The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old November 15, 2012, 08:32 PM   #1
terrybarb3

Eotech vs. Leupold Prismatic

I own several Eotechs for my rifles and use them recreationally. (target and hunting).
I have an opportunity to purchase the Leupold Prismatic for about $330 and as the price is good I wanted to see if anyone have experience with both and what is:
-) the operational differences?
-) Is one proven better than the other?
-) Why

Basically, why did Leupold build the Prismatic 1x when there's already the battle proven Eotech?

I love Leupold, but didn't they just build an "i can to? part that is very expensive?

Thoughts on the Prismatic and its performance/comparison are appreciated.
Old November 16, 2012, 06:21 AM   #2
dayman

I haven't used one, but I have looked into both pretty extensively One upside with the leupold is that the glass is etched as well as having the red dot, so it is usable without batteries.
Old November 16, 2012, 08:40 AM   #3
Tomac

I've owned both.
Prismatic pros:
Doesn't need batteries for daytime use, wide FOV, good glass/light gathering, very rugged, generous eyebox, illumination module easy to activate, finger-adjustable W/E, adjustable focus for a sharp reticle.

Prismatic cons: Eye relief, parallax, mount could be better (aftermarket mounts available, though), changing brightness levels requires multiple button presses, short battery life (appx 250-300hrs on the lowest level, my own tests), uncommon battery.

Eotech pros:
Excellent circle-dot reticle provides both speed & precision, wide FOV, multiple battery options available.

Eotech cons: Buttons slow to activate/adjust, relatively short battery life, 100% dependent upon batteries, many more reported problems (delaminating HUDs, loss of zero, loss of nitrogen purge, battery springs compressing over time leading to recoil-induced failure, laser emitter coming loose, electronics failure requiring removal of batteries to reset/fix.

I love the Eotech's reticle but I no longer trust them and would take a Prismatic over Eotech any day of the week despite its limitations.
HTH...
Tomac