The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old January 5, 2011, 08:28 AM   #26
Doc Hoy

Mykeal

I am asking this question because I truly do not know. I am not trying to be impertinent.

Is it legal to give black powder away....to give it to someone without remuneration?
Old January 5, 2011, 08:36 AM   #27
mykeal

Good question, Doc. According to BATF, no. They cite the practice of some retailers giving away free samples of food items in supermarkets to entice people into buying the product. The retailer is 'in the business', and giving away samples is a business technique.

Seems pretty far fetched to me, but that's their position. Again, I've only heard rumors of prosecutions based on such tactics; I don't personally know anyone. The most popular rumor is that of an arrest at the Spring National shoot at Friendship a few years ago. I have read the regulation language on the BATFE web site, however, and it does use the term 'in the business of'. It all boils down to what it means to be 'in the business of'.
Old January 5, 2011, 10:07 PM   #28
B.L.E.

My gut feeling is that this would be something they would arrest an individual for only if they were already looking for some excuse to arrest that individual, especially if he was only sharing a reasonable amount of powder with a friend who obviously uses it legally.

Now, if someone builds a pipe bomb and the ATF finds out that you gave him that black powder, that would be a whole nuther story.