The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

View Poll Results: Which of these 3, especially considering reliability, for carry?
Kahr PM9 (9mm) 67 51.54%
Springfield XD Subcompact (9mm or .40) 23 17.69%
Colt New Agent (.45) 40 30.77%
Voters: 130. You may not vote on this poll

Old September 8, 2011, 09:47 AM   #26
C0untZer0

Since when is a Glock thin?

Does Glock make a Glock that I don't know about?

Are we saying a Glock is thin compared to a Deseart Eagle .50 AE ??? A Glock is thin compared to Roseann Barr ?

How is a Glock thin?
Old September 8, 2011, 10:23 AM   #27
dreamweaver

of the 3 listed, the PM9 is best for year round carry. very easy to conceal and very reliable after it's broken in. i carried in a smart carry w/o issue.
the colt new agent is not that small of a gun. it's the same frame as the defender .45 i can't carry the defender unless it's under a coat. just too big for me to conceal well.
a better choice would be the agent/defender 9mm
better yet is the EMP9. i'm a skinny runt and the emp is easy to carry concealed. they also have it in .40.
just my 2c
Old September 8, 2011, 10:31 AM   #28
GreySmoke

I recently came across this little guy you might be interested in.

http://www.sccyindustries.com/
Old September 8, 2011, 10:33 AM   #29
Uncle Malice

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Walther PPS. Absolutely the best pistol in the group. Just about a perfect trigger.
Yep. Best of breed, hand down.
This.

You forgot to add it to your poll. I voted Colt instead - put I'd steer you back to the PPS is possible.
Old September 8, 2011, 11:03 AM   #30
Carry_24/7

Another vote for the PPS
Old September 8, 2011, 11:08 AM   #31
RetiredMajor

The Kahr also has the new CM9 which I haven't held yet. Might be a good fit for you.

Last edited by RetiredMajor; September 8, 2011 at 11:16 AM.
Old September 8, 2011, 11:14 AM   #32
RetiredMajor

Quote:
I'm not going to argue. I'm just going to give a short first hand account.
I bought a CW40 a while back for a concealed carry gun and took it out every other weekend to get it broken in. it had about a FTF or FTE about once every box for the first 200 rounds and then it smoothed out. however between 3 seasoned shooters niether myself, my brother or my brother in law could hit a torso at 15 yards. I thought it might just be issues with us but then after about 400 rounds the slide locked back after every single shot. I called kahr and the rep told me that they recommend sending it in for servicing every 250 rounds or so...I dont know about you but that's a terrible gun, I sold it and immediately got a sp101 instead, failure free and a tackdriver since the day I bought it.

if you build a gun that needs to be broken in and never fired again then you can shove it where the sun dont shine.
I think you were all limpwristing it. ha ha ha Seriously, you expect us to believe that Kahr Customer Service told you to send the gun in every 250 rounds. THAT is funny!
Old September 8, 2011, 03:36 PM   #33
Big V

I'm gonna throw another in the picture. Sig 232. Very nice pistol. Very reliable. Very concealable. Forget about Khar, forget about Ruger, forget about Glock, go with tried and true a real concealable pistol Sig Sauer P232.
JMHO

Glad to be here!
Old September 8, 2011, 03:48 PM   #34
jimbob86

Which trigger type do you shoot best?

DAO? (I think the Kahr is, not sure.)

DA/SA? (Like a Berretta 92 or 96)

Striker fired? (XD, I think ....)

SA? (The New Agent is the 1911 with the funky sight channel instead of traditional sights, right?)

Last edited by jimbob86; September 8, 2011 at 04:35 PM.
Old September 8, 2011, 04:33 PM   #35
S_Constitutionist

I am a single action guy all the way IF I have a choice... my winter carry gun is an STI 1911 (also used in USPSA) and a Hi Power shares both duties along with IDPA.

If I knew I was going to be in a pistol fight, I'd bring one of those two. That being said, many of these small pistols are designed for up close and personal work where a long double action pull may be more desirable due to not having a manual safety. I also think its important to be versatile... My little PF9 took some time to get used to, but now i'm happy with controlled pairs at 7 yards and thats what I bought it for.

The only trigger system that I'll never own is a DA/SA - It seems silly to me, but a lot of folks like them.
Old September 8, 2011, 04:48 PM   #36
jimbob86

I think it a bad idea to mix trigger/safety system/manual of arms/holsters ...... at crunchtime, you may do like that guy from Texas...... he had been shooting with two different holsters and guns..... got confused and shot himself in the leg ..... on youtube.....

Shoot one system. It would be a bad thing to practice a lot with a PF9 and then be Carrying a 1911 or Hi-Power and be yanking on the trigger to no avail...... having your thumb's muscle memory forgotten it needed to swipe the safety off on the draw........ meanwhile, Karl Krackhead is beatin' on your coconut with whatever is handy......

I Carry a 1911 ...... and do not shoot DA's ........ I even shoot my DA revolvers SA, most of the time, and I don't Carry them.
Old September 8, 2011, 05:21 PM   #37
vyse.04

Quote:
I called kahr and the rep told me that they recommend sending it in for servicing every 250 rounds or so...I dont know about you but that's a terrible gun, I sold it and immediately got a sp101 instead, failure free and a tackdriver since the day I bought it.
To me that is silly. I have read about your issues that you had with Kahr, but to say every Kahr is fragile because of your experience with ONE handgun is a bit extreme. I really like my K9 (I am normally not one to bash brands or worship them for that matter) and there are plenty of others who feel the same. That mention of servicing every 250 rounds is a little off to say the least, and I'm not sure that there is a single person working in the customer support area who would say that. To be honest, if I heard that I would immediately ask to speak with someone who knows what they are talking about.

