The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old October 6, 1999, 10:19 PM   #1
bookkie

Harley, my Dad is curious as to what his shotgun is worth. It is a Winchester Model M59 12 gauge, 30 inch full choke barrel. SN # 22068. The receiver is made of aluminum, barrel is plastic over a thin metal liner. Total weight is 5 ½ lbs. On the left side of the receiver is engraved a 7 and a picture of a dog. On the right side is engraved 2 ducks and some toulees (sp). Barrel has a few rub marks like on the end of the barrel and where it rested on the gun stand. Overall the barrel has about 90-95% of original blueing. The receiver is in about 98% condition. The stock is in the worse shape as a lot of the original varnish has rubbed off and I would estimate it at about 60%. Although there are no real scratches or dings in the wood. Bore and all mechanics are in excellent shape.

Can you give me a general idea as to it's worth, or where I can go to find out.

Thanks and I enjoy reading some of the posts.

------------------
Richard

The debate is not about guns,
but rather who has the ultimate power to rule,
the People or Government.
RKBA!
Old October 6, 1999, 10:52 PM   #2
Jeff OTMG

If you had the barrel with all 3 choke tubes there is a premium. The 'plastic' on the barrel in actually fiberglass. If the fiberglass is separating on the muzzle or the receiver is cracked the value drops fast. They only made about 82,000 of these between 1960 and 1965. In 95% I show a retail price of $350. If we average the stock in it would drop to about $225. It the stock finish can be restored it might be worth it. I do not know what the original process was. Probably shouldn't shoot it too much.
Old November 27, 2004, 03:29 PM   #3
lokeedone

Winchester M59 12 gauge

I have this same shotgun my father gave to me years ago, and I DO use it for hunting. I mostly hunt pheasants and rabbits. But I never realized the shotgun was that old. It's in pretty good condition, the color is original, just on the forward wooden guard is a little wore, but thats about it, its all original. This weapon has never failed me except the first time I went pheasant hunting and I was using short brass which causes it to jam up quickly since it's an automatic. I love this weapon and wouldn't think of getting rid of it since my father gave it to me, but i'll probably get a new one sometime down the road.