The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old July 26, 2014, 01:40 AM   #1
Jeff22

Carrying concealed means "concealed"

Yesterday I was returning home from a trip out west with my Dad.

We were fueling up in Dakota, Minnesota and there was some goof walking around wearing a blue t-shirt that said "keep calm & carry guns" and the bottom of his holster was sticking out below his shirt. Couldn't for sure tell what kind of gun or holster combination he was employing but it wasn't well concealed.

Being an attention whore is always tactically stupid. And such behavior is offensive to more responsible people. Carrying concealed means "concealed".
Old July 26, 2014, 01:44 AM   #2
JimmyR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff22
Yesterday I was returning home from a trip out west with my Dad.

We were fueling up in Dakota, Minnesota and there was some goof walking around wearing a blue t-shirt that said "keep calm & carry guns" and the bottom of his holster was sticking out below his shirt. Couldn't for sure tell what kind of gun or holster combination he was employing but it wasn't well concealed.

Being an attention whore is always tactically stupid. And such behavior is offensive to more responsible people. Carrying concealed means "concealed".
I never really thought shirts like that were smart to wear while carrying. One of my biggest layers of concealment is nonchalance- if I don't bring attention to myself, I don't bring attention to my sidearm. I will open carry sometimes (approx 30% of the time, more or less) and try to keep the same dogma of attracting as little attention as possible.
Originally Posted by 45Gunner View Post
JimmyR nailed it.
Old July 26, 2014, 07:23 AM   #3
9ballbilly

Agree with the OP. The combination of logo shirt and partly exposed holster is IMHO an invitation to trouble.
Others might see it as a deterrent, but I see no advantage in giving away the element of surprise if something terrible happens.
YMMV
Old July 26, 2014, 07:33 AM   #4
zxcvbob

How is "element of surprise" of any value when you are on defense?

This sounds like a failure of fashion rather than tactics.
Old July 26, 2014, 07:59 AM   #5
4thPoint

The "element of surprise" is the theory that after a bad guy has initiated a confrontation and has you at gunpoint, you'll be able to draw from concealment, aim, and make solid hits faster than he can twitch his finger.
Old July 26, 2014, 08:04 AM   #6
Auto5

Watch a few videos of armed citizens fighting back. When the attackers are surprised, they often flee, even though they may outnumber the intended victims. I don't want to open up the whole "open vs concealed" debate, but I seem to recall one gunwriter referring to firearm logo and psuedo-tactical attire as "shoot me first" clothing. Among criminals, a stolen gun is a valuable prize and this kind of sartorial display can even make the wearer a target.
Old July 26, 2014, 03:25 PM   #7
45Gunner

I never was a proponent of anything that drew attention to being armed, certainly not a fan of open carry. And not to go off in a different direction, I am not one that likes or uses stickers on front doors or car windows that say, "Protected by ............" (Insert your favorite gun on the blank line.) Why make yourself a target of a gun thief or someone that wants to disarm the opposition?

My castle has two signs on it: "Protected by ABC Security video surveillance" and "Beware of Dog." As proud as I am to be a NRA Life Member, I don't display that sticker to the outside world, not for any political reason, but I just don't want to announce to anyone casing the neighborhood that I have guns inside.

And coming back to the original issue, it's all the same reasons not to let the world you have a gun on your person.
NRA Life Member
Old July 26, 2014, 06:45 PM   #8
4thPoint

Those signs only mean that anyone will be prepared to kill a dog or disable a security system; wouldn't ""having the element of surprise"" by not advertising be more effective?
Or...
... perhaps we do realize the value of deterrence?

I'm an out of shape, overweight, prize of a target; a lumbering merchantman in a world of pirates sailing corsairs. I'd rather they be deterred than to have to fight my way out of a situation once it has begun, but everyone is free to make their own decisions.
Old July 26, 2014, 08:11 PM   #9
40-82

Some people are going to wear message t-shirts. I wouldn't, but it's really their business. If they're going to wear one, the one I saw that I liked the best had the human silhouette shape and the scoring rings of the old PPC target. That way if a bad guyed plugged someone wearing that style shirt, he could have the pleasure of scoring how he did--seems a small enough courtesy in a harsh world.

