The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old July 23, 2022, 11:25 AM   #1
FunGramps

Bond Arms derringer...Do you own one?

I'm interested in a mouse gun for big, close-up mice that will be easier to conceal and carry more comfortably than my Glock 19. The Bond Arms in .45 ACP has my attention and seems to be a well-made gun. I'm not concerned with the aftereffects of recoil if the situation demands that I use it.

Does anyone here have one? I'd like to hear your review.
Old July 23, 2022, 11:32 AM   #2
mk70ss

I would rather carry a gun like the SA Hellcat with 12 rounds of 9mm on tap. They are almost the same size and weight.
Old July 23, 2022, 11:47 AM   #3
Pahoo

Only and respectfully; JMHO

Quote:
Does anyone here have one? I'd like to hear your review.
I have, in more than one caliber. Per previous reply, there are better choices and cost less. I see now that there is a new, less expensive Bonds, available. I "try" never to tell a man, what to do with his spouse and money. ...

Be Safe !!!
Old July 23, 2022, 02:28 PM   #4
Bill DeShivs

The Keltec PF9 is thinner, maybe smaller, is double action, inexpensive, and weighs about a third of what the Bond derringer weighs.

I understand the attraction of the derringer, but there are MANY guns more practical for carry.

The Keltec P32 or P3AT will drop in a pocket, and you won't even know it's there. 8 shots of .32 or 7 shots of .380.
Old July 23, 2022, 04:04 PM   #5
Electrod47

I bought the "Roughneck" in .357 here in MS for 250.00 and quickly bought the 45/410 barrel for it for another 125.00.
I reload for all those shotgun and bullet, so I can tailor my loads to be effective without a lot "Blood and Thunder".
Its a novelty item, that can be, in a pinch, counted on to deliver bad news to whatever,
It's fun, Its neat and handy. BUT, its not a primary defense weapon by any stretch of the imagination. And yeah, I'v seen the old boy on Youtube strapped and quick draw demonstrating his prowess with the Bond. Frankly. he just looks foolish.
Old July 30, 2022, 11:52 PM   #6
jstert

i have a bunch of b.a. derringers with assorted barrels. the handguns are all original gen2, my one cheaper, less-finished rowdy/roughneck was a clunker. they are fun plinkers. if i want a pocket ccw for the suburbs a keltec p32 is my choice. if i’m walking in the woods and my likely threat is a feral dog or such i bring a b.a. derringer with trigger guard removed in gloved hand weather. 38sp and 9mm are the stoutest rounds that i enjoy out of a b.a.
Old August 2, 2022, 11:08 PM   #7
Gdawgs

I don't have a Bond Arms, but I do have an American Derringer M-1 in 45 ACP. I took it to the range once, and that was probably the last time I'll take it. It's downright painful to shoot(and I was using some very light handloads), and I can't hit anything with it.
Like others mentioned, it's a novelty. With all the new micro 9s on the market now, I feel there are much better choices.
Old August 3, 2022, 08:40 PM   #8
The Happy kaboomer

Only 2 shots and too heavy......OK for a novelty play gun but that's about it...For defense small automatics or revolvers makes much more sense.
Old August 4, 2022, 04:12 PM   #9
Ricklin

I will join the chorus, there are far better choices for concealed carry. We must be proficient with what we carry.
Range time with a "powerful" derringer? No thanks.
Old August 4, 2022, 08:43 PM   #10
Carmady

Well
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Derringer.jpg (81.7 KB, 90 views)
Old August 4, 2022, 10:45 PM   #11
kenny53

I think derringers where a useful tools in the 1870's. I had one 30 years ago in 38 special.
It wasn't that much fun to shoot so I talked some guy at a gun show to buy it. I believe there are so many other guns that could fill a pocket carry better then derringer.
Old August 5, 2022, 09:47 AM   #12
TailGator

I thought I wanted a derringer for a fun gun, not for carry because of the low capacity. Had a fellow let me shoot one in .410 at a range. Changed my mind. Not fun even for a couple of shots.
Old August 5, 2022, 02:17 PM   #13
Cosmodragoon

As others have said, modern derringers feel like pure novelty. Could they work in a defensive encounter? Yes, but nowhere near as well as any number of other small carry guns that offer many more rounds in seamless succession.
Old August 6, 2022, 06:14 PM   #14
Siggy-06

Was thinking about buying one in .410 just for kicks. They actually used to produce them with .44 mag barrels for a short time.
Old August 19, 2022, 01:36 PM   #15
Prof Young

Had one in 45/410 . . .

I had one in 45/410. It was fun to shoot, but a touch hard on the hand. Mine did not consistently shoot both barrels. I had a lot of fail to fire on the bottom barrel. Bond Arms suggested it was the ammo when I called them. Hmmmmmm . . . .

Life is good.
Prof Young