The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old August 24, 2022, 03:31 PM   #1
308Loader

Raptor 30-06 banana

I recently picked up a Raptor 30-06 from a flea market, and it is in a cartoon like state. the barrel is split like a banana! The seller had no information on its previous owner, bought in a storage locker auction.

What in the world would cause this kind of catastrophic failure? the barrel is split from the muzzle to the front of the chamber. Action bolt and trigger appear to be in good shape.

photos on Flickr during WD40 bath all surface rust came right off
https://www.flickr.com/photos/196367...posted-public/

Last edited by 308Loader; August 24, 2022 at 03:37 PM.
Old August 24, 2022, 03:38 PM   #2
sako2

I have pictures of 1 split like that. Gunsmith said the guy told him he got mud in the barrel while hunting and thought he could shoot it out.
Old August 24, 2022, 04:21 PM   #3
Scorch

With the pitting on that receiver, I would say it got neglected a bit. I've seen rifles open up because of reloads using the wrong or too much powder, shooting an obstruction out of the bore, rust in the bore, shooting the rifle under water, etc. If you can imagine it, it's been done.
Old August 24, 2022, 06:21 PM   #4
308Loader

Project gun or permeant wall art? Could I ever trust this action and bolt if re-barreled and a new stock?
Old August 25, 2022, 12:35 AM   #5
44 AMP
Staff

Even severe surface rust or pitting does not automatically ruin the action. Though it can if bad enough and in vital areas.
HOWEVER, what ever happened to blow the barrel could have overstressed the action and caused the bolt lugs to "set back" in their recesses, and that, if extreme would make it wall art.

You can have the action checked by a competent shop for cracks, setback and any other damage, have it x-rayed, magafluxed or whatever it is they do nowdays, to see if its serviceable, but the cost of having that done might be economically prohibitive. I don't know, sorry.
Old August 25, 2022, 08:55 PM   #6
taylorce1

I'd hang it on the wall.
Old August 27, 2022, 02:41 PM   #7
Paul B.

Barrel split like a banana? Most likely a barrel obstruction although there could be other possibilities. Receiver may ot not be OK. Probably what I'd look at first would be the recesses for the locking lugs for setback. If they're OK then the receiver should be just fine.
Paul B.
Old August 27, 2022, 09:16 PM   #8
taylorce1

I didn't say much in my first post, but Raptors had a reputation for being junk from the start. Raptor Arms failed quickly and miserably. A simple google search is all you need to realize it isn't worth resurrection.
Old August 28, 2022, 01:24 PM   #9
Geezerbiker

It would make an interesting .45 ACP rifle and you wouldn't have to worry about the receiver failing...

Tony