For me the scoring ring shirt might actually have some small deterrent value. I'd be afraid that I might not be good enough to score a quick X.
Old July 26, 2014, 10:20 PM   #10
Jimboh247

I am still waiting on my CHL to be processed, so I open carry. The ONLY reason I do is because I don't want to go unarmed.

I really feel uncomfortable open carrying because everyone looks at you like you're a criminal. I certainly do not like to advertise I'm armed, but i'm not going to be concerned if I accidentally "print".

I don't have any gun related apparrel, so advertising I have a gun won't happen.
Old July 26, 2014, 11:55 PM   #11
Glockstar .40

Quote:
How does me wearing a Glock shirt or a keep calm and carry shirt offensive?

I have a few shirts from various firearm manufacturers and I sometimes wear them outside my house. I dont do it to be an "attention whore" as you put it. I wear them because I like the shirt\hat. What am I supposed to only wear them as jammies??

Why are people only attention whores if they wear gun paraphernalia? What about someone wearing a Harley Davidson shirt? Are they attention whores also? Or maybe theyre just passionate about Harleys? Or maybe their Yamaha shirt was just dirty.

Here's some advice. Take a chill pill. Him wearing a shirt doesnt hurt the 2nd amendment any.
I dont understand gun owners sometimes. We want public opinion on our side but when someone wears a shirt about a gun we freak out. Its not offensive to promote conceal carry. Tactically stupid? Perhaps, but I havent been shot yet while wearing mine.
Old July 27, 2014, 07:05 AM   #12
Jim567

The t shirts don't bother me at all.
My first thought on seeing a guy getting out of a car with one is --
I wonder if his car will be broken into?
Same with pro gun stickers on a vehicle.
That's all.
Old July 27, 2014, 11:48 AM   #13
skoro

Quote:
Being an attention whore is always tactically stupid. And such behavior is offensive to more responsible people. Carrying concealed means "concealed"
The unfortunate reality is that certain percentage of morons will qualify for and be granted concealed carry permits.
Old July 27, 2014, 12:01 PM   #14
Model12Win

I avoid wearing any gun related clothing in general, and especially avoid wearing things like camo tacti-trousers and stuff like that.

Man this guy semed to have some nerve, I get paranoid if my J-frame makes a little bump on my waist.
Old July 27, 2014, 01:03 PM   #15
captneil19

carrying concealed

I live in ms.,you guys would freak out if you lived here. FIRST of all there is a open carry law,and of course the concealed carry.If u choose to carry concealed the weapon does not have to be completely covered,ask any deputy.The open carry, u go in the feed store ,grocery,u name it there will be folks carrying six guns in their hip legally.The only place u cannot carry is the post office,hospital,school zone pick up your child,federal bldg.,court house.It looks like u took a step back into time.When they were writing up the ground rules for concealed ,this came up,if u took a piece of twine and put it through the trigger guard an held it up u were concealing that part of that weapon, so in essence the weapon was concealed.Well that was brought into the open carry law to,because they agreed it was concealed with the twine.So it was agreed that if could be seen that it was a gun ,weapon then a hoster could be used.And they voted in open carry. But yes ms. Rules are different.
Old July 27, 2014, 02:05 PM   #16
Jo6pak

OMG, you may have seen a gun...we'll get you into therapy right away

So the guy was driving and he stops for fuel and forgets to check his concealment. Oops.
Oh, and he also is wearing a T-shirt with a catchy phrase on it.

Big deal. I've seen people with there guns showing. Usually I make a point to kindly inform them. All have been totally amiable and thanks me for telling them.

