The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old December 16, 2012, 10:17 AM   #1
maxman894

8mm 98/40 Mannlicher

I recently purchased what I thought was an 8mm Mauser. After doing some research, I realized that it is in fact a 98/40. I have no clue when it was made, but it has what I think is a low serial number. Where can I go to have this gun dated? I would like to know where and when it was made.
Old December 16, 2012, 10:57 AM   #2
Jim Watson

The 98-40 is a Hungarian 1935 modified to take German clips, ammo, bayonet, and sling. The bolt handle is turned down and it is stocked to handle as much like a Mauser as the bolt handle location allows.

The action remains more like a Mannlicher with split bridge and separate bolt head; plus a two piece stock akin to SMLE. Those design features were probably built into the factory to the point that it was not worthwhile to just change over to making real Mausers.

There is an article at:
http://hungariae.com/Mann9840.htm

It covers the debate about where in Hungary they were manufactured and gives such production data as is still available. All production was from 1941 through 1944. There ought to be a date code on the receiver ring, and the WaA stamp is also an indication.
Old December 16, 2012, 02:39 PM   #3
maxman894

Jim, thank you so much! This helped me out immensely. Mine was apparently made in 1941. I now happily own a piece of history! Thank you!