The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old July 26, 2016, 03:26 PM   #1
Deej92

Lightest SA trigger for disabled hands

Hello everyone. It's been years since I partook in this forum (forgot old account info), but I recall the quality advice.

Long story short, I broke my neck and pinched my spine and now I have very weak hands and fingers. Haven't shot since the injury (4 years). I am certain I can manage low recoil calibers..going to start with 22 lr. My real concern is trigger pull.

What manufacturer offers the smoothest trigger in a SA 22 lr revolver? How light can I safely make it with aftermarket modifications?

Any and all input is welcomed. Can't wait to get back to shooting
Old July 26, 2016, 03:59 PM   #2
rep1954

All my Ruger Single Actions, Blackhawks and Single Sixes get this kit.

http://powercustom.com/store/index.p...roducts_id=136
Old July 26, 2016, 04:33 PM   #3
Jim Watson

The smoothest SA and lightest without serious gunsmith work, not just a spring change, would be in a double action revolver.
A K22 would be well worth the extra cost and effort to find a nice example. An Officer's Model Match would also be good, but is less common.
Old July 26, 2016, 04:36 PM   #4
Sevens

Okay, are you specifically asking about single action revolvers? Or are you also including the single action MODE of double action revolvers?

Because if you are merely asking about single action rimfire revolvers, I believe there are only three choices on the market:

1) Ruger, fantastic quality for an affordable price
2) Freedom Arms, best quality ever in a production revolver, will cost a fortune in comparison
3) all the others are basically junk, nowhere worth your time in the small savings over the Ruger
Old July 26, 2016, 05:48 PM   #5
Deej92

SA mode in a DA revolver would be fine as well. I figured a dedicated SA would have the lightest trigger...but is the opposite true?
Old July 26, 2016, 05:51 PM   #6
rep1954

Jim your not insinuating that the Power Custom hammer and trigger kits are just spring kits are you? I don't even use the mainspring that's included as it lengthens lock time. The trigger spring however is a valuable asset. The hammers and triggers are CNC wire burned from harden steel and have as close to a match as can be had. No trigger creep or grit on any I have installed. I agree about the S&W having a better single action pull than a Single Action gun. Even then most new S&W's need a new reset spring due to lawyers.

Last edited by rep1954; July 26, 2016 at 06:07 PM.
Old July 26, 2016, 06:08 PM   #7
Jim Watson

Pardon me, I did not trace out your advertisement for Power parts.
There are too many people who think a "trigger job" amounts to weaker springs.
There are a lot who believe in "drop in" parts, too. If they work for you, great.

I still say a K22 will be equal to or better than the best Single Six. Even if you hone the Ruger's weight of pull down, you still have the heavy hammer fall.

And you can reload the Smith in a reasonable time frame, too.

The only single actions I have are leftovers from my CAS days.
Old July 26, 2016, 09:48 PM   #8
Driftwood Johnson

Howdy

What a great opportunity to try out my new Lyman digital trigger gauge.

Tested four double action S&W revolvers in single action mode, and one Three Screw Ruger Single Six.

The lightest trigger pull was a S&W K-22 made in 1932. 2 pounds, 8.2 ounces.

Next was another S&W K-22, this one made in 1950. 3 pounds, 2.5 ounces.

Next was a S&W Model 17-3 (the updated version of the K-22) made in 1973. 3 pounds, 14.1 ouncers.

Last of the Smiths is the newest, a 617-6 made in 2003. 4 pounds 5.1 ounces.

Just for fun, the Single Six, 4 pounds 2.1 ounces. Like I said, this is an old Three Screw, I don't have a modern Single Six to test.

This pretty much bears out what I have always felt. When shooting several 22 revolvers for comparison, after shooting the others, it felt like a feather could trip the trigger of that old K-22. But you may not be able to find one. The Model 17-3 is still no slouch at 3 pounds 14.1 ounces. These guns were made in the era when parts were hand fitted, so it should be expected they will have very good triggers right out of the box.

Not so with the Model 617, hand fitting parts had ceased by then.

