The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old December 13, 2013, 11:52 PM   #1
waltherp88

M1 Garand Sights

I have a CMP refurbished Garand with standard sights, and,I shoot the local club matches and was wondering about switching to better, more precise sights. I was looking at Fulton Armory for the rear sight and found many choices. For the front sight I wanted either a National Match Blade or if anyone can suggest or has used a cross hair type, your thoughts please. Any help in choosing sights would be greatly appreciated.
Old December 14, 2013, 01:44 AM   #2
Bart B.

You'll have to use standard sights for NRA and CMP matches; aperture rear and blade front sight. No cross hair or aperture front sights allowed. Front sight blades can vary in width.

Get a well assembled National Match rear sight with 1/2 MOA adjustments and a standard front sight. Then file down the front sight sides evenly so it appears as wide as a 600 yard target; it'll need to be about .055" wide.

Last edited by Bart B.; December 14, 2013 at 01:56 AM.
Old December 14, 2013, 04:21 PM   #3
BobCat45

There is a reduced aperture rear sight that is legal for CMP matches. I use it and it is very good. Top right on http://neergaard.org/shootingsight/products.html.

I've not tried the rectangular cat eye aperture (top left on that page) but it claims to be both NRA and CMP legal.

Enjoy your Garand!
Old December 15, 2013, 12:45 AM   #4
waltherp88

garand sights

At Neergaard.org I found two M1 Garand rear sights with an aperture of 0.052 and 0.047 which one would you choose and why?

p.s. Thank you for the reply that was exactly the information I was looking for.
Old December 15, 2013, 05:22 PM   #5
BobCat45

0.047" and it works great with my 65 year old eyes, with a +0.5 diopter lens in my shooting glasses.

I love the Garand. Once you've put a few rounds through yours, I bet it becomes your favorite.

Have fun!