The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old May 30, 2009, 12:55 AM   #1
katana8869

Picking up a Ruger LCR tomorrow

I guess that I just couldn't ignore it anymore. I started calling around today to check availibility on Ruger LCR's in my area and it seemed like I was 1 step behind at every place that I talked to. All of them claimed to have had one but alas, the guns were already sold. Damn. I did do some price checking while I was at it and each place quoted me prices ranging from $500 to $565.

Just as I was ready to give up, I got a call back from the first shop that I had contacted saying that they had made a mistake. They said that when I talked to them initially, they had checked in the wrong display case and upon further inspection, they had 2 LCR's on hand!

The price is $500 which is a little high but, what the hell I said to myself. I asked the shop if they could hold it for me until I could get there in the morning and the lady who runs the place said, "Hell Mike, I already took one out of the case and put your name on it" (Love that gal! )

So anyway, I will be picking up the gun at about 10 in the morning tomorrow and if all goes well I will get to try it out Sunday. I'll check back in and let y'all know how it performs!
Old May 30, 2009, 08:20 AM   #2
Stainz

My local pusher has one for $419. $500 is high. Yesterday, the salesman and I both agreed that a 642 was a huge step up, both technically and asthetically... and only a few buck$ more. The salesman also quipped, "A new Ruger handgun ... that hasn't been recalled... yet!". I'm sorry, but I sold or traded away all of my remaining Ruger revolvers last year - save one, my bp Old Army. S&W rules here.

Seriously, look at a S&W 642 - a known quantity. Of course, if it's the 'new - gotta have it' blues, you're sunk... and I hope you enjoy it. I shot a 'Judge' two years ago this summer - walked away happy I had my 625MG in .45 Colt. I still find myself drawn to the Taurus section at the pusher's - and the 3" chambered 'Judge' models now (Like yesterday!)... even though several they got were dysfunctional...

No cure for the 'gotta have it' syndrome... common sense and reality are the first casualties. Best of luck - and enjoy it!

Stainz
Old May 30, 2009, 08:43 AM   #3
katana8869

Quote:
Seriously, look at a S&W 642
Already did. One's been riding around in my pocket for a quite a while now

Yeah this is a case of the gotta have it blues, but the curiosity is killin' me. If nothing else it will be an interesting addition!
Old May 30, 2009, 08:53 AM   #4
dipper

Go ahead and get your Ruger Katana.

I have yet to either read or talk to anyone that owns or has fired a LCR to complain about it....in fact, some people that actually own both the LCR and a comparable S&W , say that the Ruger will be their new carry revolver.

Many that questioned Rugers decision about building the LCR are now converts after firing one.

I own both Ruger and S&W revolvers and I actually prefer Ruger for a number of reasons.
I think S&W builds a good revolver but I have had better luck with Rugers myself.
Old May 30, 2009, 01:26 PM   #5
katana8869

Picked it this morning! First impressions of the gun are are great and dimensions are very close to my J-frames. However the grip is wider and the trigger guard is a bit larger. Fit and finish is excellent and the lock up is very tight. It fits easily in my cargo shorts pocket and it carries very well in that mode. I have been carrying it around the house since I got back and I hardly know that the gun is there.

I did some dry fire practice with snap caps and found that the trigger pull is wayyy smoother than either of my Smiths, my SP-101 or my 2 Taurus snubbys. VERY nice. Tommorow will be the day that it gets tested with live fire so I will follow up then.

Last edited by katana8869; May 30, 2009 at 01:31 PM.
Old May 30, 2009, 09:38 PM   #6
mec

It's not your grand dad's snub nose. visible sights, smooth trigger and good accuracy.

Last edited by mec; August 28, 2010 at 09:21 PM.
Old May 31, 2009, 04:27 AM   #7
flatovercrest

Those are some very good results for a snubbie..thanks for posting your feeback. I'll be getting one of those soon. CTC laser eh? awesome!
Old May 31, 2009, 10:11 AM   #8
B.N.Real

I'd like to see that new price hit $400 then I'll buy one.

