The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old October 24, 2006, 12:48 PM   #1
Trapp

Lookin for a 410

For my 6 (almost 7 year old) He is average size and wieght for that age. I am thinking about an adult size model. In order to fit him I would cut the stock down. That way, later on, I could dowel it back on when he gets bigger.

Squirrels will be the main prey of this gun, with an option of yotes, and deer.

yes I said deer (mind you this is Florida and the does around here are the size of labs), with the condition that I am next to him with a back up (my 44mag SBH, or one of the many rifles I have). Squirrel shots will be within 20-30 yards while deer would be 40 at the most.

This brings the question of which model? An older stevens?....Maybe a Rossi? There are plenty of single shot 410's out there, but I am not going to spend much more than $100 on one. If he doesn't like shooting animals I am not out much money, if he does, It'll be time to upgrade!
Old October 24, 2006, 01:16 PM   #2
UglyGlock

I got a stainless/synthetic rossii single shot two barrel set (interchangable .410 and .22LR) for my kids. It's a pretty good kids gun, inexpensive (less than $200 new). light, fits the 10 year-olds, seems solid.

i was not impressed with the look of the nut welds under the forearm although this is just a cosmetic problem, not structural.

It comes with a nice softcase that holds both barrels.

here's a review with pictures: http://www.galleryofguns.com/shootin...les.asp?ID=759
Old October 24, 2006, 01:37 PM   #3
Trapp

wow.....Thats an old article. The MSRP has nearly doubled in 5 years. Still definatly an option..
Old October 24, 2006, 01:43 PM   #4
lil_bro

Look at the NEF line of single shot .410's I got mine at wal-mart for $80.00 great gun.

Michael.
Old October 24, 2006, 03:01 PM   #5
Smitty in CT

Gunbroker.com has a nice Mossberg 500 pump listed for $100:

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...?Item=58753428

Smitty

"The object of war is not to die for your country, but to make the other bastard die for his." -- Gen. George Patton
Old October 25, 2006, 01:47 AM   #6
kozak6

I have a .410 H&R kicking around.

It's a decent enough shotgun. The color case hardened reciever is super cool, too.

H&R and NEF are basically the same.

You should check pawnshops. You might be able to find something more interesting for cheap.
Old October 26, 2006, 10:45 PM   #7
chris in va

I bought an NEF from a pawn shop and it has been one of my best purchases. Trigger is very nice and even being a youth model it fits me like a glove. I like to embarass the snobs at the trap range with it. I don't think I'll ever get rid of the gun.

NOTE: I believe it has a full choke however so slugs are not recommended. I think you can still fire the three pellet 00 buck though.