The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old December 30, 2012, 05:52 PM   #26
ohiomossyoak

Lets not compare the HP carbines to the pistols..The carbines are highly reliable and fun as heck to shoot....The newer HP pistols have a slightly worse track record,but nothing the factory wont fix in a timely manner.....Of the two options given by the OP I would go with the HP....But you could pick up a new or used pistol for close to the same price range give or take...30$ or so for a S&W SD9VE(17 round of 9mm) or a Gen 2 glock police trade or any number or other guns.CZ-82 perhaps?I still like HP carbines an would recommend one anyways
Old December 31, 2012, 03:08 PM   #27
cajun47

i like my sawed off 12 ga with #4 buck for hd but i also have a 10/22 with a 25 round mag of these:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xEDo_PbAvJc

far from worthless. good luck finding the ruger 25 round mags.
Old December 31, 2012, 09:24 PM   #28
Ridge_Runner_5

Gotta say, I like the related video...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=92j3g168dIY
Old December 31, 2012, 10:33 PM   #29
SVO

The Hi-Point carbine seems to be the weapon of choice for Preppers.

The 10-22 is a good gun but the 22LR is a bit light compared to the 9mm.

Not one of your choices, but I'd look for a shotgun over the Hi-Point tho.
Old January 7, 2013, 03:27 PM   #30
adamc

Own both and like both...

My son got a (nib) hi point 9mm for xmas.
I had no experience with them, but it is very fun to shoot..

My 10/22 is about 1980 vintage with 0% failures...

IMO neither is good for HD,

go with a shotgun
Old January 8, 2013, 02:28 PM   #31
dgludwig

Quote:
10/22. Proven, reliable, accurate, cheap to shoot, a million custom options available. Just use CCI ammo and quality mags

But for home defense I'd get a shot gun
I agree with both of BigTex's points but especially the argument for the shotgun if it's the only gun to be had for HD. Mossberg Mavericks, chambered in 12 gauge, were selling nib @ Dick's Sporting Goods for $179.99 a few weeks ago.
Old January 8, 2013, 06:59 PM   #32
kozak6

You can't count on being able to get off all 25 rounds in the Ruger magazine.

You may only be able to get off one or two shots, which would make the Hi Point the better choice.

However, there are also a variety of budget pump shotguns in the price range. That's what I would prefer. A Walmart Maverick 88 would be just the ticket.
Old January 8, 2013, 09:50 PM   #33
Justice06RR

My choice would be a used 12ga shotgun for the same $250...
Old January 9, 2013, 07:44 AM   #34
Zen Archery

I'm an end results person. You want an HD gun. .22 vs 9mm? I'm going with a .147 gr bullet over a .30 gr bullet for HD.

Plus a carbine was designed for CQC/CQB

I own both the Ruger 10/22 Archangel Stock and the Hi Point 995ts ATI Stock. Love both but if someone is kicking in my door I'm grabbing the 9mm.
Old January 9, 2013, 09:50 AM   #35
Bartholomew Roberts

In self defense with a firearm, you are dealing with an immediate threat of death or serious injury. This means you absolutely need the firearm to go bang when called on.

I am only familiar with the 10/22 and while it is a good rifle, my experience has been that .22 semi-autos are very ammo sensitive.

However, assuming both rifles are equally reliable and you test your ammo selection, your next task is putting lead on meat. Which rifle are you more competent with? Which one can you manipulate in extreme stress? One-handed? With someone hanging on to the muzzle? Once you have training and handling issues down, you can start worrying about what happens to the person you shot.

There are basically two ways you stop someone with a firearm: psychological (Ow! That hurts! I do not want to be shot!) and physical (blood pressure drops to the brain and person becomes unconscious).

Psychological relies on your attacker's mindset and is not something that can be controlled reliably. To stop someone physically, you have to disrupt their central nervous system or cause a substantial loss of blood by damaging large, blood bearing organs. In order to do that, you need enough mass to penetrate to where those structures are located. Bullet design will of course play a role; but in general, 9mm is going to have an advantage here as well as make a bigger hole.

All of those aspects taken together will help decide what is right for you.
Old January 9, 2013, 04:10 PM   #36
ThomasT

Since you ask for HD I would have to go with the Hi-Point 9mm. But the 22 would work just about as well especially with a hicap mag. Plus your kids and wife could use it with very little training. But that could be said for the 9mm too.

I have both and my hipoint seems to be on permanent loan to my oldest son. I do have a marlin camp carbine that ain't going nowhere but here. I really like that gun.

But on the other side of the coin how much chance is there that you will be home invaded or burlarized? I have been buying HD guns for 35 years or better and haven't needed one yet. I have a 12 guage and a 10/22 plus a mini-14 all ready for an attack. Thankfully none has came.

