The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old November 10, 2012, 09:21 AM   #1
Rifleman1776

"locked out" means what?

A relative in a very anti-gun state has a friend who just inherited a bunch of black guns. Among them is an AR auto which has been "locked out", supposedly making it a legal semi-auto.
I don't know what that means. I suspect it may be a selective fire that is only set at semi. That would mean the rifle is really a machine gun and the current owner might be subject to a lot of Federal doo-doo if he doesn't act quickly and turn over to the Feds.
I am I right or wrong on this?
Old November 10, 2012, 09:42 AM   #2
Microgunner

Colt filled the space in the lower receiver where the auto sear would reside with a block of hardened steel to prevent anyone from converting their rifles into a select fire arm.
This may be what their refering to. Possibly?
Old November 10, 2012, 10:41 AM   #3
Willie Lowman

You might get clarification on the term "locked out" before you start saying someone is in trouble with the law.

And by clarification, I mean from the person with the rifle, not strangers on the internet. They may mean a bullet button magazine, they may mean a Colt Sporter like Microgunner was referring to. They may mean they lock it outside their house at night so it can't pee on the carpet.
Old November 10, 2012, 10:02 PM   #4
James K
Member In Memoriam

I have never heard the term in that context, but I also have never had a rifle go weewee on the carpet, so what do I know?

Jim
Old November 10, 2012, 10:20 PM   #5
ohen cepel

Never heard of that term related to firearms and the law.

NRA Life Benefactor Member
Old November 11, 2012, 11:22 AM   #6
Skans

The piece of hardened steel inserted into the rear of the Colt AR's with a blind pin is referred to as a "sear block".
Old November 13, 2012, 11:04 PM   #7
Superhouse 15

At one time a local law enforcement agency had M16s with a sheet metal piece between the lower receiver and pistol grip. That piece had a tail that extended up the side of the lower and physically prevented the selector from moving to the FA or Burst postition. It was too easy to defeat so they eventually pulled the auto sears and installed semi conversion kits.

In any case, the gun was still an automatic. I don't know about your situation but a part that could be called a "lock out" exists. It is possible it could be a legal gun and it is possible to inherit one legally. It is also possible to get extremely arrested for messing with it. More info is needed.
Old November 15, 2012, 10:50 PM   #8
medalguy

Yeah, not sure what you have, but an M16 lower with all the holes drilled and material removed for the auto sear and disconnector is definitely a registerable item.
Old November 16, 2012, 08:11 AM   #9
Skans

Quote:
an M16 lower with all the holes drilled and material removed for the auto sear and disconnector is definitely a registerable item.
It's definitely not registerable. Not unless BATFE initiates some kind of amnesty program. It is just a one way ticket to Prison. On the other hand, removing the hardened steel block that Colt put in its lowers is not illegal. I've heard it is difficult, though, and could hurt the value of a Colt firearm.
Old November 16, 2012, 08:27 AM   #10
zincwarrior

Quote:
I have never heard the term in that context, but I also have never had a rifle go weewee on the carpet, so what do I know?
I now have this image in my head of my tiny ancient 8lb wiener dog, sporting a tiny AR-15, and even tinier Rambo headband, going outside to deal with the local squirrel...
Old November 17, 2012, 01:08 AM   #11
David Hineline

New production machineguns and confiscated contriband guns are registered all the time.

To be transferable to a non dealer, non government entity, that had to happen before 1986