angle which is not normal (previously poured straight down).
Old July 30, 2009, 07:42 AM   #4
dardascastbullets

Hi Stimp,

The photo of your bullets is indicative of a corrupt alloy (albeit wheel weights). It is going to be extremely difficult to obtain perfect cast bullets with the metal that you have. There are two items that need attention. 1. Clean the interior surface of your pot thoroughly. Scrape the walls and the floor of the pot to eliminate any contamination that has occurred. 2. Flux the wheel weight metal (in a separate pot if you can) with saw dust and/or wax until the surface of the melt is extremely shiny.

Now, performing item #2 will not in and of itself make the metal certified to produce perfect bullets. My bet will be that your metal has impurities that will prevent perfect cast bullets from being produced. However, doing this won't hurt it. You may want to purchase a small amount of bonifide 'bullet alloy' from a metal supplier to keep as a control. The control can be used to run against an unknown alloy to keep your process in control.

I trust that this will help you.
Old July 30, 2009, 08:11 AM   #5
freakshow10mm

Definitely a dirty alloy. Clean your pot and make sure you flux thoroughly.
Old July 30, 2009, 12:33 PM   #6
snuffy

Stimp, are you smelting/melting those wheelweights in your lee pot? I'll bet you are, that's is exactly why you have dirty metal. AND a dirty pot. There's crud beyond imagination on wheel weights, fluxing won't get it all. Some of the dirt gets trapped under the lead, it's darn hard to get it all out. Cleaning the pot, then putting dirty lead back in it accomplishes nothing.

Do you have a thermometer? If not you'll need to get one. Especially for smelting WW. Even though you said you were carefully inspecting those WW, a zinc weight can slip through. Then if your pot gets over 787 degrees, the zinc will melt into your lead. Zinc contamination will make lead nearly impossible to cast good boolits with.

Now, get another simple steel/cast iron pot, and a heat source. Some use a coleman camping stove, either gas or propane. Re-melt your lead, flux the heck outa it, then use a dipper to cast some ingots. Don't try to get every last scrap of lead out of that pot. Leave it dirty. Only dip from the top of the lead, leave a layer on the bottom to harden. It helps the next time you smelt to have a layer there to melt first, speeds things up.

They're going to get their butts kicked over there this election. How come people can't spell and use words correctly?
Old July 30, 2009, 05:36 PM   #7
GP100man

dirty oily mess

the melt is dirty ,address that issue then clean (i boil mine for 10 min.)the new lee molds . manufacturing steps subjects the molds to various lubes & oils that are soaked up by aluminum.

clean up & keep the silver stream pourin!!

GP100man
Old July 31, 2009, 02:38 PM   #8
flashhole

Is there anyone who thinks he may have an improper alloy mix? You might try adding some tin for better flow into the cavity and see how that works.

Are you ready for civil war?
Old August 3, 2009, 07:01 PM   #9
doug66

I melt my WW's into ingots in a cast iron pot over a turkey fryer burner.

I only put "clean" ingots in my Lee pro pot.

This made the alloy quite a bit cleaner when casting bullets. Don't give up.
Old August 3, 2009, 08:52 PM   #10
IllinoisCoyoteHunter

my 2 cents

1.) I think your pot/alloy is dirty...a stated above.
2.) Check to make sure there is no oil residue in your cavities. Clean them well...extremely well...carb cleaner, hot soapy water, boiling them. etc ...remember that if you lube your sprue bushing or loacting pins, some may get in the cavities without you knowing.... this will cause wrinkles and ugly boolits
3.) Run your pot hot to get good fillout and make sure you preheat your molds. I typically cast everthing right around 750-800*. May take a couple casting to get the mold up to operating temp.
If you dont have a thermometer, you may want to invest in one. Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

~NRA LIFE MEMBER~
~NRA CERTIFIED INSTRUCTOR~