The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old January 7, 2012, 10:44 AM   #1
abber

Newbie (to shotguns)

I have been a handgun shooter for almost 30 years now, but I have pulled the trigger on a shotgun, maybe 100 times. Therefore, I know almost nothing about them. I don't hunt, and don't plan to. I just love shooting, and best of all, shooting stuff. Canned goods, melons, shaving cream, old household items, you get the idea (I ALWAYS pick up the mess afterward and dispose of the scrap responsibly).

Anyway, all that said, I just picked up a Remington 887 tactical 12ga. I would like to know what kind of loads would best suit my style of shooting. Probably no more than 25 yards, and likely much closer, with targets as small as a can of soda. Probably slugs will be fun, but I want to get good with something that would double as a good HD load. I don't mind stout recoil, but like to mix it up a bit. This gun (as you probably know) will take any 12ga, ammo interchangeably.

I know this is a very wide open question, with no definitive answers, but I pick up the beast on Tuesday, and I want to get a couple hundred rounds to bring home with it.
Old January 7, 2012, 10:51 AM   #2
Drummer101

I have a Remington 870 with an 18 inch barrel (smooth bore) and I like it.

But it only has a front bead sight and I wish I could put rifle sights on it for the slugs on those dangerous melons and water jugs without tapping the receiver...

But for 25 yards smooth bore is the way to go because the ammo is so much cheaper (50 cents a shot).
Old January 7, 2012, 11:04 AM   #3
abber

Mine has a rail, and I have an Eotech XPS2-0, so a quick and dirty sight upgrade is definitely an option.
Old January 7, 2012, 11:08 AM   #4
Drummer101

I was not able to find a link but for the ammo I just get cheap Federal 2 3/4inch slugs from Fleet Farm.

$2.50 for 5 I think.
Old January 10, 2012, 07:13 PM   #5
WV_gunner

Old January 10, 2012, 07:46 PM   #6
zippy13

For your intended shooting environment, the bargain basement Dove/Quail loads will work fine. They are typically loaded with 1 or 1 1/8-oz of #7 1/2 or 8 shot in a 2 3/4" hull. These approximate the costly standard lite target loads and will mess up a melon at 25-yrds. For serious HD and HD training, step up to 2 3/4" LE/MIL buck shot loads -- they'll send your melons to the moon. IMHO, slugs are for deer hunters.
Old January 11, 2012, 01:59 PM   #7
WV_gunner

Apparently, my other post had a problem.
For a lot of fun at the range with low recoil, try Federal 2 3/4 000. Some guns are different though, might hurt more in yours.
Old January 11, 2012, 02:38 PM   #8
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

There's no ineffective 12 gauge slugs, so just buy some five packs of various Rifled Slugs and Brenekkes, bench test until one shows superior accuracy,l then buy lots of that one. Repeat with sundry buck loads.

With a little practice, most folks can keep them inside 3" at 50 yards with a bead, so hold off on any sight upgrades for now. What needs upgrading's you and your shooting.

For practice, the generic bulk pack loads SHOULD work fine, but lots of folks have reported trouble with the Winchester stuff.

Get 1 oz or even better, 7/8 oz birdshot loads for practice. Breaks will be solid if you do your part and recoil much less.

Be safe, have fun, shoot lots.....