The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Closed Thread

Old April 30, 2018, 10:28 AM   #1
David Ozlo

Guns shipped to FFL who now won't respond to calls.

I had 2 guns shipped from CDNN to a local FFL. He signed for the guns and has them, but he won't pick-up the phone when I call. It's been 6 days this guy hasn't called or emailed me.
So what do I do now CDNN offered no help,contact local police ? ATF ?
Old April 30, 2018, 10:42 AM   #2
lamarw

You said CDNN offered to help, and why not see what they can do prior to contacting the police. Maybe there is a personal issue like a death in the family or medical issues.

Go pay him a visit.

If the above does not work, I would contact the local police and see what they advise.

How did you choose this FFL?
Old April 30, 2018, 10:42 AM   #3
Pahoo

Time to pay him a visit

Quote:
I had 2 guns shipped from CDNN to a local FFL.
This may be a dump question but if he's your local FFL, why not pay him a visit? My primary FFL is a very busy guy and I no longer bother to phone him. I just pick a day that I drop the wife off at the mall and go to his store. ....

Be Safe !!!
Old April 30, 2018, 10:54 AM   #4
44 AMP
Staff

Go to his store. You don't know what's going on, all you know is he's not responding to your calls. Maybe he's really busy, maybe he's being a jerk, maybe he's in the hospital getting emergency bypass surgery. You don't know..

You CAN contact the police, but I doubt they will be any help. At this point, its not a police matter. It may never be a police matter. You have a (potential) dispute with a business. This isn't a police matter, its a court matter.

Small claims court, I would think. But start by going to your local BEtter BUsiness Bureau.
Old April 30, 2018, 01:59 PM   #5
turkeestalker

A visit is the answer.

The fella that does my transfers for me owns a pawn shop and is constantly accepting deliveries of firearms.
He complains constantly that so many shippers, say from GB sellers and such, don't bother to indicate who the firearm is for.
He just receives something with no clue as to why.
I wouldn't expect that from CDNN, but who knows.

Just asking, did the local FFL know to expect two firearms for you or was who they were intended for indicated by CDNN?
Sorry if it's a stupid question.
Old April 30, 2018, 03:30 PM   #6
FrankenMauser

If it's a kitchen table FFL, follow through with whatever CDNN offered as assistance.
If it is a brick and mortar store, pay them a visit.

I had a dealer hold half a dozen AR lowers for ransom, after they were in his possession, a few years back. (He "changed his mind" from the agreed upon $40 transfer to triple digits.)
I called Tennessee Arms Company, the company that had shipped them, informed them of the situation, asked if they might be able to help, and then gave them time to work out any possible solution from their end.
I don't know what went on between TAC and the FFL, but I later got a phone call from a person very much in agreement with me that the FFL was a dirt bag that the company now hated as well.

TAC shipped replacements to an FFL across town, and told me that they would blacklist the dirt bag FFL and "pursue the situation" from their side to get their lowers or a refund.
They took control of the situation for me, just to ensure that I was a happy customer - even though it wasn't their fault!

Unfortunately, I later had to go through a very similar situation with an FFL that shipped an AR lower without asking me which local FFL I wanted to use. He just picked the only "gun store" hit in his Google search, and sent it to the dirt bag FFL. ...But that's another story.
Old April 30, 2018, 03:55 PM   #7
Mal H
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Ozlo
CDNN offered no help
I think a few here read that as "CDNN offered to help".
Old April 30, 2018, 05:11 PM   #8
DukeConnor

I had a similar situation with my guy. I was getting a little impatient. Hefinally called me. His wife took ill and passed away.
Old May 1, 2018, 07:56 AM   #9
Sure Shot Mc Gee

First thing 3rd party sources would ask. Have you attempted or have you made personal contact with the FFL holder? That's something you have to do in a timely manor.

Perhaps contact the gun seller and ask for a copy of his shipping receipt (for Tracking purposes and the weapons descriptions w/ (serial #s) Tell the gun seller he may have to place a insurance claim in your behalf?
Being frank: You need to show some initiative & foot work that you have personally tried to resolve your missing firearms. There after inform your local police and ask for their assistance. The FFL holder. He probably hasn't research the (penalty) aspect his license. Lots of documenting & responsibility comes with having a FFL.
I wish you Good luck David Ozlo.
Old May 1, 2018, 08:00 AM   #10
buck460XVR

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankenMauser View Post
^^^yep.

