The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old June 29, 2012, 10:19 PM   #26
David Wile

Hey folks,

Unless I missed something, it seemed that Thorn indicated he intended to load his ammo on a Hornady L&L progressive press while using 4895 powder. I cannot imagine using any extruded powder on a progressive press. Our powder measures do a great job with ball and flake powders, but expecting to get the same consistent powder throws with extruded powder just is not realistic. I know that 4895 is the favorite for Garand loads, but that does not mean other ball powders cannot provide the same results while being used on progressive machines.

Best wishes,
Dave Wile
Old June 29, 2012, 11:04 PM   #27
Unclenick
Staff

You can use the Quick Measure and its adapter. The inexpensive Lee Perfect measure does pretty well, too, and can also be adapted to progressive loaders using Lee's Universal Charging Die.

That said, stick powders don't always seem to need the same degree of weight consistency you get with sphericals. I pulled bullets from some Winchester Supreme .308 match loads once that used 748, and that powder was all dispensed within a span of 0.05 grains according to my lab scale. The .308 Gold Medal Match I pulled the same year had 4064 in it (they now use RL15), and the charge spread was 0.4 grains, but it shot more accurately than the Winchester load.

Hatcher's Notebook includes the information that choosing powder for the National Match loads one year, he tried two stick powders that he said both had a burn rate about what modern IMR4320 has. One was a short grain and would meter to a span of 0.6 grains in the arsenal loading equipment. The other was a long, coarse grain that could only be held to a span of 1.7 grains in the arsenal powder dispensers. Nonetheless, the loads that came off the machinery with that wide charge weight spread were consistently more accurate than those filled with the finer grain powder that metered weight more accurately.

There seems to be a phenomenon whereby, because they can pack to a wider range of bulk densities than spherical powders can, stick powders have some tendency to self-compensate for dispensed bulk density differences. It works better for some than for others, and better in some cartridges than others. Pack them tighter and the charge weight increases for a given volume, but the flame front then moves through the powder mass more slowly, slowing down ignition and vice versa. The bottom line seems to be that dispensing with the same volume rather than the same weight works just fine with many of them. Presumably, Hatcher's coarse grain powder was one of the better ones in this regard, given the bullet weight and case volume he was using. Anyway, you can but try before passing judgment.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old July 9, 2012, 10:15 PM   #28
THORN74

OK .... got my lnl ap setup.... loaded first 8 rounds... full en bloc

Hornady 150 gr fmjbt, 46 gr imr 4895, win lrm peers and hxp brass .... maybe a week or so before I can test fire

Anny way... I got 4 perfect round and 4 like this

Any ideas on what making this happen?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
Old July 9, 2012, 10:23 PM   #29
zxcvbob

I'm new at this (rifle reloading) but I wanna take a guess. Looks like a crimp die set too tight.

Did you trim the cases? If 4 of them were a little long, the seating die would start to crimp early, even if you didn't intend for it to crimp.
Old July 9, 2012, 11:10 PM   #30
THORN74

I didn't trim, but I checked all the cases prior to loading and they were all in spec ..... I'm guessing the seating die is a turn or two to low .... but I need some more experience

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
Old July 10, 2012, 03:14 PM   #31
Unclenick
Staff

The case mouths have a lighter reflecting ring than the rest of the neck, suggesting they were crimped hard by running into the crimp shoulder in the seating die. Since it's not happening to them all, it suggests some of your cases are longer than others. This is corrected by trimming after resizing (when they grow most) and before seating. It is also the case that your bullet was designed to be crimped in its cannelure (the knurled ring) so your seater stem isn't turned in far enough to get that level with the mouth. Finished COL for .30-06 should be 3.185" with the Hornady 150 gr. FMJ BT.

I recommend that unless you have a situation you know requires such a crimp, like shooting cast bullets, you try not crimping at all. Back your seater die's body (the coarse outer thread) off several turns. Put one of your sized and trimmed cases in the shell holder, run the ram up to the top of the stroke. Tighten the die body until you feel it stop against the case. This is where the crimp shoulder starts to touch the case mouth. Back it out one turn. Set the locking collar into place. Adjust the finer inner thread to seat the bullet to the desired depth.

If you have to have a crimp, trim all cases to the same length. Follow the instructions in + (they work for other brands as well).
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old July 11, 2012, 12:36 PM   #32
Ethan.G

i had the exact same problem my first 30.06 loads (actually same bullet aswell)
i bought the lee factory crimp die and just started using that to crimp instead of my seater, never had a problem since
Old July 11, 2012, 08:30 PM   #33
Sport45

Unclenick give good advice above. I'll add that even if the crimp isn't excessive, starting it before the case mouth is lined up with the cannelure can cause this problem. If the case mouth is squeezed into the bullet as the bullet is being seated the neck has nowhere to go but down.

I don't crimp anything I reload for my M1.
Old July 15, 2012, 03:34 AM   #34
Fastercat

I accidentally bought 1000 magnum primers once. I've used them in .270, .308 and .30-06 without any problems.