The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 23, 2015, 03:12 PM   #1
Clark

How many cartridges have you shot with the bullet backwards?

I did it in 2002 with 303 Savage, trying to use 30-30 brass.
I did it last month with 32 Colt Long, trying to get the bullet nose to act like a heel.
I just did it today with 32-30, wanting to work up higher than my ideal load to see some safety margin, but running out of room with the high bulk modulus H110.

It reminds me of salmon fishing, guys who were drinking put the herring bait on the hooks, backwards, and called it special.
"Ad hominem fallacy" is not the same as point by point criticism of books. If you bought the book, and believe it all, it may FEEL like an ad hominem attack, but you might strive to accept other points of view may exist.
Are we a nation of competing ideas, or a nation of forced conformity of thought?
Old January 23, 2015, 03:26 PM   #2
243winxb

30-30 loading 2-110gr bullets butt to butt. Does that count.
Old January 23, 2015, 03:35 PM   #3
TXAZ

None (yet)

Cave illos in guns et backhoes
Old January 23, 2015, 03:51 PM   #4
x500ben

I have tried 7.62 fmj backwards in 308 but they have not been very accurate. But I have shot hundreds of fmj 's both 7.62 and 303 's in a 30 herrett used for slaughtering buffolo in a slaughter house.
Old January 23, 2015, 06:12 PM   #5
Bart B.

Couple hundred or more. Reloaded some 30 caliber odds & ends backwards in .30-06 cases then shot them in a Win 70 over a few weekends. Not too accurate and were all loaded about 3 grains under max for their weights.
Old January 23, 2015, 09:34 PM   #6
44 AMP
Staff

A few thousand .38 Specials with 148gr HBWC loaded upside down. Fairly extensive testing at velocities from 600fps to about 1000fps. Learned a bit, about what works, and what doesn't.

Never saw the point to loading a rifle bullet backwards. Literally.
Old January 23, 2015, 09:41 PM   #7
Kframe

Yep, just like 44 AMP, I've loaded the .38 148gr HBWC backwards.
The lead is so soft you actually can get devastating expansion on varmints and wet newspapers at 900fps.
I miked a couple that I dug out, right around an inch and very good weight retention due to the slow speed.

Just for fun I loaded a couple in .357 max loads and they blew apart in wet newspapers and weren't very accurate.
Old January 23, 2015, 09:42 PM   #8
Kframe

Oh, and I used to load round balls backwards in my wrist rocket, I think.
Old January 24, 2015, 01:05 AM   #9
FrankenMauser

FMJs in .223 Rem
FMJs in .220 Swift
Odds and ends in .30-06 and .270 Win
All kinds of bullets in .38/.357 and .44 Mag
HBWCs (as "HPWCs") in .32 S&W, .32 H&R, and .327 Federal (Accuracy was horrendous.)

And, it wasn't backwards, but the nose profile didn't do it any favors -- my favorite load in .30 WCF used a .312" 60 gr Hornady XTP. It made potato salad like nothing else. (I use a lot of potatoes as reactive targets. )
Old January 24, 2015, 12:38 PM   #10
44 AMP
Staff

The key to the upside down HBWC is to remember that they are soft lead. And the hollowbase, now the hollow point is going to expand tremendously even at low speeds. High speeds are actually counter productive.

Just shooting them at regular target wadcutter speeds (or even less) works great for a number of things. One load, at about 650fps wouldn't punch through the side of an old refridgerator (and I wouldn't use it as a defense load by choice) but it had almost no recoil and was devastating on skunks and porcupines.
Old January 24, 2015, 01:12 PM   #11
mikld

My experience with HBWC loaded backwards was a bit different than those above. Most of the time the HP (skirt) would just collapse without expanding. Sometimes the skirt would tear off of the bullet body. Only about 10%-20% of the time did the backwards HBWC mushroom like one might expect and that had to be a straight on shot. Accuracy was poor beyond 10 feet, and terrible at 10 yards, from my 2" .38. Lots of fun though. I now just use a DEWC loaded "hot" for my house guns...
Old January 24, 2015, 01:44 PM   #12
BumbleBug

Just once

I tried it once in a .270 Win without any problems. I just did it because I read about it in a magazine & just wanted to try it. No practical reason or advantage. The ultimate wad-cutter with a boattail(?).....LOL

...bug
Old January 24, 2015, 03:47 PM   #13
rkittine

When I was commercially reloading, I used to regularly load 148 GR HBWC upside down in 38s and sell them as home defense loads. Open up and hit hard, but will not go through the wall and kill someone in the next room.