If you just want to shoot and have a gun that will do in a pinch for HD get the 10/22. Learn to use it and keep a low profile. Practice is cheap. Don't advertise what you own. And the Maverick shotguns are a good deal. My buddy has one. It will do what you want to protect your home.
Old January 9, 2013, 04:41 PM   #37
ThomasT

Just thought I would add that if you want 22s that will expand everytime get the Remington Yellow Jackets. I did a bunch of test many years ago and the YJ rounds just simply work. Everytime.
Old January 9, 2013, 09:52 PM   #38
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

A major part of the home defense issue is stopping. A .22 will indeed kill, but it's not much of a stopper. A person wounded by a .22 is far more likely to continue hostile action than a person wounded by a 9mm. In comparison, the 9mm is much more of a stopper.
Old January 9, 2013, 11:01 PM   #39
Onward Allusion

Heh, Hi Point Carbines are going for $500 to $600 on Gunbroker and they're not even hi-cap anything! Insane!
Old January 10, 2013, 12:26 PM   #40
ThomasT

One of my son's friends went to the GS a couple of weeks ago to get an AR and of course didn't find one. He did get a Hi-Point 9mm and paid $400 for it. I thought he got took. If they are $600 now I guess he didn't. I may have to get mine back from my son and see what it will bring.

Hey Art I know a 22 isn't much of a stopper. My point was to not worry as much about invaders but to get a gun the OP can have fun with. If Hi-Points are $600 he can get a 10/22 and the Maverick SG for the same amount. Another poster said they were still on sale for $179 but I don't remember where.

Even during the 2008 ammo scare you could nearly always find 12/20 guage shotshells.

I had an aquaintance that got in a fight with a neighbor. He stupidly followed the neighbor into his house. The neighbor grabbed a loaded 22 rifle and shot him several times in the chest. And it didn't stop him. He turned around and ran out of the house. He made it all the way to the sidewalk where he collasped and died. He didn't live more than a few seconds after the shooting started.
Old January 10, 2013, 10:37 PM   #41
Inazone

I was asking this question (well, .22 vs 9mm) a couple years ago. Although I do own a couple of .22LR rifles and numerous 9mm handguns, I ended up buying a Hi-Point 995TS as well. After owning it for roughly a year and running every kind of ammo I could find through it, I can't say enough good things about that ugly SOB. Accuracy is great, recoil is slim to none, it will reliably eat any kind of ammo, and Hi-Point's customer service is fantastic. I managed to lose my front sight due to my own inattention, and a two-minute phone call got me a free replacement within a few days.

I wish I could find the link, but I did find a chart outlining ballistics info for various ammo through different barrel lengths, and from what I recall, 9mm in 124-grain through a 16" barrel (such as the Hi-Point) was the only 9mm round still gaining velocity when it left the barrel. Don't quote me on that, as I can't find that chart now, but it was pretty interesting. Whether that's 100% accurate or not, I can say with complete certainty that I've never experienced the same reliability with ANY .22 firearm that I have with the Hi-Point.
Old January 10, 2013, 10:52 PM   #42
5whiskey

Quote:
9mm in 124-grain through a 16" barrel (such as the Hi-Point) was the only 9mm round still gaining velocity when it left the barrel.
Don't quote me, either, but I think it would have more to do with the powder than the bullet grain. Slower is almost always better when we're talking longer barrels. The thing is, almost all 9mm powders are very quick burning so few 9mm rounds gain much from the last 4" or so of barrel on the Hi-point. Either way, it's still doing more than it would out of a pistol.

To the OP (if his mind isn't made up, this thread is old), I would go with the Hi-point. It's not that I love the carbine... I really don't. I would prefer a 10/22 all day for plinking, hunting, fun, etc. You're asking about home defense. A 10/22 would be reliable if it weren't for the ammo feeding it. I don't trust any brand of .22 ammo to be 100% (or even 99%) reliable.
Old January 14, 2013, 11:38 PM   #43
HawkeyeNRAlifer

I have a Hi-Point with the ATI stock and three 10/22's to choose from. While I have many other firearms that would be a better choice, if I had to grab one of the two it would be the 9mm. That said, if I only had a 10/22 available in an shtf situation, I'd make it work.
Old January 15, 2013, 08:25 PM   #44
jkloeker

While I think there are better choices, I dont think either one is a bad gun when compared to no gun. Here is a link to a recent article where a .22 was enough.

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/news/...ert/57580692/1

The best part? Because the gun was used in a murder, it had to be confiscated. Many local residents offered there guns for protection and the local pawn shop told him he could borrow any gun he felt comfortable with!