The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old November 11, 2002, 02:07 AM   #1
HKguy9

AAAK!!!! Check out this ankle rig

Old November 11, 2002, 05:51 AM   #2
kobun

That must be a holster made for arming someone else?
Like, a carry gun to give to an unarmed "partner".
Guess it must be... Eighter bend your leg up backwards (if your "partner" is behind you) or take a high kick (hopefully without hitting him) if he/she is in front of you.

Anybody else know?

K.
Old November 11, 2002, 10:21 AM   #3
Betty

I think that's called the "shoot-your-own-nutz-off" rig.

Old November 11, 2002, 10:42 AM   #4
Cal4D4

Is that DA auto a dec*cker?
Old November 11, 2002, 11:38 AM   #5
Col. Mustard

How about...

...the thing's on upside down? At the very least, the spare magazine is going to slide out in the first couple of steps. With the velcro straps it looks like it could be (should be) turned the other way.
Old November 11, 2002, 12:08 PM   #6
Kentucky Rifle

Betty....

You made me spill my lunch on my pants!!
BWAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHA...hic, hic, hic.. Oh ####--

KR
Old November 11, 2002, 12:58 PM   #7
mjustice

At the very least, that *thing* has to be on upside down, and probably on the wrong foot too.

When the person wearing that thigamajig kills himself trying to clear the holster, I'll gladly come by and pick up the P228/M11.

Yes, Cal4D4, I would imagine that it does have a decocker. DAO-Sigs are fairly rare.

MJ
Old November 11, 2002, 12:59 PM   #8
HKguy9

Quote:
Yes, Cal4D4, I would imagine that it does have a decocker. DAO-Sigs are fairly rare.
Umm....I think there was a pun intended in there
Old November 11, 2002, 01:34 PM   #9
Betty

The Eagle Industries' ankle holster has the caption:

"The undercover ankle holster is designed so the weapon can be carried handle down, butt to the rear. The holster is worn on the inside of the leg between the knee and ankle. The holster's positioning gives you faster access to the weapon since the trouser leg does not have to be pulled up. Elastic straps with hook and loop fasteners secure the holster so that it will not slip down against your ankle. Closed cell foam padding is used between your leg and the weapon. The weapon is secured with both snap and Mil. Spec. hook and loop closure. Elastic loops are sewn on the holster for carrying extra ammunition. Cool Max has been added for coolness & comfort."

No, I think it makes you draw slower, seeing how you've got to turn your wrist around in an unnatural angle to grab the gun. Or twist your leg around.
Old November 11, 2002, 01:51 PM   #10
mjustice

Quote:
Umm....I think there was a pun intended in there
I just re-read that... NOOOOOOW I get it. Sorry.

MJ
Old November 11, 2002, 02:36 PM   #11
Poodleshooter

I guess soccer and dancing are quite out of the question. Not to mention walking....
Old November 11, 2002, 02:50 PM   #12
Correia

That has got to be the single stupidest holster I have ever seen.

All the disadvantages of Thunderwear only SLOWER.
Old November 11, 2002, 06:21 PM   #13
Scott Evans
Staff Alumnus

The concept is for a faster draw. With the holster attached to the ankle, on the inside of the off side leg, you lift the leg (heal up to a point just above the other knee) as the hand moves towards the ankle. This shortens the distance one must travel to reach the weapon. Also, pulling up the trouser leg is not necessary. It does, however; require that the user be able to balance on one foot. The muzzle at the time of draw is NOT pointing at you. Other instances where this rig may be an advantage over other ankle rigs are drawing from a sitting position. I think the concept is sound for the right user but I don’t like the execution of the holster pictured above (just my preference). I have made this type of rig for a few back in the days when I had time for custom work and have been impressed with the speed the owners have been able to achieve compared to the traditional muzzle down style.

MOLON LABE !

I’m a G-CODE holster fan !
www.range5.com
Old November 11, 2002, 10:08 PM   #14
Coronach

And if your rig unsnaps while running...

I mean, at least other ankle rigs have gravity assisting in retention, assuming the wearer is in the standard sole-of-foot downward attitude...

Mike

"True pacifism is the finest form of manliness. But if a man comes up to you and cuts your hand off, you don't just offer him the other one. Not if you want to go on playing the piano, you don't." -Sam Peckinpah

"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." -Robert Heinlein
Old November 11, 2002, 11:14 PM   #15
David Park

Quote:
Other instances where this rig may be an advantage over other ankle rigs are drawing from a sitting position.
Exactly. This is the "keyboard kommando" ankle rig. It might also be appropriate if you are ensconced behind the counter at a gun shop.

Old November 12, 2002, 01:22 PM   #16
Iggy

Oh boy!!

I knew there was a reason I saved all of my polyester, bell bottomed pants.. Where do I get one of those ?????

NOT!!!!

Old November 12, 2002, 05:45 PM   #17
Bogie

Quote:
No, I think it makes you draw slower, seeing how you've got to turn your wrist around in an unnatural angle to grab the gun. Or twist your leg around.
Does it work with Homeboy Nitesites?

And making the world's greatest bottle openers!