Maybe you've lived in Madison too long
Old July 27, 2014, 02:42 PM   #17
armabill

No comment.
Old July 27, 2014, 05:00 PM   #18
zxcvbob

Quote:
Being an attention whore is always tactically stupid. And such behavior is offensive to more responsible people. Carrying concealed means "concealed". [emphasis added]
I just noticed this. Who exactly are these "more responsible people" that are offended? Do you mean you? If so, do you speak for all responsible people, or just yourself? (I don't remember voting for a spokesman, but maybe I didn't make the cut.)
Old July 28, 2014, 12:10 AM   #19
cheezhed

I saw this posting yesterday and found it amusing as I purchased the very same shirt earlier. I liked the shirt and I will wear it. If anyone can prove that
someone was shot because of their garb please site an example. I see it as no different than wearing a cross or carrying a bible, you might offend someone but I don't care. I also wear a NRA hat every once and awhile and have engaged people in conversations about gun control and other civil liberties.
I am effective in presenting both the facts and my point of view in a civil manner and this is the best way for a carrier to conduct themselves in public.
Old July 28, 2014, 07:10 PM   #20
Mobuck

Open carry is legal in my state of residence. I consider "concealed" to be obscured from casual notice. I don't wear clothing that calls attention to myself nor do I have tattoos or purple hair. If anyone pays real close attention, they'll know I'm carrying. If some bad guy knows I'm armed, he has to make a choice as to whether he wants a piece of what I have to deal.
Old July 29, 2014, 10:02 AM   #21
DannyB1954

I thought I was doing a good job at keeping covered with my Ruger SR9c until my neighbor told me that he could tell I was armed by looking at me from behind. Probably 75% of concealed weapons can be seen if you know what to look for. Lately I have been carrying a Ruger SP101. The rounded handle from the Hogue grip helps. Standing in front of a mirror is not the same as moving in real life.
I don't wear advertizement shirts. If you ever are in a situation where you use your firearm, The bad guy or their relative might take you to civil court and use your shirt to strip you of all your possessions. They would say you were just itching for a chance to blast someone whether or not they really needed it. A jury may agree with them. Without the shirt, they wouldn't have much of a case. "Kill them all and let God sort them out" is especially not a good shirt to wear.

Last edited by DannyB1954; July 29, 2014 at 10:33 AM.
Old July 29, 2014, 10:33 AM   #22
MtnCreek

Quote:
I also wear a NRA hat every once and awhile
If that's the black hat w/ gold lettering, I'm offended. That is the ugliest hat I own. I guess being offended is fashionable now.
Old July 29, 2014, 10:57 AM   #23
Spats McGee
Staff

In AR, OC is currently "in flux," for lack of a better description. That said, I don't OC, except on very rare occasions (out on someone's farm, for example). I do wear my NRA hat from time to time, and I do own one of those "Keep Calm and Carry Guns" t-shirts. I just got it a couple of weeks ago, so I haven't worn it in public. Truth be told, the only public place I do plan to wear it is to the gun show.
Old July 29, 2014, 11:37 AM   #24
spacemanspiff

I recently bought a shoulder holster, to use when I just need to go pick up my wife or drop her and the kids off, no need for me to get out of the vehicle so I'd rather not change out of my shorts into pants. And since my apartment has no real exposure to any of my neighbors unless they are in their yards, I don't need any concealing garments.
Two weeks ago, the youngest of my stepkids, 8 yrs old, asked me 'Why do you carry your gun everywhere?' I gave the usual answer "Because I want to protect those whom I love". I waited a day or two to ask her if my carrying bothered her, and it turns out it does. Her reason: "Someone might hurt you because they can see your gun."

Not a lot of 8 yr olds can correctly arrive at that possible outcome. Sure, they can predict what will happen if they deliberately disobey, or misbehave, but this is different. And for her, I promised not to carry openly.
Old July 30, 2014, 01:53 AM   #25
JimmyR

When I read the OP, despite the inflamatory language, I think the biggest part I contend with is the idea of advertising gun possession while carrying concealed appears to be a contradiction. If the purpose of concealing a weapon is to appear as though you don't have a weapon, why wear a shirt that works against that purpose?
Originally Posted by 45Gunner View Post
JimmyR nailed it.