The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old January 20, 2016, 04:26 AM   #1
simo

saiga ak factory trigger

Hi guys, i've a saiga in 7.62x39 and the factory trigger is awful: it's kinda two stage, but the trigger pull is long and, after the shot, the trigger comes back with too much strenght.
Even if you can easily feel the reset, the trigger keeps on moving forward with so much strenght that it comes back at the starting position. So after the shot i keep the trigger back and, once reaquired sights picture, i let the trigger return toward the reset and, in the istant i feel it, i pull the trigger and take the second shot. it has always worked well and the results are about the same as my other ak's, so there is no jerking on the trigger or movement before the second shot. Obviously i don't use this tecnique for precision shooting, but for shooting steel targets at short-medium range.
I'll probably change the trigger group but the question i am asking you is: what do you think about this method (pulling the trigger in the same istant you feel the reset)?
thank you very much and forgive me for my bad english, i hope i explained my self.
Old January 20, 2016, 03:55 PM   #2
chris in va

Everything you wanted to know about the Saiga platform.

http://saiga-12.com

As for the trigger, Izhmash needed to convert a normal AK-47 into a 'sporter' configuration, ie a hunting stock and relocated trigger position. In order to do that the factory has to install a cantilever bar from the original fire control group back to the rearward trigger. This really screws up any decent trigger pull and reset.

The only way I'm aware of getting back a decent trigger pull is converting it back to the standard location.
Old January 22, 2016, 08:50 AM   #3
simo

Thank you for the info, but the question was another: i'd like to know what do you think about that trigger control! Anyway, i live in europe and our saigas are not sporterized, they looks like military ones, obviously not select fire..
Old January 22, 2016, 09:09 AM   #4
Fishbed77

Quote:
Thank you for the info, but the question was another: i'd like to know what do you think about that trigger control! Anyway, i live in europe and our saigas are not sporterized, they looks like military ones, obviously not select fire..
Sounds like you need to just get a better drop-in trigger. The Tapco G2 is a very good inexpensive option. The ALG AKT is a popular new option as well.
Old January 22, 2016, 09:34 AM   #5
tangolima

Quote:
Originally Posted by simo View Post
I happen to have the same technique to fire all my semi autos. It works for me.

About the trigger, a gunsmith can do a trigger job to improve it. I have a fn49 that used to do that. After working on it, it became much more acceptable. A replacement trigger will certainly help.

BTW, you are from Finland?

-TL
Old January 22, 2016, 10:12 AM   #6
simo

Quote:
BTW, you are from Finland?
no, i'm from Italy. Here we have lot of restrictions about hunting and carrying guns, but you can buy about any firearm, even short barreled rifles and shotguns

Quote:
Sounds like you need to just get a better drop-in trigger. The Tapco G2 is a very good inexpensive option. The ALG AKT is a popular new option as well.
i have another ak, an original bulgarian ak74, wich has a far better trigger and finiture and it is even a lot more accurate: if it had a bad trigger, i would have changed it, but for now i think that the factory trigger is ok for my saiga (it's not very accurate and the most important thing is that in over 3000 rounds it never jammed, so i'd prefer not to change anything..). another thing that make me reluctant in changing the trigger is that for close distances (up to 100 m) the factory trigger works just fine and double taps are really fast, since the reset is (even too much) positive.

Tags
7.62x39 , factory , saiga , technique , trigger