The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old March 1, 2014, 10:56 AM   #26
Stormson

Quote:
I'm not so sure it matters about the diameter as it matters about the powder charge length. Once the powder get lit from the base and moves up the powder column it burns everything at the same rate from what I understand.
Ah-ha! Thats whats I was looking for... Wasnt sure if if had to do with overall charge, length or width... I guess if this is the case, then yeah, .44 would be the way to go... 1860 it is then, if I ever get around to it... Hmm.. Or should it be a Walker? LOL
Old March 1, 2014, 12:43 PM   #27
rodwhaincamo

That's my theory, but I can't say I know this to be true. It sounds reasonable to me though, but my sense of logic has failed me before… Might want to see if this can be verified if it matters enough.
Old March 3, 2014, 11:25 AM   #28
Stormson

Quote:
That's my theory, but I can't say I know this to be true. It sounds reasonable to me though, but my sense of logic has failed me before… Might want to see if this can be verified if it matters enough.
I would very much like to see if this was the case... I suppose the only way to find out would be to test each... Of course, thats beyond my time and financial restraints at the moment, But it DOES seem to me that this would be an interesting and important enough area of overall BP shooting, that perhaps some of the experts (with the big collections) would be interested in finding out? Maybe even important enough for Mike (Dualist) to look into for his work on the magazine and youtube? Seems that powder burn\waste would be of interest to large sections of BP shooters?

Hehe.. Dont worry man... As I age it seems that my logic is making a HOBBY of failing me!
Old March 3, 2014, 12:09 PM   #29
rodwhaincamo

It does seem reasonable to think of it in this fashion. But of course I'd think so!

But it does seem reasonable that the diameter of the charge isn't much of a factor. The powder is ignited and burns up the column, and so it's the length of the column that is the deciding factor.
Old March 3, 2014, 05:48 PM   #30
Magnum Wheel Man

interesting thought came up, when I was looking at those pictures...

BTW... for back ground, I rarely shoot cap & ball, though I've had a couple...

I've heard of cylinders chain firing ( I think that's the term, where powder lights from the front, or fire goes down a nipple that the cap fell off of ??? )

anyway, if, in the Archangle form, & the loading rod was removed, in effect, all the chambers could fire without damaging the gun ( in theory ??? ) since both chambers on the side clear the frame, & the loading rod should be about the same diameter as the balls... I'd hate for that to happen, but ( & I'm grasping here ) the modification could actually make the gun "safer"
Old March 6, 2014, 02:28 PM   #31
Trum4n1208

Normally, I don't like cut-down revolvers (love those long barrels), but I kinda like this one. I might do this one day, when I have a lot more disposable income.