The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old July 2, 2017, 09:47 AM   #1
dogfood

Source for 9mm once-fired, deprimed, wet tumbled ... but NOT resized

I usually just pick up 9mm range brass and clean it up myself, but I'm jammed up on both time and space over the next 6 months or so - so I'm looking for a source for once-fired brass to carry me over.

Many, many options on the Net ... but I'm not finding exactly what I want, which is:

9mm Para, once-fired, Federal and/or WCC (no military crimps), deprimed first then wet tumbled ... but NOT resized

I've almost found it - but it's always resized, and previous resized brass I've purchased has been excessively resized. So I would like to avoid that.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
dogfood
Old July 2, 2017, 01:20 PM   #2
higgite

Most once-fired brass sources that I've run across who deprime, do it with the same type resize/deprime dies that most of us use. Why not if that's what MOST of their customers want?

How much excessively is "excessively resized" 9mm brass resized as compared to what comes out of your resizing die? Will your case mouth expander not fit in the case mouth of purchased once-fired that has been resized by the vendor?
Old July 2, 2017, 04:10 PM   #3
Sevens

When I read what you've written... it sure seems to me like you have very little hands-on experience with 9mm brass. With many years & tens of thousands of rounds of 9mm handloaded and reloaded countless times through literally dozens of guns...

9mm brass does not wear out.

Does not wear out.
Old July 2, 2017, 05:03 PM   #4
dogfood

You know, I came here looking for assistance in finding what I was looking for. I wasn't suggesting that purchased once-fired brass, resized, was bad from all who provide this service. And undoubtedly that's what most customers want ... because that's what most vendors are providing.

And I wasn't looking for a fight.

Since 9mm Para is a tapered case, you certainly can work the brass excessively by sizing it too far with a straight wall resizing ring ... which is what most of our carbide sizing dies contain. That usually doesn't cause a problem, but it can - especially in those firearms with generous chamber dimensions. As such, I set my resizing die to only resize as much is necessary for the firearm in use. This is my preference. I'm not suggesting it is how others should do it.

Just for reference, a quick sum of my 9mm reloads since 1988 says I'm at 14K+.

I haven't posted here in quite some time. I'm remembering why that is.
Old July 2, 2017, 05:36 PM   #5
Dufus

The place I buy my once fired from offers all sorts of extra services including fully processed ready to load.

I would bet that if you talked to them they just might give you what you wanted. Worth a shot anyways.

http://www.monmouthreloading.com/

Early on I was buying 45 ACP until I found out they didn't separate the small primer brass from the large primer brass.

After talking to them about it, they now offer both.
Old July 2, 2017, 09:06 PM   #6
Sevens

In 14,000+ rounds, please share even a glimpse of how many pieces of 9mm brass you have worn out. I'm interested.
Old July 2, 2017, 11:33 PM   #7
reddog81

If you're going to resize it anyways why does it need to be deprimed? Why not just be once fired brass?
Old July 3, 2017, 01:01 PM   #8
mikld

No one is attacking you, just making suggestions and sharing opinions. I have not heard of any supplier of used brass that will partially process it (deprime, tumble, but not size). While I've only been reloading 9mm for 18 years or so, now for 3 pistols, I cannot remember any cases that have "worn out" (I full length size and flare all cases). I've had a couple that split (IIRC maybe 2), but most that were not reloadable were stepped on or so dirty they were just tossed. And I found one with the "shelf" on the ID, can't remember headstamp...

FWIW If I were easily offended by any forum members, I certainly wouldn't come back as 99% of questions on forums are easily found in either manuals/texts or google...
Old July 3, 2017, 07:19 PM   #9
dogfood

Dufus: Thanks, I'll give that a go.

mikld: I appreciate the insight, but when the first sentence of a reply includes "... you have very little experience with 9mm brass" - without even inquiring first, it sure looks like an attack.

And at one time I found a supplier who deprimed only and wet tumbled. Obviously that wasn't popular, otherwise others would do it today. However, I've found several who deprime and dry tumble, so there must be some demand (albeit small) for that condition. I prefer wet tumble because brass I've purchased dry tumbled has come, at times, with way too much residue - meaning I had to clean it again. That sort of defeats the purpose.