Used ones might be availible soon too.

The LCR is definitely on my buy list.
Old May 31, 2009, 11:01 AM   #9
Creature

The more I look, the more I like the LCR. I just wish it had an exposed hammer for SA shooting. And the LCR would really be gangbusters if it came in .327... I would also like to see it offered with a tritium front sight.
Old May 31, 2009, 11:57 AM   #10
dipper

Quote:
I would also like to see it offered with a tritium front sight.
+1, that would be a great addition.
Old May 31, 2009, 12:16 PM   #11
Mad Cow

Quote:
And the LCR would really be gangbusters if it came in .327...
I talked to a Ruger rep at the NRA convention & asked him about a LCR in 357, he said it might be on the drawing board.

My wife was looking at buying a LCR with Laser Grips.
Old May 31, 2009, 02:39 PM   #12
jamstutz

XS Sights is already working on a replacement Big Dot tritium front sight for the LCR. From what they told me it should be available soon.

http://www.xssights.com
Old May 31, 2009, 02:54 PM   #13
skydiver3346

Ruger LCR: +1 on the Tritium, Tru-Glo, etc. sights

MEC: What type of ammo did you use in your LCR? Brand, bullet wt., etc.
Old May 31, 2009, 02:56 PM   #14
skydiver3346

Ruger LCR: +1 on the Tritium, Tru-Glo, etc. sights

That would be a great addition to the LCR. I just picked mine up recently and have not shot it as yet, but am really looking forward to hitting the range again on Wednesday this week. Can't wait.

MEC: Very nice shooting with your LCR, especially at the longer ranges...
I notice you have Crimson Trace grips on your LCR? Did that help with the longer distance shooting? Was thinking about getting some for my LCR too.
Old May 31, 2009, 04:55 PM   #15
mec

I haven't shot the standard /non- laser grip. It looks more comfortable than the laser grips and I have it on good authority that it is markedly so. People do complain bout the large size of the standard grip and its "tacky" pocket grabbing tendencies but I suspect it would be a better choice for many potential owners.

The Laser grips are low-profile but transmit significant recoil. Not painful but enough to give some pause to a new shooter working on trigger control. I would consider them less user/accuracy friendly than the larger grips but better than the frame fitting wooden grips they used to put on the Chief's special. I find the laser dot very visible in room light or twilight but not at all visible in sunlight, shade or even very cloudy conditions. The smooth trigger pull and very visible sights contribute more to shootable accuracy than any other factor. The five shot 25 yard cluster is the best I have shot so far but others, fired at a more rapid pace, are not a great deal bigger. The only substantial 50 yard shooting I've done with a snub revolver has been single action from the prone with a chief's special. It is not hard to stay somewhere on the target shooting like that but, I was a bit surprised that all five of my 50 yard standing shots did so. I'm sure that I could repeat the experiment and miss a few times.
Old May 31, 2009, 06:36 PM   #16
Creature

Quote:
I talked to a Ruger rep at the NRA convention & asked him about a LCR in 357, he said it might be on the drawing board.
Quote:
XS Sights is already working on a replacement Big Dot tritium front sight for the LCR. From what they told me it should be available soon.
Suuuuuuu-weeeeeeeetttt!
Old May 31, 2009, 10:57 PM   #17
mec

"MEC: What type of ammo did you use in your LCR? Brand, bullet wt., etc.."

The state of factory ammunition being what it is- mostly handloads. On the pictured groups, its a +P load of 5.2 Unique and a 145 grain flat based swc from Tennessee Valley Bullet Co. I've also used a bevel based 158, hornady swaged swchp loaded over 3.5 bullseye factory s&B 158 fmj, Lawman 158 fmj +P and a lyman cast wadcutter over 5.2 unique. All loads show similar performance in my off-hand shooting.

Loads compared produced essentially the same velocities as from a 2" model 37 so, I anticipate the Speer 135 grain short barrel load will do 960s. They are not available now but if they return to distribution, I suspect that this would be a very good factory load for serious carry. they do expand in water jugs as is expected with gold dot bullets.