Bob
Old January 24, 2015, 05:26 PM   #14
F. Guffey

Back in WW1 bullets were pulled, turned around and shot, seems there was an advantage to spalding the back side of a metal plate specially if someone was standing behind it.

Then I was told I could shoot the barrel clean with a turned around bullet. And then I told that individual to stay away from me.

F. Guffey
Old January 25, 2015, 01:43 AM   #15
FrankenMauser

Quote:
The key to the upside down HBWC is to remember that they are soft lead. And the hollowbase, now the hollow point is going to expand tremendously even at low speeds. High speeds are actually counter productive.
Mine were all low to moderate velocity loads (~600-800 fps). Well.... estimated. I never ran any across a chronograph, and I based the .327 Federal loads on .32 H&R data.....

They sure didn't feel or sound hot.
Old January 25, 2015, 11:51 AM   #16
Mike / Tx

The only ones for me were like mentioned the HBWC;s in my 38 for something to have at the house years ago. I was on the road a LOT then and wanted something that the wife could use that would make an impression on a BG should she need to. I tested them in all sorts of stuff and used the laod that did the best overall. I haven't got a clue as to what charge weight or what the velocity was. I know I was using BE and RD both during this time for the proper way to load them.

My close friend had a friend, (I know that ol friend of a friend thing), but he was shooting bullseye about every weekend. He had both BE and RD loads that you could actually see the bullets in flight with the right light. He said he worked them down until he lodged the bullet and worked back up form there. He had a three ring binder of loads for different revolvers and pistols all of which were hardly moving along at all. They did however post excellent resutls. I got my data from him for my 38 and then later on for my 357. I never shot in competition but made up some wonderful shooting loads.
Old January 26, 2015, 08:51 AM   #17
griz

The old 22 cal Nosler Solid Base had a generous boat tail. I would load them backwards at reduced velocity in 223 to get a little more of a flat point than cheap FMJs. I carried them for turkey but never got a chance to try them on one. They tested well in wet phone books.
Old January 26, 2015, 10:21 AM   #18
Gunfixr

There were plenty of answers here, but none matches mine, so here you go. Back in the 80s, when I first started loading, I thought it might be cool to load the 115 gr truncated cone lead 9mm projectiles in backwards, figured it would act like a 38 wadcutter. Used the same powder load.
It did cut clean holes. Not real accurate, sounded like a half load. Didn't cycle the action. Pistol was a p38.
Loaded about a box, never loaded any more.
I've loaded 38 wadcutters backwards, like some others. They shot fine, like others.
Still have that pistol, still have that press.
Old January 26, 2015, 10:53 AM   #19
fishhead1

Quote:
A few thousand .38 Specials with 148gr HBWC loaded upside down
Question about this. Do you use the same powder loading with the HBWC upside down as with the same bullet rightside up? Seems like the powder charge would have to change a bit. Just asking.
Old January 26, 2015, 11:11 AM   #20
kostner

Yep, just like 44 AMP, I've loaded the .38 148gr HBWC backwards. They keyholed and wern't that accurate.
Old January 26, 2015, 01:52 PM   #21
Saint Dennis

I shoot a lot of DBBWC in .38 and .44. Statistics tells me I've loaded 50% of them backwards......
Old January 26, 2015, 03:39 PM   #22
bangerjim

Played around with 38SPL and 45LC (cast lead and PC'd by me) backwards. Made WC's I guess. Not extremely accurate, so why bother?

I have molds for WC's so it was a waste of time for me. But I just have to play with "stuff"!

That is the fun of rolling your own rather than buying com-cast or FMJ's in a store.

bangerjim
Old January 28, 2015, 09:40 AM   #23
griz

Just stumbled across this and thought it fit in well here.

Firing a tracer backwards.
Old January 28, 2015, 09:48 AM   #24
rclark

Only time is when firelapping my revolvers ... so several 100...
A clinger and deplorable, MAGA, and life NRA member. When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns. Single Action .45 Colt (Sometimes colloquially referred to by its alias as the .45 'Long' Colt or .45LC). Don't leave home without it. That said, the .44Spec is right up their too... but the .45 Colt is still the king.
Old January 28, 2015, 04:56 PM   #25
Geezerbiker

I have a few .30 carbine FMJ bullets that I've loaded backwards in .300 Blackout rounds. I haven't shot them yet but they make a mean looking round. If they shoot well, I'll pick up a box for further testing.

Tony