The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old November 10, 2002, 11:00 AM   #1
LASur5r

Tendency...under extreme stress?

Recently, I posted a thread that started me thinking about what happens to others during a sudden and immediate threat,

Do you focus suddenly on the threat, omitting everything else or

Do you scan the area if the threat is not about to immediately come in physical threat with you?

I believe the term is tachy psyche phenomena? (sp?)

My take on it? Depends on the threat.

About a year ago, my wife, daughter, and I was attending a wedding reception in a neighborhood that I wasn't familiar with. So at about 8:30 p.m. we decided to leave the party and get our car just parked on the street outside of the parking lot for the restaurant. As we walked up the sidewalk, I noticed a lone individual in a trench coat walking quickly to where his path would intercept ours....I immediately gave instructions to my family so we veered across the parking lot. The individual speeded up. My focus was on this individual, where his hands were, physical description, etc....then I instructed to slow down slightly so I could scan our surroundings, while I reached for my CCW.
When I snapped the safety off with a distinctive click, the individual started running but in a different course, muttering to himself.

Around the same time of the year, I was in a shopping mall with some friends when I heard a toddler crying. Seems like I was the only one because I saw the toddler starting to stumble onto the escalator without an adult around him. Without thinking, I focussed completely on the toddler as I ran to him, scooped him up as he was about to fall, then when I had him safely in hand I turned to scan the area and found his parents who were still window shopping....totally unaware as to where their baby was until he cried when he looked into my face, but that is another story altogether. Dad looked a little resentful when I brought his kid down the escalator and suggested that they keep a better eye on their kid. The mom muttered something that sounded like thanks. I just kept on walking back to my friends.

So what has happened to you in the past when something put you under stress?

Just curious.