Good day (or night) to all of you.

dogfood
Old July 3, 2017, 09:52 PM   #10
Don Fischer

OK. Why would anyone de-prime and not resize?
Old July 3, 2017, 10:33 PM   #11
Dufus

I have done the deprime for a long time without sizing. My reason is to clean the primer pockets and clean the brass before stuffing the dirty case in my dies.
Old July 4, 2017, 10:54 AM   #12
mikld

To each his own...
Old July 4, 2017, 08:57 PM   #13
Ronic

How many are you looking for? I deprime with a universal and then wet tumble so they don't get my sizing die dirty, and also i'm using a loadmaster, so station 2 has my sizing die in it to locate the primers correctly. I probably don't have the amount you are looking for. Maybe in the for sale section you could see if anyone in there could do it for you.
Old July 4, 2017, 11:51 PM   #14
Don Fischer

I hope I'm not displaying my stupidity but, how dirty are the case's before you clean them? Only case's of mine that hit the ground are out of my semi auto handguns, both 9mm's. I pick them up off the ground and they look more than clean enough to me to load right then. I wish I could keep them from hitting the ground but just can't. I hear about the idea of not putting dirty case's through the dies but have no idea just what constitutes dirt? My rifle case's I resize after re-sizing and get the flash holes with a small tool I made for scraping around the inside edge of the pocket's. Sometime's, not often, I do clean before sizing then clean again to get the lube off the case. Have no idea which way is better.
Old July 5, 2017, 06:34 AM   #15
AVirginian

I too, deprime before I wet clean my brass.

I like my reloads to look purty.
Old July 5, 2017, 06:42 AM   #16
Don P

Quote:
and previous resized brass I've purchased has been excessively resize
How do you know this?

Quote:
As such, I set my resizing die to only resize as much is necessary for the firearm in use. This is my preference. I'm not suggesting it is how others should do it.
Who/what manufacturers resizing die are you using?

Quote:
Just for reference, a quick sum of my 9mm reloads since 1988 says I'm at 14K+
My total since Jan.2016 and having a multitude of 9mm have yet to have a problem with any reloads. Now to this information,

Quote:
so I'm looking for a source for once-fired brass to carry me over.
How bad/ much could they be excessively resized being once fired brass.
As you are, I once was, As I am, You will be.
Old July 12, 2017, 03:30 PM   #17
IMtheNRA

Not wet tumbled, but cleaned and polished. Deprimed.
http://gibrass.com/brass.html
Old July 12, 2017, 03:44 PM   #18
condor bravo

For a good price at least, $5 per 250, try M & H Enterprises under Once Fired Brass. But is mixed headstamped. The rifle brass received from them has been cleaned and not deprimed or sized.
Old July 12, 2017, 04:10 PM   #19
hdwhit

You can also try: http://www.leobrass.com/brass/

They offer brass right off the range or cleaned & polished. They will also provide other services upon request, but you have to call them to arrange it.
Old July 13, 2017, 08:54 PM   #20
dogfood

Thanks all for the various leads ... but I happened to stumble upon a pretty good deal (or at least it seems like a pretty good deal) on a Facebook group, The Brass Bank.

[Side note: I'm not a fan of FB, but if it brings like-minded shooters together, I can live with it.]

Anyway, I found 9mm mixed brass, deprimed, wet tumbled with primer pockets swaged. $33 per 1K shipped, so I ordered 3K. We'll see how it turns out when it arrives.

dogfood
Old July 16, 2017, 06:48 PM   #21
JeepHammer

2004, thread from the dead....

The ONLY way to be sure your brass hasn't been previously resized/loaded...
Buy milbrass with the primers still in them and process yourself.
Milbrass in bulk RARELY gets processed, and anyone that took the time to punch primers & elminates the crimp doesn't leave brass behind.

This goes for any 'Range Pickup', if the primer crimp isn't in place there is no way to tell how many times it's been loaded/fired.

Most people that sell bulk brass advertise it as 'Milbrass' or 'Range Pickup',
Range pickup can be anything from anywhere,
Milbrass is just that, and nothing more (or less).

I sell milbrass anything from basic dirt knock off cleaning & case neck qualification (cheap, so you get what you get)
To fully processed & annealed, polished, hand inspected,
- 5 stages, I can stop processing at any of the 5 steps, so the price reflects the amount of processing.

I don't like even selling civilian brass since I can't verify where it came from or how many times it's been shot...

The other thing you have to remember, 'Range Pickup' WILL have .222, .204 etc.
Bulk 'Clean Only' doesn't get sorted on a qualifying machine, so the oddballs slip into the general case size 'At A Glance' inspections if the guys bother to separate it at all...

You get what you pay for & time is money!