With a Ruger you are going to have mass produced parts that are assembled without any hand fitting. Wish I had a modern Single Six to test for you, but I don't.

I can say though, that I have put those Power Custom parts into three 'original model' Vaqueros, and they all have trigger pulls around 2 1/2 pounds. On one of the Vaqueros I had to do a teeny bit of filing, the other two were straight drop in with no fitting at all. The kit consisted of the Power Custom half cock hammer, matching trigger, and a lighter main spring and trigger spring. The beauty of the Power Custom parts is they are cut on wire EDM (Electro-Discharge Machine) not CNC, and the parts come out with a terrific finish, better than the original Ruger parts. So not only are the springs lighter, but the full cock notch and sear are smoother than stock, so there is less friction. That is my experience with Power Custom Parts in Rugers.

But for a terrific out of the box single action trigger, it is hard to beat a S&W K-22 or Model 17 made before MIM parts.
Old July 27, 2016, 01:53 AM   #9
rep1954

Quote:
The beauty of the Power Custom parts is they are cut on wire EDM (Electro-Discharge Machine) not CNC, and the parts come out with a terrific finish, better than the original Ruger parts.
Driftwood, I work around "CNC" wire burners all day. CNC stands for "Computer Numerical Controled". Almost any type of machining operation done today can be done with a computer programmed machine. CNC doesn't mean milling only. Welcome to the new millennium.

Last edited by rep1954; July 27, 2016 at 08:45 AM.
Old July 27, 2016, 07:42 AM   #10
Jim Watson

Quote:
I have put those Power Custom parts into three 'original model' Vaqueros, and they all have trigger pulls around 2 1/2 pounds.
That is just excellent, better than I expected.
So all the OP needs now is a Single Six and $150 in parts.
I'd still rather have a K22.
Old July 27, 2016, 07:47 AM   #11
Driftwood Johnson

rep1954

I started CNC programming about 20 years ago, so I am well aware what CNC stands for. I used to design parts on CAD, some of which could only be made by Wire EDM. I like to use the correct term. Thanks for your support.

You might want to check on the spelling of millennium.
Old July 27, 2016, 08:01 AM   #12
tallball

My daughter got interested in shooting with me when she was nine years old. She already had hands as large as many adults women's, but due to her age they were fairly weak. She had trouble with the DA triggers of the 22 revolvers I happened to have, and also had trouble cocking them back to shoot them SA. Once she had them cocked, she never had trouble with the SA trigger pull, but cocking them was a chore. That's why the Single Six was best for her - cocking the hammer back was much easier.

Yesterday my colleague and I took our daughters shooting with us. Mine is 11 now, and his is 13. They both shot everything we brought (except for a .45). All in all the Single Six and 357 Blackhawk (loaded with 38's) were the easiest for them. The SA triggers are nice, but the main thing is that the hammers were much easier for them to cock than the hammers on the DA revolvers we'd brought.
Old July 27, 2016, 08:35 AM   #13
g.willikers

^^^
The trigger is only part of the equation.
Cocking back the hammer may prove to be the real problem.
Some semi-autos may actually be the easiest to use.
Old July 27, 2016, 10:04 AM   #14
Deej92

Awesome insights here. Thanks for busting out the digital reader, Driftwood.

I like the idea of having a convertible (22lr and 22 mag), so I'll probably go the ruger single six route with the power set if the pull is too heavy. Based on what I have found, the K22 is significantly more expensive than the ruger even with the extra parts.

Thanks a lot, everyone. I really appreciate it.
Old July 27, 2016, 11:12 AM   #15
BigJimP

Don't overlook the issue of the effort it takes to "cock the hammer"....in case that is a problem...or manipulating the slide if you go with a semi-auto.

In .22's.../ in revolvers I prefer the S&W's..but yes they are more money, my S&W model 18 ( 4" barrel ) ...in SA is right at 2.5 lbs..