As far as the poll, I would say to look at the PM9/MK9 or P9/K9. I originally wanted to buy a PM9, but they were a little too small for my liking so I went with a K9. To me the extra weight is a blessing, and I prefer the full grip while still retaining the slim profile. Also, I wouldn't say that the XD is slim given all the choices you have with a single stack design.
Old September 8, 2011, 05:29 PM   #38
Doug11606

I have a Glock model 36 (45 cal.). It is small in size which makes it a good choice for a carry weapon. It is only a single row mag which reduces the width of the grip. This results in the gun having a good feel in your hand. The accuracy is good. The down side is if you shoot rounds larger than 185 grain it tends to be a pinky pincher. All and all I am happy with the model 36 and would recommend to others.

Hope this helps.
Old September 8, 2011, 05:51 PM   #39
RC20

Hijack Notice: They are for us old farts who grew up mostly with revolvers and 1911s and just can't stand something that looks like it will go boom by looking at it!

Quote:
The only trigger system that I'll never own is a DA/SA - It seems silly to me, but a lot of folks like them.
Old September 8, 2011, 07:00 PM   #40
Mrgunsngear

My Kahr CM9 has been 100% and is plenty accurate for SD purposes. Second choice would be the 45. I had 2 XDs (including a 9mm compact) and both weren't as reliable as my Glocks, FNs, S&Ws, or my Kahr. I know others love them, but I wasn't impressed.
Old September 8, 2011, 07:09 PM   #41
Sharpsdressed Man

Don't know where this "fits" between all the others, but the S&W 3913/3914 series (especially the ones with the single sided safety, like the Ladysmith style) are especially flat, and have an almost perfect reputation for reliability, quality, and accuracy. They have very flat, Delrin grips, that add little to the girth of the gun. Very easy to conceal, and even easier to shoot. I've even concealed one on the ankle.
Old September 8, 2011, 07:21 PM   #42
Don Glock

Quote:
Since when is a Glock thin?

Does Glock make a Glock that I don't know about?

Are we saying a Glock is thin compared to a Deseart Eagle .50 AE ??? A Glock is thin compared to Roseann Barr ?

How is a Glock thin?
C0untZer0 is offline Report Post
g36.
Old September 8, 2011, 08:17 PM   #43
AustinTX

Quote:
at crunchtime, you may do like that guy from Texas
That idiot is not from Texas.
Old September 8, 2011, 09:00 PM   #44
Justice06RR

My vote is for the XD. tough as nails and I've never heard anyone having any type of issues with this gun at all. I'm sure there are a rare few, but its very remote. I've owned one, and if reliability is your main concern vs slimness then XD is the way to go.
Old September 8, 2011, 09:16 PM   #45
orionengnr

Lots of "opinions"..

and we all know what those are like...
Quote:
of the three, kahr is very fragile, has terrible customer service and turns out more lemons than good guns.
I'd like to see some supporting documentation for this assertion. My experience is 180 degrees out. Kahr had some problem PM9s within a certain s/n range (mine included) and fixed them quickly and effectively. After it's one trip back, mine has worked perfectly for the last five years...including daily carry and weekly range sessions for 3 1/2 years.
I have owned a lot of handguns of varying calibers. The only sub-.45acp pistols I currently own are the PM9 and and LCP. These days, I carry a .45 every day, so the PM9 and LCP spend most of their time in the safe...but I'm not selling either one.
Quote:
I called kahr and the rep told me that they recommend sending it in for servicing every 250 rounds or so...
This is BS, pure and simple.

There is no double-stack anything that qualifies as "slim".
Period. End of story. If you want a slim, concealable pistol of any caliber, a single stack is the only option.

Last edited by orionengnr; September 8, 2011 at 09:28 PM.
Old September 9, 2011, 12:39 AM   #46
michael t

I would choose Colt of the 3 listed But would be Defender I have Agent and Defender I like shooting the Defender better. Both are 100% reliable with any ammo I have tried . I carry with the Corbon DPX .
Old September 9, 2011, 01:08 AM   #47
dajowi

If I was considering a Kahr, I'd skip the poly version and get the stainless. I had a K-9 and it was almost the perfect CCW. Never a problem with the gun. Made use of their customer service and found it better than most.

Had a Glock 36 at one point. I wouldn't call it slim by any means and like the Kahr, it fired everything with out issue.
Old September 9, 2011, 02:49 AM   #48
AZAK

Location: the object towards which the action of the sea is directed
Quote:
There is no double-stack anything that qualifies as "slim".
Period. End of story. If you want a slim, concealable pistol of any caliber, a single stack is the only option.
If the OP is considering a Colt 1911/New Agent as an option, then I personally have two double stacked pistols that are just as slim or slimmer.

Wilson Combat KZ-45. Double stacked .45auto 10 round mag in a 1911. I measured mine and it's slightly thinner than all of my other 1911s (single stack mags in Government, Commander, and Officer's) across the grips.

Ruger SR9c. Double stacked 9mm 10 round and 17 round mags, also thin across the grips; widest point on the grips is just over an inch.

So, if really depends on what we define "slim" as. Colt 1911 slim? or Ruger LCP slim?

(And yes, I do CC both of these pistols; the WC being Government sized and the SR9c being roughly equivalent to a Colt Officer's in size.)

Now, go figure...
Old September 9, 2011, 04:46 AM   #49
tahunua001

again, I'm not looking to argue. I'm just stating a first hand account. I'll be happy to provide documentation for a 2 year old phone converstaion.

all text involved in said phone call will be located between the brackets.

[]

that about sums up the documentation I have on that phone call. I dont like being called a liar but I guess everyone is entitled to their own opinions
Old September 9, 2011, 05:03 AM   #50
TheJ

PM9

Tags
carry , pistol , slim , small