If it's a kitchen table FFL, keep trying. He could be Turkey hunting this week. Could be ill or have a illness death in the family. Might just be doing transfers is not that high on his priority list. I highly doubt he's tryin' to make off with your guns. While it can be frustrating to have to wait, it sometimes happens when having guns shipped to an FFL. Kinda the price one pays sometimes for a better price. I know the FFLs personally that I deal with, so I don't have suspicions or doubts.
Old May 1, 2018, 08:14 AM   #11
243winxb

Have dealers local police department do a "Well Check". Tell them why.

He may have dropped dead?
Old May 1, 2018, 09:37 AM   #12
Kingcreek

6 days? Could be a lot of things in his life. Politely inquire or knock on the door.
I was an executor for an estate of a home based FFL that went to bed and never woke up. Had all kinds of deals in the works, buying, selling, firearms in transit, sold but not yet shipped, dropped off for repair, you name it. It took weeks to sort it all out.
Old May 1, 2018, 07:33 PM   #13
dogtown tom

Quote:
David Ozlo I had 2 guns shipped from CDNN to a local FFL. He signed for the guns and has them, but he won't pick-up the phone when I call. It's been 6 days this guy hasn't called or emailed me.
Did you contact that FFL before you bought the gun? If not why?
CDNN has hundreds if not thousands of dealers on ther list....that just means they've shipped to him before.

Quote:
So what do I do now CDNN offered no help, contact local police ? ATF ?
CDNN didn't choose that dealer, you did.
ATF isn't going to do anything because that not their responsibility.
Local PD will rightfully say its a civil matter.

Quote:
Sure Shot Mc Gee .... The FFL holder. He probably hasn't research the (penalty) aspect his license. Lots of documenting & responsibility comes with having a FFL.
Tell me more about "the penalty aspect" of an FFL. I've only had mine for just under ten years.

Plano, Texas...........the Gun Nut Capitol of Gun Culture, USA https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pELwCqz2JfE
Old May 2, 2018, 01:44 PM   #14
Don P

Seems a few have made an honest mistake with poop reading comprehension.
OP's statement,
Quote:
CDNN offered no help
Quote:
You said CDNN offered to help,
?????

Quote:
follow through with whatever CDNN offered as assistance.
???
As you are, I once was, As I am, You will be.
Old May 2, 2018, 03:27 PM   #15
FrankenMauser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don P
Seems a few have made an honest mistake with poop reading comprehension.
OP's statement,
You're late to the party, and seemingly lacking the aforementioned, yourself.

If you're going to pick nits and be rude in attempting to shame people for minor mistakes, at least read the whole thread first...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mal H
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Ozlo
CDNN offered no help
I think a few here read that as "CDNN offered to help".
Old May 2, 2018, 03:51 PM   #16
Don P

So sensitive we are. Thin skin I suppose. It's happened to me more than once here and I just let it roll on by. No shame was intended
As you are, I once was, As I am, You will be.
Old May 3, 2018, 01:32 PM   #17
T. O'Heir

Six days isn't a really long time. You still need to visit the guy if he has place to visit.
Question is why did CDNN ship to that particular guy? And did you make any prior arrangements with him?
"...This isn't a police matter..." Yet.
Old May 3, 2018, 02:22 PM   #18
FITASC

Quote:
If it's a kitchen table FFL, follow through with whatever CDNN offered as assistance.
Even if he's a kitchen-table FFL, pay him a visit
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old May 3, 2018, 03:55 PM   #19
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Even if he's a "kitchen table" FFL, he has to have some standard business hours. That's a BATFE requirement, because they are entitled to stop in unannounced during normal business hours. The normal business hours might only be an hour or two on a Sundaty afternoon, but they have to be regular.

The problem is, if he doesn't respond to contacts, how can you find out what his business hours are?
Old May 3, 2018, 06:45 PM   #20
dogtown tom

Quote:
Aguila Blanca Even if he's a "kitchen table" FFL, he has to have some standard business hours. That's a BATFE requirement, because they are entitled to stop in unannounced during normal business hours. The normal business hours might only be an hour or two on a Sundaty afternoon, but they have to be regular.
There is no ATF regulation that requires a licensee to have standard business hours, ever be open to the public or keep regular business hours. The sole purpose of the "business hours" on the FFL application is to allow ATF to conduct a compliance inspection at a day/time convenient to the licensee. Even then, the licensee can change those hours without notifying ATF.

Plano, Texas...........the Gun Nut Capitol of Gun Culture, USA https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pELwCqz2JfE
Old May 4, 2018, 09:34 AM   #21
Mal H
Staff

The ball is squarely in David Ozlo's court. He has received all the advice he needs to take some sort of action, and a lot of it is redundant.

Since he hasn't returned to respond to any posts since posting his original post, I will go ahead and close this. If he wants it re-opened to add any new information, he can PM me or any of the General Discussion moderators.
Closed Thread