I have a model 617 ( stainless version of the older model 17's ) ...that in SA is at 2.75 lbs..
------------
If you can manipulate the slide...Browning Buckmark is another option ...and I have one of the less expensive models the "camper" ...and trigger is just below 2.5 lbs.. / but take into account the effort to rack the slide ..and loading the mag with cartridges.
------------
I don't know your situation - but sometimes wearing gloves can help ( like a pair of Golf Rain gloves - Footjoy makes them in a high tech fabric - in pairs for about $25 / thin enough to easily pick up a coin...) ...might firm up your grip a little...
Old July 27, 2016, 11:17 AM   #16
44 AMP
Staff

I have seen a slicked up Blackhawk (.45) with a 12ounce trigger pull (measured on one of the old spring type trigger pull scales, so accuracy is questionable), but it was VERY light. The gun has the original factory springs.

On a single action revolver, I don't find that light a trigger to be a hazard.

If it can be done to a new model Blackhawk, it can be done to a Single Six.

IF that is what you want...

Also, if going the Single Six route, I would recommend the Super Single Six convertible. Not so much for the .22WMR cylinder (for me, personally) but for the adjustable sights.

I am a firm believer in adjustable sights, even if you never need to adjust them, having that option is a good thing.
Old July 27, 2016, 11:37 AM   #17
reddog81

If you can checkout some semi auto's I wouldn't discount them right off the bat. Often times with 22's the slide is fairly easy to operate. I have Colt Woodsman's and a Hi-Standard auto with trigger's around 2 lbs and the slides are much easier to operate than your average pistol.

For revolvers, personally I choose to take my K22 shooting way more often than my single six. The K22 is much easier and quicker to load and unload, and it has a better trigger. I find that the K22 is also much more accurate.
Old July 27, 2016, 11:57 AM   #18
T. O'Heir

Hi. Before you fiddle with triggers(that part is relatively easy), have you tried any revolvers on for size and your ability to hold 'em up and still? A 5.5" Single Six, for example, weighs 33 ounces(2 lbs.).
A pistol may well be better than a revolver, but you'd still have the weight issue. If it is an issue.
Your Physiotherapist got you squeezing sponge rubber balls(half of one of those red, white and blue sponge rubber balls.) or whatever to strengthen your hand?
Old July 27, 2016, 11:11 PM   #19
jackmoser65

A $300-$400 Old Model Single Six can have a trigger that rivals any K-22, without any parts swapping. With a spring kit, 2lbs is possible. With a professional action job, 2lbs is to be expected. A New Model will need professional help to get anywhere close to that.
Old July 28, 2016, 02:44 PM   #20
Deej92

Got one!

http://i.imgur.com/ZYUESYP.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/9gd9nbg.jpg

Behold, the Uberti Stallion!

Never even seen or heard of Uberti, but the gun had much less metal in the barrel and balanced better in my hand than the Single Six. It is also a convertible (22lr/22mag). I don't have a measuring device, but the trigger felt lighter than the ruger's as well.

My only regret is not having adjustable sights. But I won't be competing with this, so I can adapt to any misalignment.

I want to thank you all for the advice. It was very helpful. Does anyone have any recommended trigger-lightening kits for this particular gun?

Wolff offers this. If there is anything better, that could get the pull down to around (or less than) 2 lbs, I'd be set. I can pull the trigger as it is now, but my finger fatigues after a few dozen pulls.

Last edited by Deej92; July 28, 2016 at 05:30 PM.
Old July 28, 2016, 03:50 PM   #21
roaddog28

Look around for the older S&W K22 or the later model 17. They are not cheap but are the best revolvers I ever handled. I have weak hands and cannot handle a heavy trigger pull.
Good luck.
Howard
Old July 28, 2016, 04:40 PM   #22
rep1954

DEEJ92 do everyone a favor and fix your pictures.
Old August 1, 2016, 04:19 PM   #23
ThomasT

Nice gun DeeJ. I was on Uberti's site a couple of days ago and it stated that their guns have Wolff springs in them. I don't know if its possible for you to do but maybe work on some hand excercises to strengthen your grip.

Last edited by ThomasT; August 4, 2016 at 02:27 PM.
Old August 3, 2016, 04:29 PM   #24
Deej92

Ahh good to know. Thanks, ratshooter. Saved me a few bucks.

Tags
action , light , modification , single , trigger