The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old July 18, 2020, 06:38 PM   #51
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pahoo
Quote:
but I don't see where having to go to the govt and buy permission.
This is a state requirement as oppose to the Federal government and actually makes it easier for all to obtain a firearm. ....
He didn't say "federal" government. State government is still government.

I fail to see how having to go to some government office -- whether it's the sheriff, the county clerk, or the judge of probate -- is easier than walking into the gun shop and saying to the person behind the counter, "I'll take this one, and that one over there. What's that total up to?"
Jeepaholic
Old July 18, 2020, 07:06 PM   #52
Pahoo

Regardless, it is what it is

Quote:
He didn't say "federal" government. State government is still government.
That's right, he didn't but he was not very clear as to "what government", so as not to confuse some. By now, you should know that when someone states; "Government", the default, in most folk's mind's is usually "The Federal Government". There has been enough confusion in this thread that we should be clearer. ......

Regardless, it is what it is and;
Be Safe !!!
Old July 18, 2020, 07:11 PM   #53
ghbucky

Quote:
I fail to see how having to go to some government office -- whether it's the sheriff, the county clerk, or the judge of probate -- is easier than walking into the gun shop and saying to the person behind the counter, "I'll take this one, and that one over there. What's that total up to?"
I always thought the 2nd amendment was my permit to purchase. I'll never live in a state that disagrees.
Old July 18, 2020, 10:39 PM   #54
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pahoo
By now, you should know that when someone states; "Government", the default, in most folk's mind's is usually "The Federal Government".
I certainly don't know that, and I don't agree that "most" folks automatically equate "government" with the federal government. YMMV. To me, and I think to most people with whom I associate, "government" encompasses the entire range of bureaucracy, from city through county through state and finally the feds.
Jeepaholic
Old July 19, 2020, 10:52 AM   #55
Pahoo

If the shoe fits !!???

When members state "opinions" in this forum, it's just that and with $4.00 you can go to a bar and get a glass of brew. Opinions are not worth debating or getting into a spitting contest over. That should hold true for all members and especially "some" moderators. .......

I may not agree with an opinion but not worth a debate ....

Be Safe !!!
Old July 28, 2020, 06:00 PM   #56
langenc

Ask the gun shop-instant answer. Ask the police-wait month or more and then probably get wrong info.

$4.00 for a brew. Not so far back when I was going could get a 'shell' for 15 cents.