The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old April 15, 2008, 07:39 AM   #1
roy reali

Shotgun Disappointment?

Is anyone else here disappointed by the shotgun pictures shown here by posters?

Sometimes I'll see a new thread about looking at someones new shotgun. I open it expecting to see a firearm with wood and nice engraving. I am hoping to see a nice Browning or Berretta or any descent field gun. But, more often then not, it is some monstrosity with a pistol grip and/or tactical stuff attached to it.

I realize these are shotguns too. I realize they have a place and purpose too. I also realize everyone has different tastes when it comes to guns. I guess the word shotgun just conjures up a different image in my mind.

Does anyone else here think this way too?
Old April 15, 2008, 07:59 AM   #2
mikenbarb

I would also rather see a nicely made field gun so your not alone. If I had a way to post pics I would send some pics of my hunting guns. Im not a tacticool gun guy and love wood and metal thats engraved without plastic tacticool stuff installed to hide what the gun really is. I know some people have a purpose for these weapons but im not one of them. My vault includes, Remington 870, Remington 1100, Browning gold 3.5, Mossberg 500, Stoeger condor, Winchester Diamond 2 barrel set, Charles Harvan Castillion grade, Kimber M96, 2-Savage 340c's .223 & 30-30, Benelli SBE, Ithaca Mag-10, Savage 220A, 2-Remington Model 11's- 12 & 20, J.C. Higgins 101.40, Savage 210F slug gun, Remington 7600 carbine 30-06, etc,etc,etc. Dont have room to list all but these are a few I own.
Old April 15, 2008, 08:12 AM   #3
johnbt

Ah, we're just wrongheaded. You need to read the thread "Why Expensive Shotguns", it will explain the error of our ways.

Meanwhile, here's a little something to keep you going.

F Grade Model 1100 that was for sale at William Larkin Moore.
Old April 15, 2008, 08:24 AM   #4
k8do

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder

Daughter's boy toy is ex special forces...
His shotgun is dull black, no shine, no engraving, has a sling... Has friction tape wrapped on the pistol grip... Says he changes it often to keep it fresh and sticky... When I asked why, he shrugged and said blood is really slippery and he got a gun partially pulled out of his grip one time because there was blood on his hands... You wouldn't enjoy looking at pictures of his shotgun...

denny
Old April 15, 2008, 08:56 AM   #5
roy reali

Re:johnbt

Thanks! Now, that is what I picture when I hear the word "shotgun".
Old April 15, 2008, 08:59 AM   #6
Laz

When it comes to weapons, “I love not the sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness; I love that which they defend."

When it comes to pictures of shotguns, I'd rather see something beautiful.

I’m just a nobody, trying to tell everybody, about Somebody, who can save anybody.
Old April 15, 2008, 10:37 AM   #7
Jeff Mulliken

This site is dominated by tacticool owners. If you want to rub elbows with collectors and bird hunters there are better sites. But this can change if there are enough posters that join in the discussions on sporting arms.

Here is some high quality wood on 80 to 100 year old Auto-5's to wet your appetite:

Jeff
Old April 15, 2008, 10:56 AM   #8
roy reali

Mentality?

I wonder if the tactical shotgun people just have a different mentality then the "standard" shotgun folks? I don't mean this question to infer superiority or insuperiority on anyones part. But the obsessive picture posting of the tacticool shotgunners makes me wonder.
Old April 15, 2008, 11:21 AM   #9
Omaha-BeenGlockin

I own both.

So what's the problem??
-------Metallica
Old April 15, 2008, 12:32 PM   #10
mikenbarb

I dont have a way to post pictures but if I did I proably wouldnt want to post pics of my guns. Too many prying eyes that want to know what I have and dont need the possibility of a stalker to try to get them some night(or day). It keeps them guessing what I have in my closet waiting for them to break the do not enter law for my house. I list my basic firearms, and if I had any high end guns then they would stay a mystery except for the guys that I hunt and shoot with. and maybe the guy trying to get into my window. Except to him it would just be a big bright flash.
Old April 15, 2008, 01:03 PM   #11
kristop64089

I own 3 shotguns 1 tactical I took in trade, and 2 inherited.

Shotguns are tools, there my quail/pheasent guns, they get beat up and scratched. I want a beautifuly engraved O/U, but I know I would puke in my mouth if I ever scratched it! And I can't just buy one to never use it.

Unfortunately my others just aren't picture pretty
Old April 15, 2008, 03:21 PM   #12
johnbt

"I own both.

So what's the problem??"

