The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old December 24, 2006, 08:45 PM   #1
ZeroJunk

Advice on BAR

I want to buy a BAR.I like the old blond stocks on vintage rifles and see them on the auction sites.But,I'm wondering,with the modern CNC machines would a new rifle be better?Also,is the new aluminum receiver going to be tough enough to crank down on your mounting screws without stripping?Suggestions appreciated.
Old December 25, 2006, 09:33 PM   #2
publius

The old original BAR and the newer MKII Safari are both good rifles. Most people, including myself, think that the old original BAR is the superior weapon. My opinion is based solely on my love for older things and looks but both of my gunsmiths agree with me based on design.
Old December 27, 2006, 06:09 PM   #3
MisterPX

When did they start making BAR's in AL? Only new ones I know about are from Ohio Ordnance, and they use steel.
Old December 27, 2006, 08:10 PM   #4
ZeroJunk

Mister px,we are probably talking about two different things.I'm talking about the commercial hunting model Browning BAR that has been made since the early 70's.The new lightweight stalker has an aircraft grade aluminum receiver.Bolt is steel which is all that locks into the barrel.I have no concern with it other than the mount screws stripping or galling from being dissimilar metals.Wouldn't know whether to use lock-tite or anti-sieze.The Safari model is all steel as usual.
Old December 27, 2006, 08:14 PM   #5
.351winchester

Just curious what cal. You're thinking. The .243 with quality scope is a nice general purpose rig