The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old January 4, 2012, 07:44 PM   #1
MWright936

Good Laser Sight for Tactical/Home Defense Shotgun

I have a Mossberg 590A1 I have outfitted for home defense. It has a tri-rail foregrip with a Mako foregrip/light combo. The only thing it's missing is a laser sight so I'm able to accurately shoot from the hip if needed. There are so many different kinds with such a large price range, I don't even know where to start.

Since this is a shotgun used for close range shooting, it doesn't have to be the most accurate thing in the world, but I do need it to work and not fall off. Does anybody have any suggestions in the moderate price range (around $100 or less)?

Thanks!
Old January 5, 2012, 08:54 PM   #2
lambertsteeth

I mean no disrespect.

A laser on a shotgun is overkill. Even from the hip, just practice. Spend the money on ammo, and put rounds through the gun.

If you really want one, I hope this helps.

http://www.midwayusa.com/find?&users...4&pageNumber=2
Old January 5, 2012, 09:24 PM   #3
oneounceload

Quote:
The only thing it's missing is a laser sight so I'm able to accurately shoot from the hip if needed.
Quote:
Since this is a shotgun used for close range shooting, it doesn't have to be the most accurate thing in the world
Seems to be some mutually exclusive statements. Personally, shooting from the hip is something cowboys do in the movies
Old January 6, 2012, 07:10 AM   #4
MWright936

I realize it's overkill...I know a shotgun doesn't need the pinpoint accuracy of a laser, and I know most people don't shoot from the hip. I wasn't looking for these types of opinions, I was looking for suggestions for lasers. This thing is already overkill to begin with in my opinion, but it's my new toy, I have another rail to mount something, so I want a laser. Is that a better setup?
Old January 6, 2012, 11:25 AM   #5
jaguarxk120

I would think the monies spent will better serve you better by taking a home defence class.

Having a expert take you through the different scenarois
of home defence will be much beter than a new gadget hanging off of your gun.
Old January 6, 2012, 12:34 PM   #6
MWright936

Nevermind......
Old January 6, 2012, 12:53 PM   #7
k511

I have a LaserMax and LaserLyte for my AR's, they work well...
Old January 6, 2012, 01:01 PM   #8
Venom1956

Lol constructive criticism its harsh at times...

If you NEED that laser anything under 100 bucks are about the same. Red cheap and easily mountable. Depending on how bright the room or your flashlight is i'll probably wash out anyway. If you want one get a green one. There expensive but they are better.

P.S. Classes never hurt.

Pro Tip #1: If clearing your house at night turn the lights on in each room. Works waaay better then a flashlight.
E-Shock rounds are engineered to expend maximum energy into soft targets, turning the density mass into an expanding rotational cone of NyTrilium matrix particles, causing neurological collapse to the central nervous system.- Yeah I can do that.
I guarantee you will know it if a bicyclist hits your house going 1000 mph. -Smaug
Old January 6, 2012, 01:09 PM   #9
NYCShooter

Quote:
Personally, shooting from the hip is something cowboys do in the movies
Hip, and underarm shooting, are perfectly acceptable for HD or CQB. While firing from the shoulder might ultimately be more accurate at distance, hip and underarm shooting are just as accurate in close quarters and typical HD distances. In addition they are quicker to execute than shoulder firing and provide better gun retention.
Old January 6, 2012, 01:25 PM   #10
NYCShooter

Any of the established brands will work: LaserMax, LaserLyte, Crimson Trace. Money no object: Surefire X400 combination light/red laser http://www.surefire.com/X400product or the much less expensive, but very good, Streamlight TLR-2 http://www.streamlight.com/product/product.aspx?pid=81
Green lasers are better for daylight use, red for night.
Old January 6, 2012, 01:44 PM   #11
MWright936

Thanks for the recommendations!!
Old January 6, 2012, 02:50 PM   #12
oneounceload

Quote:
Hip, and underarm shooting, are perfectly acceptable for HD or CQB
Sorry, regular folks engaging in CQB in their own homes? That's the stuff of video game commandos, not real world people - and neither are acceptable when accuracy is the goal
Old January 6, 2012, 03:13 PM   #13
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

I see little need for a laser on a HD shotgun, but if you do, get a cheap green one, fire 20 rounds of heavy loads with it installed, and if it holds up you're good to go.

However, stockless shotguns work way better in the movies than in the real world. Using one is a serious disadvantage even if all your firefights take place in phone booths.

My defensive 870s are accessorized heavily, except for one that does double duty as a waterfowler. With a 21" barrel and zero addons, it's snake fast and very effective.
Old January 6, 2012, 03:56 PM   #14
Flopsweat

I've tried a lot of cheap lasers and the only one in your price range that has held up well on a shotgun is the LaserMax. Very good quality for the money and very low profile.
Old January 6, 2012, 04:05 PM   #15
NYCShooter

Quote:
Sorry, regular folks engaging in CQB in their own homes? That's the stuff of video game commandos, not real world people - and neither are acceptable when accuracy is the goal
You forgot to say IMO, because not everyone shares yours, including me.
Old January 6, 2012, 04:08 PM   #16
NYCShooter

Quote:
However, stockless shotguns work way better in the movies than in the real world. Using one is a serious disadvantage even if all your firefights take place in phone booths.
The OP never said anything about using a stockless shotgun.

Last edited by NYCShooter; January 6, 2012 at 04:15 PM.
Old January 6, 2012, 05:25 PM   #17
CraigJS

That doesn't matter! Everyone will have an opinion on everything but what was in the OP. It NEVER fails...
Old January 6, 2012, 07:58 PM   #18
Flopsweat

Quote:
Having a rough day, Oneounce? I see "regular folk" involved in home defense shootings in the news all the time, but that's just battling at close quarters, and apparently not the same as CQB. Seems to me that the point of the laser was that accuracy is the goal. I personally do just fine with a laser on a shotgun out to and occasionally beyond 25 yards. I even use one once loads for that drill, although to be honest it's not in honor of anyone here. I keed, I keed.
Old January 6, 2012, 09:43 PM   #19
lambertsteeth

"I've tried a lot of cheap lasers and the only one in your price range that has held up well on a shotgun is the LaserMax. Very good quality for the money and very low profile. "

Here is personal experience. If you really want a laser on your shotgun, consider this.

Either way, do yourself a favor, shoot the gun enough to be confident with it ( hundreds of rounds). You don't need to practice with expensive Buckshot. Then shoot it some more. It's fun. Then shoot it some more. It's still fun.