The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old November 28, 2002, 09:11 PM   #1
CactusLaCroix

Enfield ID

Hi, I bought my first Enfield the other day, it was calling my name, and needs some love, but once I get it cleaned up it should look nice. I'm having trouble identifying the manufacture though as the markings seem to be a little lacking compared to some of info I've found on various websites.

The reciever's stamped:
No. 4 MK. 1

The band above the trigger guard is stamped:
R.O.F. (there's no F or M or anything)

The end of the barrel is stamped:
303 2 . 22"
18 . 5 TONS

The stock is stamped:
22999 near the barrel end

and
FR on the butt stock portion

So I'm guessing it was probably made in 1941 (which was the first year of No.4 production, correct?) and was one of the first 23,000 rifles made, but I'm not sure which factory it was made at and if there's anything else significant about it. If anyone can help me out I'd really appreciate and info you might have for me.

Thanks.
Old November 28, 2002, 10:54 PM   #2
James K
Member In Memoriam

If that is the original serial number, there should be a letter prefix. My source shows 22999 would have been made at Fazakerley, but should have a single letter or a double letter prefix.

I have never seen the "ROF" without an indication of which one; could it be "POF" (Pakistan Ordnance Factory)? If so, they would have rebuilt it and that concurs with the"FR" which was used by both Pakistan and India to indicate Factory Repair, a shortened version of the British FTR (Factory Thorough Repair).

POF never made the No. 4 Mk 1, only the Mk 2, but they repaired many of the older rifles. Repair in both countries often meant removal of the original serial number and the assigning of a new number.

The ".303...TONS" marking is the British commercial proof mark, consisting of the caliber, chamber length and working pressure of the round; it indicates that the rifle was sold on the commercial market in England at one time, possibly to an American importer.

Jim