The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old June 27, 2005, 01:11 PM   #1

I want to reload, what do I need???

I have never reloaded before, and I want to start and don't know what to get.
Can someone please tell me what all I need to start reloading .380, 7.62x25, and .38 special? Prices, links, and advice will be helpful. Thanks

www.ruger-firearms.com
www.smith-wesson.com
Old June 27, 2005, 02:45 PM   #2
1tomcat

You will need powder scales to weight your powder charges
will need a press, I use the RCBS rockchucker but there are less expensive presses available
after you weight your powder charge it would speed it up if you had a powder measure ( do not use for maximum charges) but good for repeat charges of less than maximum weight
you will need some way to prime your cases, you can use a primer arm on your press or purchase a separate priming tool
plus cases, powder,primers and get ready for a good time and some accurate shooting
the cost of the above could vary considerable, if you purchase used you could save some money and my tools are probably 30 years old and still in good shape, takes them forever to wear out
almost forgot you will need a set of dies for each caliber you reload, if not mistaken these run about 28.00 a set from Lee
Old June 27, 2005, 02:48 PM   #3
1tomcat

Almost forgot you will need a good reloading manual, I use the Speer and lyman reloading guides, you might prefer others, I find these safe and reliable guides
Old June 27, 2005, 02:53 PM   #4
Dave R

Here's the "Volkswagen" setup.

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpag...eitemid=820810

In addition to this, you'll probably want a caliper to measure overall cartridge length and case length.

If you get into centerfire rifle rounds, you may want to add a case trimmer down the road. Rifle cases grow in length after several firings, and need to be trimmed back to correct length. Pistol round dont have that problem.

If you want the "Cadillac" setup, get the same kind of complete kit from RCBS. Runs about $350, more or less.
Old June 27, 2005, 04:04 PM   #5
1tomcat

7.62, if you really think you are going to be into reloading, the cadillac setup from rcbs really isnt that expensive as they tend to last a lifetime.
Old June 27, 2005, 07:14 PM   #6
bergie

Advice

First you need to do a search here for "new guy" or "getting started" or just start paging back looking at topics for threads for any calibers, equipment, or whatever that might interest you. Kind of joking here, but this topic has been covered so many times that the standard thread usually goes something like this:
1. a couple of manuals (lymans is usually recommended),
2."The ABC's of Reloading"
3. a list of must haves including scale and calipers
4. an arguement about brands of equipment

Okay, you gave us a couple of calibers to start with, (better than some do) how much do you shoot, and how much do you want to spend on getting set up?
Economy line(makes good quality ammo, costs less to get started)Lee Precision
"Better" lines RCBS , Redding , among others ,a little nicer made, heavier, better finish, more money, but do not necessarily mean you will make any better ammo than you can with Lee.
High $$ Dillon Oh, they start out with a low price but tempt you to move up to the top of the line whiz-bang automatic, load em faster than you can shoot em machines.

A couple of places to buy this stuff, and the manuals, Midway , Cabela's

If you don't get enough replies to keep you busy, and have read all of the back posts, do a google search, (I just did and got 926,000 in 0.10 seconds)

bergie
Maybe we need to talk to Johnny about getting a "getting started-general recommedations" sticky.
Old June 28, 2005, 08:54 AM   #7

I think the lee anniversary model will do for now. Where can I get dies? HOw much???

www.ruger-firearms.com
www.smith-wesson.com
Old June 28, 2005, 09:16 AM   #8
Dave R

You can get dies at the same place you get your starter kit. Or you can get them from local gun shops. Die sets run $25-$50.
Old June 29, 2005, 11:54 PM   #9
Smokey Joe

First things first

762--If you've NEVER reloaded, then the absolute first thing to get is The ABC's of Reloading by Dean Grinnell. It contains tons of how-to's, dos, and more importantly don'ts that you can read about rather than having to re-invent the wheel. Having finished that, you'll know exactly what you:

1. Have to have as the basics to get started reloading
2. Don't need until later

You'll also have a good grounding in the basic safety and procedures of reloading. Not that it's rocket science, you CAN do a better job making ammo than Remchesterby can, but when we fire a gun, we are dealing with some fiendishly hot gases, and high pressures, and it is a good thing if they are properly under control.

The ABC's can be had @ yr local gun shop, a gun show, on the I'net, or from the publisher, Krause Publications, www.krause.com

--Smokey Joe