Nothing, just post pictures of the ones with the pretty wood. They're the ones that are the most fun to look at.

Take this test. Look at the following lousy snapshot of two guns with 28" barrels. Which gun did you look at, the 870 Express or the 28 ga. Guerini?

Old April 15, 2008, 05:46 PM   #13
mikenbarb

Test

The bottom one caught my eye first when I noticed the gold trigger and stylish outline of the stock and forearm. Is that a Prince of Whales style stock? I cant make out too well but it looks beautiful. Did one get a trigger job?
Old April 15, 2008, 06:04 PM   #14
lon371

The 870 caught my eye first. I do like the pretty one though.
Old April 15, 2008, 06:52 PM   #15
roy reali

Thanks!

The pictures posted here are what I think of as shotguns.
I consider those tacticool shotguns on the same level as seeing Rosie O'Donnel in a bikini.:barf: Technically she is a woman, but not what I picture a woman to look like in my mind.
Old April 15, 2008, 07:29 PM   #16
10-96

I too expect to see beauty measured by gauge when I stop by here- or I would like to. I go ugly and working class on my pistols and rifles, but I'm not rich enough to be able to enjoy the fine bred lines of shotguns. I have several unaltered and uncool and untactical shotguns and they're as close to elegant and refined as I'm likely to ever get- I love 'em anyway. To me, shotgunning is, or should be, a gentlemans sport. And yes, some of those things serve a less than refined purpose, but those purposes by their pure nature are at best somewhat less than genteel.

I suspect a thing or two... because I've seen a thing or two.
Old April 15, 2008, 07:31 PM   #17
roy reali

Tacticool vs. Huntercool

Can anyone tell me one thing that a tacticool shotgun can do that a traditional "sporting" shotgun can't?
Old April 15, 2008, 07:49 PM   #18
Hawg

To me tacticool sucks, even the word tacticool is childish. I like real guns with wood stocks. I don't need pretty wood or engraving because my guns get used not stored in a safe. The closest thing I have to tactical is my 97 Winnie with a 20 inch tube and six round magazine.
Old April 15, 2008, 07:56 PM   #19
Hawg

I do have this one tho.
May not be your cup o tea.

Old April 15, 2008, 08:29 PM   #20
WVnews

I have three or four nice shotguns. One of them is set up for home defense. I have a total of $150 in it.

Is there something wrong with it? I pointed it at a burglar at 3 am last saturday morning, and he seemed impressed enough to fall of the ladder he was trying to enter the second floor of my house with before he ran off into the woods.

There are a lot of readers of this forum who can't afford a $2,800 single bbl trap gun..should they be left out?
Old April 15, 2008, 08:32 PM   #21
Freakdaddy

This is one I just picked up a couple of months ago but still haven't had a chance to shoot it. It's a 2006 SHOT Show special with less than 100 made in this configuration. I thought it was rather unique and definitely not something you see every day.
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]

This is one of my favorites. It is my grandfather's Model 11. It was made in the very early 1900's and has a custom Bishop stock. Although not spectacular wood, nice nonetheless.
[IMG][/IMG]

The other ones I have are a Gold Fusion, Auto-5 12 Mag, Wingmaster and BPS 10 gauge. I'm also a big fan of a high polished, deeply blued metal with nice wood. Nothing against camo or parkerized finishes as they serve the purpose they were intended for...much like tactial models. They just don't make me take a second look or say "WOW! That Mossy Oak has some INCREDIBLE depth!" LOL!
Old April 15, 2008, 09:00 PM   #22
Jeff Mulliken

It's nice to see some pictures of real guns. Sometimes the background makes the gun picture, here is a 1936 Parker 16 ga:

And my best friend Luke always makes guns look good. Here he is with a 12 and 16 ga A5's and the results of a mornings work

BTW, I gave up worrying about zombies attacking when I realized the odds were much better of winning the lottery...how many of you have actually ever pointed a shotgun at a person? Really.

Some great pictures dont even have guns in them, they just make you smile:

Last edited by Jeff Mulliken; April 15, 2008 at 09:04 PM. Reason: add pics
Old April 15, 2008, 09:51 PM   #23
FL-Flinter

Old April 15, 2008, 09:53 PM   #24
FL-Flinter

Jeff,

"free cat"
Old April 15, 2008, 11:14 PM   #25
roy reali

Thanks Again

Great pictures! Thanks for renewing my faith in shotgunners. Maybe their should be two shotgun categories on TFL. After all, hunting shotguns and tactical shotguns almost don't seem like the same weapons.