The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old October 14, 2006, 02:36 AM   #1
NINE

New REM 870MM XCS

Very, very interesting!

REM's TriNyte coating!

http://www.remington.com/pdfs/Spring2007_fi.pdf (PAGE 8)
Old October 14, 2006, 10:47 AM   #2
Kiel_Everett

im liking the marine magnum...i trying to decide what shotgun to ask for for my 21st birthday...i may just get that finish!

does it say how much more that finish is? my computer no like Adobe.
Old October 16, 2006, 12:03 AM   #3
CAAT1

I like that XCS! Thanks for sharing it.
Old October 16, 2006, 11:07 AM   #4
RevolverLover

Anyone have any info on the new TriNyte coating?
Old October 16, 2006, 11:26 AM   #5
9mmMike

A black MM? I may have to buy my very first "brand new" 870, ever. Cool.
IF YOU LIVE IN PA AND DID NOT VOTE, YOU DESERVE TO LOSE YOUR GUNS!
Old October 16, 2006, 11:39 AM   #6
johnbt

Only this:

"Remington’s TriNyte System

The demand for protective coatings on hunting guns has been growing for years. It’s only natural that a major firearm manufacturer would spot the trend and offer its own version. Remington has done that with its new Model 700 Xtreme Conditions Rifle coated with Remington’s TriNyte Corrosion Control System.

Remington starts with a stainless steel barreled action and treats it with a Physical Vapor Deposition (PVD) coating of zirconium nitride. PVD is done in a vacuum where the coating material is converted from a solid to a vapor and back to a solid, gradually building a film on the metal surface. The result, Remington says, is an extremely hard micro-thin coating that resists abrasion and corrosion. The coating is there for good, too. It cannot be stripped or ground off like chrome or polymer coatings."

- from www.gunhuntermag.com/features/051004Metal.htm
Old October 16, 2006, 01:24 PM   #7
fett tracking

Will they phase out the nickle plated mm's now?
Old October 16, 2006, 10:10 PM   #8
Kiel_Everett

I looked into it and its about $230 more than the nickel coated Marine Magnum.

Instead of wasting more bandwidth on a post, I will ask here:

Can you still coat the Marine Magnum with some sort of black coating, even with that nickel coating? I am looking into purchasing the Marine Magnum, but am with fett about the nickel coating...not digging it..a little help?
Old October 19, 2006, 02:31 PM   #9
fett tracking

WOW theres no way I would dump 500 dollars on an express. Thats ****ing rediculous!

I would throw 400 on an 870P and the rest on teflon and oil for it.
Old October 19, 2006, 08:17 PM   #10
Dfariswheel

"Can you still coat the Marine Magnum with some sort of black coating"?

While you can coat the electroless nickel coating with any of the spray on or spray and bake guns coatings, you'll have problems with the coating not adhering to the "slippery" nickel too well.

Things just don't stick to plated surfaces very well.

"Remington starts with a stainless steel barreled action"

I wonder if that includes the 870 or it's just the bolt rifle?
Old October 22, 2006, 09:21 AM   #11
mjolnir

I wish, Dfariswheel! I've been dreaming of an all-stainless steel pump for a long time...

From the catalog...

Quote:
Featuring the extreme corrosion and abrasion resistance of our proprietary TriNyte™Black Corrosion Control System,® the new 12-gauge Model 870™ XCS (Xtreme Conditions Shotgun) Marine Magnum will serve and protect in the most extreme conditions on earth. For even more rugged endurance, all metal parts are coated with electroless nickel, and the trigger group is specially equipped to resist fouling and oxidation.
The law-enforcement-style SpeedFeed® I stock and R3® recoil pad with LimbSaver® technology work in conjunction to tame the recoil of even the most potent 2 3/4" or 3" magnum rounds. The stock is equipped with a shell holder to keep up to four extra rounds at your fingertips. Match these features with a 7-round capacity and 18" cylinder bore barrel, and you have the ultimate special-purpose firearm. Anywhere, anytime – count on it.
Now, you could infer from the poor phrasing that the gun is first PVD coated, THEN e-less coated, which is silly since the darn thing is black! So they must be applying the TriNyte Black ONTO the e-less nickel (which has nothing to do with your statement regarding spray/bake...you're quite correct there).

Also,

Quote:
TriNyte™ Corrosion Control System. Consisting of electroless nickel and proprietary PVD coating, this armor-tough, multi-layer coating is the world’s most effective barrier against rust and abrasion for
firearms, yet is only a fraction of a human hair in thickness. The only thing you’ll notice is the near invincibility.
Looks like I'll be dreaming for a while longer...still, I think I'm in for one!
Old October 30, 2006, 05:23 PM   #12
Bill T

This is my 1972 vintage Remington 700 BDL in .300 Win. Mag. that came from the factory with a blued, not "blackened" Stainless Steel barrel. These guns were quite costly for Remington to produce, and not many were made. They actually plated the Stainless with carbon steel, then blued the barrel. The barrel is stamped ".300 WIN MAG STAINLESS STEEL". Remington does have experience in offering these kind of unique finishes. Back in the late 80's S&W offered a limited run of "Blackened" Stainless Steel 686 Revolvers. I wish I had bought one. Not many were produced. Bill T.