The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old January 18, 2012, 03:19 PM   #1
Ctrain

Another cross-state gun question

I am looking at a nice .30-.30 lever action rifle, the seller is in Oregon. I live in Washington State. The seller was wondering if it would be possible for him to save us both on FFL shipping and all of that nonsense and have him drive the rifle up to an FFL near me, where he could give it to the FFL, and then I could buy it from the FFL near me? I of course don't see a problem with that, however I am no expert and DO NOT want to participate in a straw purchase

So...please don't bash me for my question, I am just curious because there are a lot of small what-if type things with buying guns from anything other than a gun shop. Thanks everyone.
Old January 18, 2012, 03:43 PM   #2
dogtown tom

Quote:
Ctrain I am looking at a nice .30-.30 lever action rifle, the seller is in Oregon. I live in Washington State. The seller was wondering if it would be possible for him to save us both on FFL shipping and all of that nonsense and have him drive the rifle up to an FFL near me, where he could give it to the FFL, and then I could buy it from the FFL near me? I of course don't see a problem with that, however I am no expert and DO NOT want to participate in a straw purchase

So...please don't bash me for my question, I am just curious because there are a lot of small what-if type things with buying guns from anything other than a gun shop. Thanks everyone.
Completely legal.
You could also go to a licensed dealer in his state to transfer the rifle.

Plano, Texas...........the Gun Nut Capitol of Gun Culture, USA https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pELwCqz2JfE
Old January 18, 2012, 03:54 PM   #3
Ctrain

Really? Awesome. That is great news. Thank you for letting me know, just wanted to err on the side of caution.
Old January 18, 2012, 04:30 PM   #4
cohoskip

Is an FFL really necessary? I have purchased from a private party in the past. It's done at gun shows all the time...

NRA Life Member
Old January 18, 2012, 04:39 PM   #5
Ctrain

Well you can buy a gun from a private party like this, however it must be from the same state. That is why gun shows in your state can sell guns from private owners, because you have to have the drivers lisence or something like that to show you are a resident. Unfortunately this gentleman is from Oregon while I am just north of him in Washington State. A few hours away but a whole lot of fereal laws in that short trip as well